Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: bearing oil change on a TECHNICS 1200

Blog Entries

mmm not seen one of these meself ?
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

Is it home made?
    I just happen to think your opinion is a general sweeping statement of wrongness

Here ya go colin.

Have a peruse as you eat your breakfast.
    I think the arm on the deck is the original Evolution. I really must get out more .

Pretty sure thats what it is but Davie will put us out of misery when he signs in i should think.
    Last edited by KB1; 18th April 2010 at 11:14.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Its a Transfi Terminator T2. very easy to use with removable arm wands for quick cartridge swaps. i spoke to Johnny briefly about it. it has a very open sound but the bass didnt have the impact i need on my Xerxes and the soundstage is smaller so its probably up for sale. the mounting on the Xerxes was a factor i think as one 6mm bolt couldnt "clamp" it down. maybe a custom made one would have been better.
    i got the DD deck on evilbay to try the arm on as i have heard + read a lot about DD decks.i thought maybe the Technics DD would have superior bass over the Xerxes but couldnt detect much difference although treble seemed better. it sounds pretty good. but the Xerxes and Rb250 modded is superior.
    On another deck it would probably sound different. i made the armboard from 20mm MDF, screwed to the SME one on the deck. 2 screw in female thread inserts for the 2 bolts + voila it lived. it uses an aquarium pump which sits behind my sofa and can only be heard when music is off.
    I will post more pics later as im on the laptop.

Ah i stand corrected,close mind. The terminator i saw was the T3 with half a digital caliper bolted to it ,so i wrongly guessed i was looking at the evo. .
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Quote Originally Posted by KB1 View Post
    Here ya go colin.Have a peruse as you eat your breakfast.
    I see. Still looks home made, just made in someone else's home! ;0)

I like the idea of parallel-tracking arms but not convinced by the practicalities. If the detrimental effects caused by the miss-alignment of pivoted arms was such a big deal it would be far more obvious. You'd be able to hear when the cart was aligned and when it was out. You can't.
    I just happen to think your opinion is a general sweeping statement of wrongness

i aquired my Rb250 last week and set it up using 2 different arc protractors and my mirrored one, sounded rubbish, checked them all and they seemed ok. i then used my downloaded single point Rega one and its awesome. believe me i can tell when a pivoted arm sounds off. strange and thats why i decided to try the air bearing jobbie last year. the parallel tracker however sounds consistent on all of the record, especially inner grooves when setup properly. no fiddling with bias either. it just didnt suit my interpretation of my music, you know all those albums you have heard 1000 times.

I've always used the Rega one. I figure that they designed the arm so surely will know the correct geometry for it.

it just didn't suit my interpretation of my music
    I don't think I've ever heard a parallel tracker, maybe I have but certainly can't remember. I always associated them with 'round earth' stuff, which I've never been very into. Maybe they're not like that, I have no idea.

Looks like good value though? I had a look at the web site. I like the YouTube videos :0) I have to laugh when you see people playing their Hi-Fi systems on YouTube, as if people are going to watch it and think 'Oh yeah, that sounds great!'.

Thanks to Muffinman for originating this thread - I've just done the bearing on my SL1210 (vintage unknown - reckon it's 3-4 years old at a guesstimate). Nice, easy job, took about 20 mins start to finish.

Usual observations apply where Johnnie's lube's concerned - less background noise/hash and firmer/faster bass. This time it's noticable how the difference in timbre and projection of ride vs crash cymbals is more marked. Plus, listening to some early Weather Report, Jaco sounds even better than ever....sweeeet!!

+ Reply to Thread