+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: sole chassis web site

The sole subchassis, it's bitchin', innnneeeett.

I been playing around with the suspension ( to improve a level problem I have & to stop the springs 'squeaking') & arm board bolts tonight. I without question prefer them 'loose'. I've gone one step further tho' taken the bolt out completely nearest the arm collar & put a tight fitting rubber collar around the other one nearest the headshell so it has less thread to chew into & not in direct contact with the arm board.

I'm playing seeing what makes a better sound for me. Just thought you all might wanna know.

This is a very strange issue p-S-f.. Most of the Guy's on the Crossover Network much prefer the presentation of their music with the arm-board bolts torqued up very tight.. So I believe this tweak to be very system dependant. I appears to give me more in my humble set up with the screws just nipped up to 0.3N-mtr.

My personal set-up: Mid 80's LP12 with my own custom top plate with motor at 7:30 postion, Armageddon, Sole MkV, Analogue Innovation modded RB250 (rebuilt & rewired with my AI counterwieght mod) Cartridgeman Musicmaker III cartridge, NAC 72 (full Acouastica and Mr Tibbs mods) Avondale NCC 200/ Minicap 6 NAP/140 power amp monoblocks, Avondale TPX1 Preamp power supply, Cambridge 640P phono stage, Usher standmounters - Bass is very tuneful and tight though this system (certainly far from bloated or one note), subtle detail is there aplenty and treble as extended as one could hope for. It really needs to be heard in person to appreciate how nice it is. I don't think trying to capture how nice a system is by recording via a PC really does vinyl playback justice, as system synergy has a major part to play in replay quality.

John R.
    Last edited by John R; 11th October 2009 at 10:48. Reason: addtional info

Here's a glimpse of a pre production Mk V Sole, ready to go out. Exactly same weight as a Linn chassis and exactly same thickness too. Much higher quality aluminium used for the skins a slightly different assembly technique but itcomes with a higher price tag (350) with fitted armboard.

Sound Quality ? Well lets wait to hear what the recipient has to say.. All the forthcoming Soles will be built to Mk V spec.

John R.
    Attached Images

Default more pictures of t' Mk V.

Just thought to update this thread with a few more piccies.
    Attached Images

Not a bad lookin dek there, John! Nice pix!

Cheers Tubey ! It aint sounding half bad either !

Yours still performin' OK I hope ?

John R.

Hey John, I continue to be delighted as I get better acquainted with my LP12.

A new shipment of records arrived yesterday from SoundStageDirect, with records by the likes of Frank Sinatra, Patricia Barber, Madeleine Peyroux, Pat Metheny, Michael Brecker, Willie Nelso and Wynton Marsallis, Sonny Rollins and last (and perhaps) not least, Jay-Z.

I plan to set aside some dedicated listening time tonight!

The occasional reference I make about the renovated deck on Facebook has got friends eager to come over and hear this "record player that can bring a tear to your eye." And I never even described it that way.

Better choose a heart rending song for 'em, just to make sure it lives up to the advanced billing.

Those who've heard it all agree that it sounds "thrilling." I find that deeply satisfying, and I hope you do too! Your Sub made a sub-stantial, heh heh, contribution!

I hope things are coming along rewardingly with the latest endeavors with your sub and the arm board.

Oh, and while I have you on the line here, if you decide that arm board makes an audible improvement over the latest Linn (like what I got), don't be shy about makin' a sales call on old Tubey here!

Regards, for now,

Brenton

Blog Entries

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBL2kzKg4nY

its bringing tears to me eyes right now!!
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

Default Great news Brenton!

I guess J7 is equally as happy for you as am I.

Regarding the arm-boards, you'll be among the first to know about the results whether successful or otherwise.

I can say that my earlier prototype arm-board after a protracted listening period was a sonic improvement over the Linn boards, but I was not happy with the grade of aluminium I chose at the time. This lead to bond quality problems along with a few other issues..

I've sorted out the aluminium/mdf bond now and also identified a suitable quality surface finish that will emulate the appearance of the Linn laminated arm- board; so it's only a matter of time before I can confirm if these changes will translate into a marketable product.

Regards

John R.

Quote Originally Posted by j7 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBL2kzKg4nY

its bringing tears to me eyes right now!!
    You wimp!

So how is that PU7 sounding on the Sondek John?

Quote Originally Posted by per-Sony-fied View Post
    So how is that PU7 sounding on the Sondek John?
    In just one word p-S-f Exceptional!

In a few words, dynamic, delicate, fluid, spacious, uncoloured, = absolutely sensational!

I intended on trying it our after seeing this particular arm (the chrome Signature arm with Kondo internal wire) at Studio AV and then discussing the design philosophy of the arm (among other things) with J7. It all grew from there really, whereby I'm now going to purchase it as I've been so impressed with its performance, build quality and aesthetics.

I can't praise it enough - nor its creator.

Dare I say that I do feel the Sole helps its performance on an LP12 just a smigin tho'.

John R
    Last edited by John R; 5th May 2011 at 19:58.

Thanks John. The way you describe it sounds like one beautiful arm. I wonder how it compares to an Ekos? From your description I would say it is quite different.

Looks like a OC9 cartridge you are using there John too?

Quote Originally Posted by per-Sony-fied View Post
    Thanks John. The way you describe it sounds like one beautiful arm. I wonder how it compares to an Ekos? From your description I would say it is quite different.

Looks like a OC9 cartridge you are using there John too?
    p-S-f the PU7 is a stonking arm - no question - very beguiling indeed.

AT OC9 - Nah, it's the much nicer AT 33PTG. Only one thing to aim for now - one day - Orpheus Ooh!

John R.

+ Reply to Thread