+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cartridge Gallery

Oi get some matching headshell bolts & Michell tags.

Paul's Pink Plaything... very sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Paul's Pink Plaything... very sexy.
    one of them, yes

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    Transfiguration Axia on Audio Origami PU7 12"

If Solid sees this he's gonna get a turntable!!

It's very metro....
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

It's even made the red cart tag turn pink.

Do you get the shakes a bit Paul mounting these pricey carts? I think I'd break them by picking them up.
    Last edited by TIU; 9th November 2008 at 23:32.

It's even made the red cart tag turn pink.

Do you get the shakes a bit Paul mounting these pricey carts? I think I'd break them by picking them up.

a little, being an ex printer helps, steady hand and keen eye, as a printer you work in micro movements, it helps, usually form unboxing to setup about 15-20 mins, it's a pinky red cart tag honest. best advice ever though is keep the guard on, Nudes are fun though, one of the trickiest fussest carts to setup is the WB ply, took me about 45m, takes ages to get vta on that bugger, doesn't come with a guard, not fun.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    usually form unboxing to setup about 15-20 mins, it's a pinky red cart tag honest. best advice ever though is keep the guard on, one of the trickiest fussest carts to setup is the WB ply, took me about 45m, takes ages to get vta on that bugger, doesn't come with a guard, not fun.....
    15 to 20 minutes to fit a cartridge is some going Prof.
    The trickiest i've ever fitted is the Dyna 10x5,no stylus guard,slanted tags that pushes against the headshell and that leads to bolt & nut alignment problems,took me 35 mins alone trying to thread the fooker into the nut,don't think i'll entertain any cart without threaded body in future.

Quote Originally Posted by weecrackpot View Post
    15 to 20 minutes to fit a cartridge is some going Prof.
    The trickiest i've ever fitted is the Dyna 10x5,no stylus guard,slanted tags that pushes against the headshell and that leads to bolt & nut alignment problems,took me 35 mins alone trying to thread the fooker into the nut,don't think i'll entertain any cart without threaded body in future.
    15 to 20 minutes? Amateur! I presume that time includes making a cup of tea.

weecrack, my advice for awkward tag fitting is fit the tags to the cart before mounting cart to headshell. This gives you much more room to operate. (This is of course if I've understood your post correctly.)

TIU,cup of tea !! felt like smashing my cups against a wall when i intalled it on my HR100s prior to setting off to Si74's ,i suppose i could do as you suggest if the headshell was offset like the Hadcock's then the tags wouldn't be a issue,add to that the wee nut and bolt,never again,infact i broke one of the tags the last time i mounted it on the SME and j7 had to come to the rescue,needless to say i wouldn't have bought the 10x5 (good cart anaw) if it wasn't a forced buy after the initial purchase of an Rega Exact didn't work out and it was on a non returnable basis ,these issues were before i found this forum.

Rant over !!

Cart fitting is the most difficult aspect of our hobby. It's no wonder a lot of folk are put off with the pursuit of vinyl because of the skills it needs.

Don't worry about breaking a tag or two, they're very delicate and it's too easily done. I bet J7 has had a few mishaps in his time. Spill the beans J.

pS. This thread is turning out to be interesting and informative... more pics of unusual carts please.

Quote Originally Posted by weecrackpot View Post
    TIU,cup of tea !! felt like smashing my cups against a wall when i intalled it on my HR100s prior to setting off to Si74's ,i suppose i could do as you suggest if the headshell was offset like the Hadcock's then the tags wouldn't be a issue,add to that the wee nut and bolt,never again,infact i broke one of the tags the last time i mounted it on the SME and j7 had to come to the rescue,needless to say i wouldn't have bought the 10x5 (good cart anaw) if it wasn't a forced buy after the initial purchase of an Rega Exact didn't work out and it was on a non returnable basis ,these issues were before i found this forum.

Rant over !!
    haha, nuts and bolts, lol, often with these it's easier to take the arm off, but if not then Blu Tak is your friend here, especially for holding the little nuts, put a small blob of blu tak on the blade of a small flat screwdriver, and stick the bolt to it (you can also tak the cart but that can be tricky unless your bolts are long) and hold the screwdriveragainst the bottom of the bolt and get it to bite. If you are using a cart that has lugs with no side on them, ie not a hole, then you can mount the nut on the bolt first in the arm, and offer the cart into this. Or buy carts with a threaded hole.

Anyway, should have my new Transfig Phoenix tommorow, then have about 30 hours break in, (bugger) will take some pics for the thread too.

BTW this is for sale, (Via Shadow Audio) maybe 20 hours use, exdem new retail 890 looking for 740

