+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: bearing oil change on a TECHNICS 1200

Default bearing oil change on a TECHNICS 1200

Johnnie supplied me with a few vials of booster oil.
    the oil can be applied in situ. but to totally remove and replace the old fluid and therefore reap the ultimate benefit - the bearing must be removed.
    here is how to do a full clean and change:

remove the centre screws and lift the pcb. the bearing will now lift out. there is a circlip at the base of the bearing - remove. clean off all original oil with supplied cloths and buds.

apply the new oil. re-fit, re-connect and enjoy
    imo, the main bearing didn't seem a great design so the slippery oil can only help

Blog Entries

great pics m8
    pity they did not make a oil point on the top of bearing
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

it's easy enough to add oil. but to change it is a 'bigger job'. it's not difficult, it just took some working out - i couldn't find any info on the task anywhere. a company called soundhifi (who are pioneering some teccie improvements) are apparently coming out with a new bearing soon, it'll be interesting to see if they've adressed this.

Default Question about this bearing

Hi,
    I am building my DIY tt. I am checking out some bearing options for it. I can buy an sl-1200 bearing but I don't know if it is a quite one. Can it fit me? I prefer the Rega bearing suggested by j7, but I want to be sure.

Thanks,
    Yaki

Blog Entries

its not a fully enclosed bearing m8

i dont think this is good for HEAVY platters
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

Just for an English challenged guy like me - what is m8? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Yaki View Post
    Just for an English challenged guy like me - what is m8? :-)
    m8 : m-eight : mate

Hi,
    10X U m8...

Yaki

Blog Entries

Hey Muffin, I wouldn't mind a shot of the underside of the platter. Just so I can see how the motor works
    Si.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chopsaw View Post
    Hey Muffin, I wouldn't mind a shot of the underside of the platter. Just so I can see how the motor works

hehhe yea like hes gony strip his pride and joy again
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
    it's easy enough to add oil. but to change it is a 'bigger job'. it's not difficult, it just took some working out - i couldn't find any info on the task anywhere. a company called soundhifi (who are pioneering some teccie improvements) are apparently coming out with a new bearing soon, it'll be interesting to see if they've adressed this.
    I'm doing the oil change aswell but was wondering how much oil to use. The kit contains 2 vials each containing 2ml, and the instructions mention using about 1.8ml for most turntables so there seems to be plenty. Don't wanna overdo things though so thought I'd best check first!

Can anybody advise please?

Blog Entries

yea

only a few drops of the oil are needed on the bearing and on the shaft...catch any extra drops with a tissue and mop up any spillage

the technics decks will need a lube every 6-12 months
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by j7 View Post
    yea

only a few drops of the oil are needed on the bearing and on the shaft...catch any extra drops with a tissue and mop up any spillage

the technics decks will need a lube every 6-12 months
    ok thanks. At least I won't have to take the thing apart again once I've changed the oil, as topping up seems to be much easier

I wanted to oil my SL150 mk1 (awaiting bits before use) and looked from underneath (easy with this one). Two of the thrust-plate screws undid easily but the third beat me and I stopped before "knurdling" it.. I used a few drops of clock oil on the top of the bearing and it certainly needed it. I haven't a clue how the thrust pad is as yet, but I suspect this'll need something when I use the deck properly. Apart from cleaning the switch and pots, the thing runs like it did back in the mid seventies. From the top, the motor unit looks identical to the current 1200, although the circuit board is smaller. If anyone really wants to know, I'll take a pic or two.
    Turntable bodger, NVA builder and NVA's loan scheme administrator

Blog Entries

yes please m8...take some pics and post them up here

also your stuck screw u could try a impact wrench on it...a couple of resonably hard taps will get it loose im sure

bw

j7
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

I'm awaiting a new base cover to come from the states and hope it arrives safely. I'll open it up then and take some pics.

Couldn't wait any longer and I had an idea for a Grace 707 I have. I discovered that the R200 is too deep for the 150 and the bias casting fouls the plate (I'll try it on the TD125 instead), so I got stuck in with these tentative results to see what it looks like.. Pics haven't been "remastered" so they look a bit faded out..

I have the counterweight with optional Linn/Supex extra-weight, but would also like the black backing disc for the original Grace weight, which has to be removed when the Supex weight is added. Any old Linn (or LP12/G707) dealers/owners got one kicking around???

Sincere apologies for the dreadful pics. This camera is usually much better than this

That looks very neat Dave. Did you manage to oil the bearing?
    Of what value is an idol carved by a craftsman? Or an image that teaches lies? For the one who makes it trusts in his own creation; he makes idols that cannot speak. (Habakkuk 2:18)

From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” (Matthew 4:17)

Blog Entries

yea nice job there m8
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

saw your SL150 and thought i would add this. would like to know more about stripping one.

+ Reply to Thread