+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47

Thread: F1

AFAIA Vettel has been given the ok.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Seems so, the whole straight was under yellow, but SV passed a marshal post waving a green, so even if marshal was wrong it lets Vettel off the hook, even though they have trackside and dashboard warning lights now, flags still take precedence.

Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

Got to hand it to Kimi and Lotus, could be an interesting season.

Blog Entries

but it looks as though racing is a thing of the past, and now F1 seems to be a case of 'how long can your tyres last?' and 'can we overtake you while in the pits?'

Give me prototype sports car racing, any day! (for real men).
    cheers.....Bryan

http://qualia.webs.com/

It is a problem of their own creation i'm afraid, the rules are so restrictive that the end result amounts to almost match racing, they then have to modify things to create variables/possablity of chance. Tyres which wear out too quickly on purpose, kerrs systems which might or might not work, stalling the rear wing etc etc.

If it all works correctly, not much is left to chance in the end, thats why a wet race can be so much more exciting, it creates a variable outcome which cannot be measured or predicted acurately. Sorts the men from the boys, in a way.

It is still a spectacle worth watching, if it is free to view, but compared to moto gp it is a tad dull. I wish they would show rallycross on tv again, it was exiting to watch and much less predictable.

Blog Entries

I used to go to Oulton Park to watch touring car racing and a bike race. The bike race was very boring, at least with the cars, there was a bit of barging and banging going on. My fav is Le Mans 24 heure, I've never been, but near when the race is on, and in France, it's on the tv, full 24 Hr coverage. Even that seems a little tame, now, except for the flying antics.

Give me the days of Mansell and Prost and Lauda, and James Hunt, Graham Hill.............when men were men and spectators were worried!
    cheers.....Bryan

Enjoyed it..... not as much overtaking as other forms of motorsport, but nonetheless there was still plenty of overtaking moves to savour several of which took place on the outside of the track which was not the recognized overtaking line and was therefore quite an exciting spectacle.

I agree about the excitement of both MotoGP and Sportscar racing, and having been a regular at LeMans for many years ( before the silly "chicane" half way down Mulsanne,) however it does need a lot more effort and dedication on the part of the spectator to see the race (or for instance to access Mulsanne at midnight and for staying awake during the wee small hours) You really should make an effort to go Bryan it really is a fantastic experience, with just as much Razzmatazz as any F1 event.
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

I enjoyed it, thouroughly. Are we seeing chinks in Buttons armour? Is he able to set up a car? Last year he had Hamilton to copy, before that Rubens, just saying...

Raikkonen played a blinder, popular win too, thought Ferrari stuffed Massa (again) but Fred made the best of the opportunity.

I too think they have 'fixed' F1 bit much, would like to see tyres that reward a driver pushing, then wee'd see how good Ham really is.

However I still think it's fantastic to watch, yes it can seem boring from the outside, but to understand you need to keep up on the timing screens, there is nothing more exciting in F1 than seeing one drriver hunt down another with a different strategy, will he catch up, will the other guy respond, if he catches him, will he pass, think back to Ham and Vet last year at Houston, cracking race.

An analogy, the lesser formulae, and some bike racing, think hunting, those lower formula are more like hunting prey animals, more kills, F1 is more like hunting another predator, less kills but each more rewarding.

Blog Entries

can you imagine athletics run like F1? All competitors are the same size and weight, wear nearly the same clothing, but with different advertising. All have eaten exactly the same weight of food, and all are wearing the same shoes, supplied with the same spikes. These shoes can be changed at any time during the, although they must use at least two different kinds of spikes.

And if you are dressed in red, you can do what you like. Sound familiar?
    cheers.....Bryan

Yes but athletics is not F1 equating F1 to athletics means you don;t really get what us fans like about F1, me I find most athletics boring anyway, except maybe the sprint events, F1 is not for everyone, and yes it has been sanitized a little but there is something amazing about watching an F1 car on the edge that still gets the hairs standing on the back of my neck. Re other races, take motogp, too many passes in that discipline, if the pass is that easy it takes away some of the thrill, a great pass in F1 is talked about for years. Hakkinnen on Schu in spa for example.

Quote Originally Posted by cat's squirrel View Post
    can you imagine athletics run like F1? All competitors are the same size and weight, wear nearly the same clothing, but with different advertising. All have eaten exactly the same weight of food, and all are wearing the same shoes, supplied with the same spikes. These shoes can be changed at any time during the, although they must use at least two different kinds of spikes.

And if you are dressed in red, you can do what you like. Sound familiar?