Transfiguration Axia Thanks to dedicated, passionate and innovative designers, like Seiji Yoshioka of Transfiguration, LP playback has achieved heights never imagined back in the days that bit-counters were pronouncing it dead.
    Transfiguration has developed two different ring-magnet constructions. The double, as here in the Axia (the Phoenix and like previous models of Spirit and Aria) place a ring magnet both in front of and behind the coil, allowing the coil to move in a balanced and focused magnetic field. The intimate positioning of coil and magnet creates an unprecedented focus of the magnetic field, resulting in a coherence of the musical presentation that is different from all the others.
    The intimate positioning of coil and magnet creates an unprecedented focus of the magnetic field, resulting in a coherence of the musical presentation that is different from all the others. Those who place timing high on their list of priorities will recognise the importance of the ring-magnet construction. Any time there occurs a timing (phase) shift in the complex field of sine waves that combine to re-create the sounds of harmonically rich instruments, voices, echoes (hall sounds), the possibility arises that not only will the temporal puzzle that is music not be quite put back together properly, but also, due to phase-shift that varies with frequency (often the case with an inductor -- one reason why Transfiguration cartridges constantly strive for as low an impedance coil as possible), this can lead to actual tonal inaccuracies, which many consider a priority.
    Design Concept:
    Utilising a double ring magnet for a moving coil cartridge has enabled five unique design improvements:
    Just two coils within double ring ‘neodymium’ magnets.
    No yokes.
    No magnetic irregularities.
    Coils at the crux of the magnetic focus.
    Intimate coil/magnet coupling.
    Simple resonance – free beautiful body design.
    Technical details:
    1. No Yokes.
    The two neodymium magnets and freedom from yokes enable the coils to be placed directly within the magnetic field. NOT jus close but literally inside. Rising dynamics or sharp transients never mask the detail.

2. Anti resonance cartridge body.

The solid non-resonant cartridge body with deeply cut away sides utilises both shape and material to create a totally inert environment for the electromagnetic elements. These elements are more effectively insulated from arm, turntable and tracing noises, further reducing any tonal colouration of the music and lessening the intrusion of distracting mechanical noises.
    3. Twin silver coils on the cantilever fulcrum

Minimises dynamic mass and mechanical impedance, enabling instant, accurate reaction to every groove detail, including the ability to handle massive transients without overshoot or break-up.
    4. Push pull damping

A special compound has been meticulously designed and fabricated to provide total stylus/coil alignment and control. Its non-sensitivity to temperature change keeps the damping coefficient stable and improves tracing accuracy.
    5. Special alloy core

For coil assembly increases sensitivity by 23dB, improves signal to noise ratio eliminating a usual source of distortion.
    6. Low mass tip

Ogura PA (3 x 30m) tip shares many of the advantages of the flagship MC cartridge – “The Orpheus”. Its function is to reproduce the character of the original recorded sound - not add or subtract it's own deiciencies.

7. Cartridge mount

The cartridge has been deliberately and uncompromisingly designed as a top rate product. Mechanically it locates the cartridge on a plane, which provides least variation in tracking angle relative to tonearm movement.

TECHNICAL DATA

Physical
    body: solid aluminium, non-resonant with deeply cut away sides
    cantilever: 0.3mm solid boron
    stylus: ogura PA (3 x 30mm) solid diamond
    core/coils: high grade permalloy square core & pure silver coils

magnetic material: neodymium (front & rear)
    weight: 7g

Electrical
    output voltage: 0.4mV (3.54cm/s - 1kHz)
    internal impedance: 8 ohms
    frequency response: 10Hz – 20kHz + 1.5dB 20kHz – 40kHz + 2dB
    channel separation: > 27dB (200Hz - 1kHz)
    channel balance: < 0.5dB at 1kHz
    Dynamic
    tracking ability >68m at a tracking force of 1.8g at 315Hz.
    dynamic compliance: 12 x 10-6 cm/dyne

set up instructions
    recommended loading >20 ohms
    recommend’ tracking force 2g
    optimum working temp’ 23 celsius
    break in period 30 hours
    Attached Images

All that is music to my ears but my wallet won't listen.

Hi Woody,Paisley eh? Just doon the road myself [pa5],old git as well,do you use "Missing",across fae Dooleys??

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyesox View Post
    Hi Woody,Paisley eh? Just doon the road myself [pa5],old git as well,do you use "Missing",across fae Dooleys??
    You in Johnstone Johnny?
    Do to others as you would have them do to you. (Luke 6:31)

From that time on Jesus began to preach, Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near. (Matthew 4:17)

Blog Entries

hi johnnie
    welcome to the forum m8

if you live near me ...why not drop the arm over rather than posting it
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

Default Shure M97xE

I'm very impressed with the packaging for my new cart. It comes in a brushed metal finish heavy alloy box with a small philips screwdriver, stylus brush, custom short fixings with very short bolts, an alignment protractor and fitting destructions. I'll fit the damn thing in a minute!

(Problem is, take off the cost of the metal box and accessories etc and the cart itself cost them 99p!)

I'm very impressed with the packaging for my new cart. It comes in a brushed metal finish heavy alloy box with a small philips screwdriver, stylus brush, custom short fixings with very short bolts, an alignment protractor and fitting destructions. I'll fit the damn thing in a minute!

(Problem is, take off the cost of the metal box and accessories etc and the cart itself cost them 99p!)
    those boxes will not cost that mucj, they musta had thousands made, IIRC this cartt never used to come in that box, that box was reserved for the V15VMXR.

Enjoy!!!!

Due to a cock up with elivery (My fault) my new one won't be here now till tommorow, gonna have to slum it one more night with the Axia

What made you buy that over the planned V15?

I thought the V15 3's were going for too much so for less I bought this one with a fancy brush at the front that sweeps the grooves just before the stylus. Like those folk who slide down the curling rink brushing like mad, only a bit smaller.

Shit the green tag just broke! These tiny bolts are really fiddly but I will insist on having the bolts on the bottom - it looks better. Luckily I bought a cheap 4.99 headshell as well so I'll nick the green wire off that one. Back to tongue out....

+ Reply to Thread