+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ethiopiques

Default Ethiopiques

The evocative, elusive music of ‘70s Ethiopia – the last great undiscovered music from Africa – as championed by musicians as diverse as Elvis Costello to Robert Plant, Tom Waits to Patti Smith, Brain Eno to Jamie Cullum.
    In the dying years of Emperor Haile Sellaisse I, and the first embryonic stirrings of a brutal military dictatorship to come, the soul groups, jazz combos and big bands of Ethiopia played like never before or since.
    This 2 disc release contains some of the very best tracks from the highly acclaimed éthiopiques series featuring, among many others, award-winning Mahmoud Ahmed, national icon Tlahoun Gèssèssè, the 'Broken Flowers' movie music of the legendary Mulatu Astatqé and the Ethiopian James Brown Alèmayèhu Eshèté.
    There are 20+ volumes of the original Ethiopiques series with further titles in preparation. This however is the first compilation of this remarkable music. Smouldering jazz from the moodiest midnight dive, wild jabbering vocals that make Little Richard quite polite, mighty soul brass and ancient lonely pianos create a most important historicaly time signature.
    Recording quality various throughout, which is to be expected, as some stuff was just put down on simple two track. But it doesn't detract from enjoying these cool tunes.
    Attached Images
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."

I read about this some while ago, i was into Plants collaborations at the time but never got around to it and forgot, thanks for the reminder.
    How do i obtain a copy of the sampler you sent some of the other members here, maybe someone can replicate it over here rather than you posting another ?
    It all looks very interesting.
    Thru.

Quote Originally Posted by thrunobulaxx View Post
    I read about this some while ago, i was into Plants collaborations at the time but never got around to it and forgot, thanks for the reminder.
    How do i obtain a copy of the sampler you sent some of the other members here, maybe someone can replicate it over here rather than you posting another ?
    It all looks very interesting.
    Hi thru,

What comp are you after? I am happy to post a little musical package your way. Just pm me what you would like to sample and your addy and I will get to it. No probs.
    The ethiopiques - series is superb. I have got the whole output so far and there's some more to come yet, but this "best of" is a great taster.
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."

+ Reply to Thread