+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: sole chassis web site

Thank you RB - very kind of you to say so.

"Music is pure emotion and no other turntable can approach the LP12 for sheer musicality and involvement''

"I hate porky pies""

Perhaps I should have said "Music is pure emotion and no other turntable can approach the LP12 for sheer musicality and involvement when it is fitted with a Sole sub-chassis" !!

Yeah, I'm completely puzzled why so many folk are buying the Keel at £1,950 and then get them to spend another £100 - £150 having it fited and set-up. Linn have certainly got the know how when it comes to convincing folk where to spend their dosh.

They've got a very nice TT in the LP12 but come on, £2k for a lump of ally ! Takes all sorts I suppose.

Regards

JR
    Last edited by John R; 14th February 2009 at 23:13.

Quote Originally Posted by JR View Post
    Thank you RB - very kind of you to say so.

"Music is pure emotion and no other turntable can approach the LP12 for sheer musicality and involvement''

"I hate porky pies""

Perhaps I should have said "Music is pure emotion and no other turntable can approach the LP12 for sheer musicality and invelvement when it is fitted with a Sole sub-chassis" !!

Yeah, I'm completely puzzled why so many folk are buying the Keel at £1,950 and then get them to spend another £100 - £150 having it fited and set-up. Linn have certainly got the know how when it comes to convincing folk where to spend their dosh.

They've got a very nice TT in the LP12 but come on, £2k for a lump of ally ! Takes all sorts I suppose.

Regards

JR

I see you incorporated a bearing housing mounting on the sub! could you then work on a better bearing for the linn cos this is also a crap part of the deck...

Already working on it - it's on the drawing board right now, I'm working with an advanced polymer bearing manufacturer and a very high precision toolroom. From what I know now it won't be cheaper than the Linn bearing though..

I would not totally agree that the Linn bearing is crap, but it could certainly be impoved.

JR

If you change the bearing, is it still a Linn?

Quote Originally Posted by Cable Monkey View Post
    Well, all I can ask is: Is the LP12 SE still a Linn? Yes of course it is, because it is made by Linn, plus it still outwardly looks like an LP12: but it's totally different on the inside:

Cirkus bearing, Keel sub-chassis, corner braced plinth, Lingo Power supply etc. etc. Oh' but wait a mo, it's still got that crappy felt mat so it must still be a Linn then!!

And then we've got the entry level Majik LP12 (I think its spelt like that ?) with a Pro-ject arm, but it is still sold by Linn so that must be a Linn too - coz that's also got the crappy felt mat ! A felt mat that's wiped out many a cartridge over the years, but it is sworn by - by dedicated Linnyphiles - but sworn at by me !

John R

Quote Originally Posted by Cable Monkey View Post

Hopefully thats the idea not to be.

Let just forget the deck has a badge attached cos the badge means hoot.If the deck can be transformed who cares.You now the best thing about badgeless hi-fi components! Well it's this there no my dicks bigger than yours

Back on track though the bearing really need redesigning & some kind of acceptable quality for the money, shame some kinda inverted bearing culdnt be had.. nice one JR anyway..

once you go acrulic, matts are a thing of the past.

Heres another funny one, some peeps say that acrylic decks don't sound right, mind it's usually them that haven't heard one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    once you go acrulic, matts are a thing of the past.

Heres another funny one, some peeps say that acrylic decks don't sound right, mind it's usually them that haven't heard one.
    Acrylic decks are the way but a lot get the impression acrylic over use is down to cheap engineering costs..Bouncy Bouncy is deffo out as is direct drive...I'd like to see some re introduction of idle wheel idea, i know VPI did something but no one else to my nowing these days

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    Hopefully thats the idea not to be.

Let just forget the deck has a badge attached cos the badge means hoot.If the deck can be transformed who cares.You now the best thing about badgeless hi-fi components! Well it's this there no my dicks bigger than yours

Back on track though the bearing really need redesigning & some kind of acceptable quality for the money, shame some kinda inverted bearing culdnt be had.. nice one JR anyway..

If you don't like it just buy a different tt.
    Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopsaw View Post
    If you don't like it just buy a different tt.
    What you fitted a DC motor at the front for then? buy another deck

Blog Entries

What you fitted a DC motor at the front for then? buy another deck
    It's not about me is it? I don't endlessly subject other peeps to my purile prejudices.
    Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopsaw View Post
    It's not about me is it? I don't endlessly subject other peeps to my purile prejudices.
    Look chopper you know & i know that this deck is vastly overrated dinasaur & you know damned well what marketing went on during the years pulling people in , in the process....But your a Linn owner i expect you to turn a blind eye...

