+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sebastien Grainger and The Mountains

Default Sebastien Grainger and The Mountains

Everything from Weezer to Cheap Trick comes to mind on this solo debut from a drummer of all people, especially with the breezy opener Love Can Be So Me. Filled with churning guitars and a glorious keyboard hook, the track is a far cry from the dirge discord of his DFA 1979 output.
    American Names is a fist-pumper corralled with Grainger's overwhelming croons, hand claps and sliced riffs, (I am Like A) River centers on his gravelly delivery and new-wave past. Because of all the disparity, the record seems to lose focus at times, but ultimately never wavers from its anthemic manifesto. Cock-rock solos fill in tracks like I Hate My Friends, but S.G. can still offer sobering, sad bastard tales a'la Leonard Cohen, as on the piano-driven Love is Not a Contest.

Grainger's passionate vocals and angsty disposition, not to mention the melodic soundtrack, is a welcome return by a man whose former band flamed out well before their time. A real surprise disc, and rising high in my best of '08 list.
    Attached Images
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    . A real surprise disc, and rising high in my best of '08 list.

must put it on to listen too list
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

Quote Originally Posted by j7 View Post
    must put it on to listen too list
    Pm me your addy and I will get a little silver disc to you.
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."

+ Reply to Thread