+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Room Treatments

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbass View Post
    wont make your room work any better but you might feel a little more relaxed ,

try this it is bonkers but it works for me and some other peeps whohave tried it .

if you cannot turn all power swithches lights displays off , try covering them pesky leds up with a folded piece of paper and tape in it place , honestly the on light on my rega is like a spot light , also all the other little lights on power bars , etc the lot

then sit down and let it sink in , you might be surprissed at how much more relaxed you are or not??

light pollution really keeps the eyes going and in a very very small way i think act as little stress builders , crazy i know , but i also at times can hear music as colours ???

so i am, waiting for the back to front jacket boys to come along soon >

no more crazy than allining screw heads in the plugs ??? surley

jazzbass
    have to say i have found a much quicker, easier and downright neater way of stopping light from entering my eyes, I close my eyelids that i have had fitted since birth, you should try it

Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    have to say i have found a much quicker, easier and downright neater way of stopping light from entering my eyes, I close my eyelids that i have had fitted since birth, you should try it

I must admit I have owned a pair of eyelids for quite some time now and find them very good indeed.
    I find mine come in very usful during the night shift where I inspect the inside of them very regularly.

but i also at times can hear music as colours ???

jazzbass
    donno what drugs your smoking but I want some.

Nah, but seriously, this is a condition called synaesthesia and is relatively rare. From what I can gather its harmless. I watched a programme about this condition and they took extreme suffers to a concert or to listen to a classical orchestra and asked them to describe their experiences. It was great. One guy saw sounds as spiralled ribbons of colours, each note and instrument had a different colour or shade with different spiralling effects.
    Weird. Another guy could taste sound. Now I've never tasted shit before but can you imagine his reaction when the Spice Girls or Take That comes on the radio.....nightmare.
    Look here
    http://www.brighton-breezy.co.uk/
    scott

Saw a programme about that once. Its when your senses are mixed up....i.e when you smell or taste sounds or see sounds. One guy tasted fried eggs to one sound and the smell of a used nappy to another. Another form of the condition is to see numbers in front of you.
    Do to others as you would have them do to you. (Luke 6:31)

From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” (Matthew 4:17)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by eddie spaghetti View Post
    Saw a programme about that once. Its when your senses are mixed up....i.e when you smell or taste sounds or see sounds. One guy tasted fried eggs to one sound and the smell of a used nappy to another. Another form of the condition is to see numbers in front of you.
    bonkers , just emagine that shit smell etc , i am not at all in that camp , just occasionally if i am flying in a jazz group and get a bit lost i can hear a chord or two that sort of come in as colour in me head , it can happen also with the classical guys but i do not do classical gigs any more , only ameature ones , which can be a nightmare regarding correct notes etc.

jb

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Roksoff View Post

I must admit I have owned a pair of eyelids for quite some time now and find them very good indeed.
    I find mine come in very usful during the night shift where I inspect the inside of them very regularly.
    yeah but try reading a paper with your eyes closed , !!!!!!

just as a genral thing getting rid if all thoses bloody led power lights etc .

surely if your reading the paper you must have a light on in the first place or are reading in the daylight which negates the point of covering up your led power lights!!!!
    scott

just as a genral thing getting rid if all thoses bloody led power lights etc .
    surely if your reading the paper you must have a light on in the first place or are reading in the daylight which negates the point of covering up your led power lights!!!!
    scott
    When yer in a hole ....stop digging.

Sorry Ritchie but im splitting my sides at this

From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” (Matthew 4:17)

Yeah sorry JB...just pulling yer plonker.
    I know exactly what you mean about the LED lights and ceedee displays and was just havin some fun being a wakner.

I know exactly what you mean about the LED lights and ceedee displays and was just havin some fun being a wakner.
    Fortunately i can switch all my LEDs off. The blue strip next to the switches is a pain. Dunno why they put it there

the DK amp has only one small led on it but my MF dac and trans does burn quite bright when the lights are off and curtains pulled, but thats what my eyelids are for i suppose

Smile no probs

yes , what a load of old boolocks ,

no probs , just kickin back , mad as a hatter .
    jb

Back to topic. There may be some merit in this. I have to admit i have been sceptical that room treatment and speaker positioning software would have more than a minor efect. My Art speakers especially don't seem that fussy of placement but last night i was experimenting with positioning and managed to eek a little more out of them. Certainly enjoying them even more today. I did not do the geeky measurement with a tape measure or anything like that, just moved them back a bit and toed them in a bit, setting them up by ear.