Blog Entries

how do you know whether I'm a fan of F1 or not? I've watched maybe 95% of Gran Prix since the early 70's, and if you still talk about an overtaking move years later, that is very sad. As regards athletics, that can be boring as well, if you don't know what is going on. As for reminiscing, I had a chat with a man in the Doc's waiting room on Tuesday about Bob Beamon's world record long jump at the Mexico Olympics in 1968, which I watched live on TV.

Being a long time fan of F1, I've seen the good times, now we have a situation of a procession, rather than a race, and it will be even worse when the same engine is used by everyone. Watch the race 'til the first corner, and it's all over. Even Senna said he was just a jockey!
    cheers.....Bryan

how do you know whether I'm a fan of F1 or not? I've watched maybe 95% of Gran Prix since the early 70's, and if you still talk about an overtaking move years later, that is very sad. As regards athletics, that can be boring as well, if you don't know what is going on. As for reminiscing, I had a chat with a man in the Doc's waiting room on Tuesday about Bob Beamon's world record long jump at the Mexico Olympics in 1968, which I watched live on TV.

Being a long time fan of F1, I've seen the good times, now we have a situation of a procession, rather than a race, and it will be even worse when the same engine is used by everyone. Watch the race 'til the first corner, and it's all over. Even Senna said he was just a jockey!
    points above in bold

point 1 I never said you weren't, i too have been a fan from young, but got seriously interested in late 80's

point 2 Talking about Bob Beamons world record is different to lamenting past glories and passes in F1 history in what way?

point 3 like athletics if you know what is going on, like i said about F1

too many bashing the regs these days, f1 has always been the same, as soon as one team dominates they change thing, nothing new there, some folk will not be happy until we go back to skinny tires and paper mache helmets. When Schu was winning they changed things, then with refueling we got races that were basically 2-3 sprints, people said that was unrealistic, so now we have a more endurance centered event, and still everyone is not happy...plus ca change...

Blog Entries

so do you think that watching it for 40 odd years does not let me know what is going on? I consider myself a fan, not an obsessive. Same with a number of sports and hobbies. Bob Beamon's jump was a point in history, as it stood for 22 odd years, IIRC, I don't think we could put 'the pass in a Grand Prix' in the same category, maybe you can.

When you have played and watched as much sport as I have, one realizes that what goes around, comes around again, and again, and again...........and we call it sport? No, now it is just something to hang advertising on.
    cheers.....Bryan

Well thats set the cats amongst the pigeons.....lol.
    Lots of opinions being aired on F1 forums. Vettles a wanker, poor Mark. Mark's a dick, Vettle rules and so on, all very funny. I couldn't care less, just as long as there's unrest in the Redbull camp.
    Its all very sad in the Mclaren garage, hard to watch to be honest.
    Got to hand it to Rosberg for his professionalism taking one for the team, at least Brawn has control of his drivers unlike Horner.

Todays race should keep the 'F1 is dull' naysayers quiet for a while too.

Aye, that was interesting today, bet theres a few tantrums going on in redbull and force india

Blog Entries

highlight for me was when Hamster drove into the wrong pit. What a laugh. The rest was so boring, except for Alonso messing up.

What happened about 'no team orders'. Once again, the race was controlled from the pits. What about the racing?
    cheers.....Bryan

The rest was so boring
    Really?
    I must have been watching a different race from you on Sunday.
    Vettle and Webber battling it out for 4 or 5 corners against the wishes of the team was exhilarating, if some find that boring then I'd suggest F1 isn't for them. The Sutil v Di Resta in team battle is fascinating as is the Rosberg and Hamilton fight. Kimi's on fire, so is Massa, McLaren have turned up with a pig of a car again, watching them evolve and develop the car over the coming months will be interesting. Maldonado cant keep his car on the track, Horner cant control his drivers and the clutch of rookie drivers this season are knocking seven bells of shite out of each other. What more could a F1 fan want 2 races into a new season.
    I find cricket the most stultifyingly boring sport on the planet so it stands to reason that I make a conscious effort to avoid at all costs.

What happened about 'no team orders'. Once again, the race was controlled from the pits. What about the racing?
    Team orders have never been 'banned'. In 2002 after the Schumacher Barrichello debacle the FIA announced that only 'team orders that could influence the outcome of a race' were banned. After the 2010 season the FIA conceaded that the current team orders regulation wasn't working, the team orders rule no longer appears in the sporting regulations and correctly so, its a team event afterall (contructors championship).
    Pits stop are an important part of any racing event therefore it controls a major part of any race, tyre choice, undercuts etc, always has and always will with the current tyre regulations.

+ Reply to Thread