Piss orf now this is JR's thread

Look chopper you know & i know that this deck is vastly overrated dinasaur & you know damned well what marketing went on during the years pulling people in , in the process....But your a Linn owner i expect you to turn a blind eye...
    Yes and no, it is still a nice deck, can it be beaten objectively, well yes, but subjectivity is different, yes lots of zealots creamed thereselves over the LP12, and elevated it above all else, but thats true of a lot of things, still didn't make it a 'bad' deck, but look at the bigger picture, half a million of them have been sold, that did a lot of good for the British hifi industry abroad, the worldwide appeal of brands like Linn, Naim, cyrus, and many other brands that gained exposure at the time, is down to the LP12 and Ivors Marketing shining a spotlight on the british hifi industry, yes many problems arose from this, but a lot of good too.

Yes and no, it is still a nice deck, can it be beaten objectively, well yes, but subjectivity is different, yes lots of zealots creamed thereselves over the LP12, and elevated it above all else, but thats true of a lot of things, still didn't make it a 'bad' deck, but look at the bigger picture, half a million of them have been sold, that did a lot of good for the British hifi industry abroad, the worldwide appeal of brands like Linn, Naim, cyrus, and many other brands that gained exposure at the time, is down to the LP12 and Ivors Marketing shining a spotlight on the british hifi industry, yes many problems arose from this, but a lot of good too.
    Paul
    I would be happy to live with a LP12 if it was packed with non Linn fitting ie: JR sub & new bearing.
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 25th January 2009 at 15:16.

Yes I agree (as I'm sure does Si) that the LInn Practices and Marketing have a lot fo bad blood, BUT thats doesn't make the deck bad, and as with Chopper, he can have a great deck for relatively little money, the Vitriol you pour on the deck is aimed at the worng people, I have no problem with you slagging off LINN and Ivor, but slating the deck at every popportunity is only getting at the peeps who own one (and most of these on here who own one, bought it cheap, for the money you can buy a used 12 for, I can't think of any new decks i'd rather have for £1000 or less, and s/h well choices are Systemdeck/ thorens/Linn all the rest weren't made in enough numbers to be sure of getting a decent one at a decent price.)

So by all means have a pop at Ivor, and those that think like him, but no point in attacjking the deck, it's an inanimate object, I'm sure if you slagged off Ivor, VChops would agree with you.

I don't really care if it says Linn. Its the sound that matters. And what if they do change bits in it? It dosen't matter. You listen to a music on a TT, not scrutinise the label or the way its built or its marketing or wether it is "no longer a Linn". Does not matter a jot.

I do agree with you Andr'e that there is a lot of rot talked about aspects of the Linn (such as the mat scenario you talked about). I would gladly stick an achromat on it if it sounded better. Who care if Linnies frown on it.
    Do to others as you would have them do to you. (Luke 6:31)

From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” (Matthew 4:17)

Yes I agree (as I'm sure does Si) that the LInn Practices and Marketing have a lot fo bad blood, BUT thats doesn't make the deck bad, and as with Chopper, he can have a great deck for relatively little money, the Vitriol you pour on the deck is aimed at the worng people, I have no problem with you slagging off LINN and Ivor, but slating the deck at every popportunity is only getting at the peeps who own one (and most of these on here who own one, bought it cheap, for the money you can buy a used 12 for, I can't think of any new decks i'd rather have for £1000 or less, and s/h well choices are Systemdeck/ thorens/Linn all the rest weren't made in enough numbers to be sure of getting a decent one at a decent price.)

So by all means have a pop at Ivor, and those that think like him, but no point in attacjking the deck, it's an inanimate object, I'm sure if you slagged off Ivor, VChops would agree with you.
    We all know why don't we.Far superior products were crushed because of this farkin coffin.The Logic 'DM101' (Last version should have been the better deck IMHO. The STD305 Trouced it aswell

We all know why don't we.Far superior products were crushed because of this farkin coffin.The Logic 'DM101' (Last version should have been the better deck IMHO. The STD305 Trouced it aswell
    yes you are correct, but that still isn't the fault of the deck, it's Ivors fault, and the delaers and press of the time, so feel free to have a pop at them, but slagging the deck just annoys those who actually like what it does, it won't upset Ivor.

My God, the LP12 surely is one hell of a deck if it continually manages to create such discussion. From my point of view it is classic design, (yes perhaps much of it "borrowed" from the RD11 and TD150) but no matter what anyone says, it has sold in such vast numbers that it will always be a classic. No one can take what it, (or Ivor for that matter) has achieved away, it (they) will forever be icons.

However, it can be improved for a respectable sum of money, what gets me more than anything is the blind sheep who will not see this fact, being prepared as they are to be shafted financially. There are some pretty sad forums that show this to great effect, Linn's own is a case in point, as is the Lejonklou forum - they postively make me laugh out loud with some of the drivel spouted within.

That said, the LP12 is still a lovely TT to sit in front of, nothing nicer or more relaxing than to spend an evening with a glass of red or a tot of malt listening to your favorite music and simply float down stream, forget the hi-fi and enjoy the music; this is what the LP12 is great at and all the better if your LP12 has a Sole sub-chassis and a J7 fettled arm. What more does an audiophile crave than utter bliss?

Ah' well I digress....

John R
    Last edited by John R; 25th January 2009 at 16:40.

+ Reply to Thread