Have to admit its not the most scientific of methods but it seems to have worked. One thing i noticed was that the sound didint change much as i moved them nearer to the back wall, which was a godsend as my room is relatively small, but did seem to change more as they got moved nearer to side walls. So i moved them back a bit mainly to gain extra space and the toe in seems to have provoded the biggest change in the sound.

Anyway all this is pretty irrelevant. at the end of the day i coudl talk about moving speakers an inch here and there but the main thing is it improves the musical experience. And its free.

Luckily my speakers are quite small so experimentation is pretty easy. I wouldnt recommend doing ot with Deco 20s unless you like hernias .

Thats were i think the room treatment, room plots and speaker postioning software would come in extremely handy. Much easier to set the speakers up using more "scientific" methods.

Smile

Back to topic. There may be some merit in this. I have to admit i have been sceptical that room treatment and speaker positioning software would have more than a minor efect. My Art speakers especially don't seem that fussy of placement but last night i was experimenting with positioning and managed to eek a little more out of them. Certainly enjoying them even more today. I did not do the geeky measurement with a tape measure or anything like that, just moved them back a bit and toed them in a bit, setting them up by ear.

Have to admit its not the most scientific of methods but it seems to have worked. One thing i noticed was that the sound didint change much as i moved them nearer to the back wall, which was a godsend as my room is relatively small, but did seem to change more as they got moved nearer to side walls. So i moved them back a bit mainly to gain extra space and the toe in seems to have provoded the biggest change in the sound.

Anyway all this is pretty irrelevant. at the end of the day i coudl talk about moving speakers an inch here and there but the main thing is it improves the musical experience. And its free.

Luckily my speakers are quite small so experimentation is pretty easy. I wouldnt recommend doing ot with Deco 20s unless you like hernias .

Thats were i think the room treatment, room plots and speaker postioning software would come in extremely handy. Much easier to set the speakers up using more "scientific" methods.

good on you free up grades , nice work , you dont need to worry in my opinion about scientific this and that , you have a pair of the best scientific intruments ever made strapped to each side of your head , honestly i have not meet a subjective measurement thingy yet that i cannot give a good run for its life given some time , digital tunners are one such example , correct to 3 precent etc , all bollocks , easy for the ears to do a lot better , much cheaper to.

my pal tunes his alfa by ear , he is a mechanic of course not a fiddle player , any way he checks it on the machines just in case and he is nearly always spot on , not sure what that means , but he used to do my old alfa and it went like stink, not quiet as fast as the rust saddly .
    jazbass

my bass repairer finneshe things with really small finger planes and then his fingers and can always beat a measured finnish thingy ????
    not sure again , but his finger boards are great to play on . apparently down to a hundreth of a inch , easy to find???? sounds bonkers to me .

jazzbass

Hi Eddie,
    I mucked about for a while moving the emos around and pretty much found the same as you with moving them in and out from the back wall, not much happened really. I found that they weren't to fussy at all.
    But what did make a difference was, again like you, the toe angle. Thought I had made an improvenment when I toed them in. Lived with it for a couple of days and ended up toeing them back out to their original position.
    scott

The ports being in the bottom means they will not be as affected by proximity to walls
    as rear ported speeks.
    The toe in is another story, heard so many speakers that the manufacturer says not to toe in that sound imo , shit till they are toed in.
    Suppose it all of axis dispersion and all the tech speak but to my ears getting the toe in correct is a make or break.
    My APs are a strange ball game as with two bass units on each side of the cabinet, they work very differently from 'conventional' loud speaks.
    A very nearfield listening position actually means you can stick your head forward and hear more of the bass drivers, giving a bit more fullness/body to the sound but then the imaging becomes like phones, almost as if you are in the centre of the stage?
    Further back they image like no other speaks I've heard and if one is slightly out of alignment or a bahair forward/back of the other, it's plainly obvious.
    Finicky but no big deal as I have a dedicated room.
    After listening to some Cain & Cain Abbeys at SDDW's, the only complaint I had was a lack of height to the sound, raised the speaks up on some blocks and problem solved - lifting tweeters to above ear height imo, does all manner of good things to the sound of most speakers (I,ve actually heard that is).

Abbeys straight ahead had a huge hole in the middle, toed in they were sublime and a slight cuppiness aside, I should have bought the damn things :-(
    Audiopax and full range drivers rocked my boat - well with a big feck off sub, they would have.
    I'm a fucking wanker

height complaint refers to my APs. Only cause the Abbeys had unusually high single drivers did I twig to lifting my APs up a bit..
    Othe footnote -
    if anyone ever gets the offer of a pair of Keswick Audio Torinos - buy the bastards. I had a pair and they were stunning but actually did go to 20Hz - with a 22 x22 ft garage under the lounge, it was a bass freaks dream, if a little too much for my tastes till I isolated them from the floor.
    Seriously great speakers and I bought them for 300 squid, sold them for more and still regret it - would have made a cracking workshop system.
    I'm a fucking wanker

Quote Originally Posted by Si74 View Post
    height complaint refers to my APs. Only cause the Abbeys had unusually high single drivers did I twig to lifting my APs up a bit..
    Othe footnote -
    if anyone ever gets the offer of a pair of Keswick Audio Torinos - buy the bastards. I had a pair and they were stunning but actually did go to 20Hz - with a 22 x22 ft garage under the lounge, it was a bass freaks dream, if a little too much for my tastes till I isolated them from the floor.
    Seriously great speakers and I bought them for 300 squid, sold them for more and still regret it - would have made a cracking workshop system.

re bass posrts, i find not all rear ports are as affected by wall prximity, dpends how much air is actually coming out of the port, some like a WB Curve (horrible things) blows the curtains 4 feet behind the speaker, sound awful until in free space, yet my speakers are happy 1 foot from rear wall, not much energy see. I find smaller narrower speakers are more affected by proximity to the rear wall, but it's the stereo image that gets affected, maybe because the baffle is small and moving it to the wall effectively increases baffle size.

As for toe in, i like mine with very little, and i agree about the tweeters, mine are a lot higher now due to new speakers being taller (same tweeter) and the difference is very clear.

Simon

Crossover points, 150 Hz, 2200hz 3rd and 4th order xover, 90 litre for 2 10" bass drivers, 5" mid in 2 litre sealed chamber, will get other measurements and rtoom sizes done tommorow. (having to take a day off because some selfish bastards are striking coz their pay rise ins't enough, not the way to get sympathy the ionconsiderate bastards, if striking hurt your employer, not your employers customers, eejits)

Cheers for the crossover points.
    Difficult one on the other stuff - worked for the council at one time and then and now it's just a pastime with a guaranteed income and pension for most of these ... people.
    Clueless, no idea and no customer service for the most part - the run around my missus got when her auntie died and she was trying to clear the house and hand in the keys was a comedy of errors, except for the fact that a bereaved relative can only take so much stupidity and sheer ineptitude/incompitence? Over salaried/pensioned management leading to undertrained disinterested minions ? same old story.
    Nice cars in the carpark at my local tip, sorry recycling facility and still half a dozen guys in yellow waistcoats doing squat that I can ever see - if I recall filling out the time/bonus sheets was the most ardous part of the job.
    Council tax, now what does that fund other than the tossers sending threatening letters to the daft c--t's that actually pay it? if sometimes a bit late :-)
    On the other hand I'm glad in this glorious day of the Labour? gov that at least one union tells the clowns that one law for you and another for us is shit so you can go feck yourselves, every body out!
    I'm a fucking wanker

The way my lounge is I consider my hifi position fixed. Room width, door positions in three corners and window position in relation to views and privacy, all add up to a fixed position to my system. I could get away with another position if I cut my system right down and used small speakers that don't mind even a lop sided part corner positioning. My system has grown though and it's far better where it is and also in terms of the effiecient use of space.

What's left is fine positioning of speakers ( main ones are Spendor S8e ) and room treatment panels/traps. The Spendors are large speakers for my room dimentions of 14.5 by 11.5 feet. But the way I have them they stand in good free space along ( but not at ) the longer wall. This means I have to compromise a bit on litening distance - probably a foot or two too short to be ideal - though I do manage to make a triangle, and the wall behind my head is pretty close. I can't have everything.

The Spendors are pretty bassy and I often I think I need some kind of trap system. I'm not going to go mad with it. I guess I'll try the obvious things like putting in bass corner traps. The upper frequencies are mellow with Spendor and there's lots of stuff in the room, including huge heavy velvet curtains and the wall paper is thick textured with a sort of corn field effect, which I believe might be helping to break up reflections. I don't know. It's pretty decent all round but that bass does need taming. I don't think I need panels behind me on the wall to tame treble as I say those Spendors are mellow anyway and the room isn't a particularly live one. If such a panel were to be for bass control purposes then I might have one if I was recommended it. Corner traps are my hoped for preference though as that would leave me maximum wall space for nice things like landscape photography which I have and want to add to, and room left over for pictures of Bagpuss and Hitler.

+ Reply to Thread