+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: What I use for music appreciation

Post imported post

That room looks ace roksoff. My room is pokey by comparison. The DK amp is amazing for the money.
    Do to others as you would have them do to you. (Luke 6:31)

From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” (Matthew 4:17)

Post imported post

here's a pic of the plinths i was rabbiting on about sorry pics are soooooo big

they really helped calm my room down. My listening room is above a music shop so i have suspended wooden floors and this I think is where the problem is, not sure though.

every speaker I've everhad in this roomhave always benefitted from plinths, seems to help kill any nasty room acoustic type thingy ma jigs then again i'm probably talking out of my

Post imported post

Nice Scott, like the simplicty of that setup.

How much would your mason charge for a pair of slate plnths, emo sized.

And have you tried compliant stuff between the speakers and the slate, ie no spike, but using sorbothane, or blutak?

Post imported post

eddie spaghetti wrote:
    That room looks ace roksoff. My room is pokey by comparison. The DK amp is amazing for the money.
    Thanks Mr Spaghetti, your right about the amp its stunningly good for the money

I paid up and legged it out the shop before they realised I'd only paid 2.5K for it

wouldn't mind doing a bit of tube rolling but don't really know how to go about it and what valves to go for any advice would be welcome

Post imported post

The Professor wrote:

And have you tried compliant stuff between the speakers and the slate, ie no spike, but using sorbothane, or blutak?
    Been trying some cut down pipe insulation this evening and it was surprising how effective it was at isolating the speakers from the bouncy floors I have in my listening room. Cheap as chips down the DIY store

Post imported post

The Professor wrote:

Thanks Paul, glad you like my set up but you already know how good it is

I've been looking for the web address of the stone mason and cant bloody find it

it was something like "The slate and stone company" in wales, I will hunt out the receipt later and let u know they cost £270 delivered to my door, on santa's sleigh no less. Arrived on a pallet well packaged they measure up at 450mm X 425 X 60mm thick. weigh in at 37 Kgs each, so with they emos on top watch they dont disappear through the floor.

haven't tried anything else under emos apart from what u see in the pics.

guess what i'll be doing this weekend, I'm off to Woollies to clean them out of blutak. even better Claire reckons she can get as much blutak as I want from theEuropean Blutak Mountain at her skool then suggested Playdough might be good all the different colours would be nice!!!!

Post imported post

Dynamo wrote:
    Been trying some cut down pipe insulation this evening and it was surprising how effective it was at isolating the speakers from the bouncy floors I have in my listening room. Cheap as chips down the DIY store
    Luv the avitar Dyno. cant take my eyes of it been practicing for ages

that pipe insulation, is that the foam stuff thats cut down the middle???

Post imported post

I made these ones up for a piar of MA's, dead simple 2 stone floor tiles one granite the other marble with heavy thick rubber in the middle all glued together with some evil stick worked a treat

Post imported post

Roksoff wrote:
    Dynamo wrote:
    Luv the avitar Dyno. cant take my eyes of it been practicing for ages

that pipe insulation, is that the foam stuff thats cut down the middle???
    Yes it is grey in colour about 3 inches across. Tried then directly under the speakers then under the granite chopping boards the speakers stand on(your new slabs would atomise them methinks ) and I reckon between the speakers and the granite produced the best results, although the speakers weren't as stable that way round

Post imported post

Since selling up earlier this month, I now use this Technics mini system that I bought from Dixons while still at school. Cost me about £800 - really should have got some proper separates but I'd not seen the light back then.

I was attracted by the vu meters ops:

Your Maw

Blog Entries

Post imported post

possible changes at cartridgemangler acres.

here's a photo of my system last night

and a closer view of the 'possible' change:

"It's ok your comments are noted, so if you want a war you've got one. Watch your back, ya !!!!...." in an email from Marco 3/4/09

Post imported post

cartridgemangler wrote:
    possible changes at cartridgemangler acres.

here's a photo of my system last night

and a closer view of the 'possible' change:

Those emos looks smaller than I thought they would. How they sounding so far?

From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” (Matthew 4:17)

Blog Entries

Post imported post

in a word 'invisible'
    "It's ok your comments are noted, so if you want a war you've got one. Watch your back, ya !!!!...." in an email from Marco 3/4/09

Post imported post

Right, thanks to my 'new' camera from Dynamo, I can share the treasures of the fleapit with you:-

and one of one of my speakers (I really do have 2, promise)

Castle Conway II

(You can see one of my Rega Jura's to the right behind the Conway)

And just because I like it so much, a close-up of my amp:-

Tube Technology Unisis

Now, no more upgrading!

Apart from wanting a DAC for the DAB and PC inputs in particular.......will have to be supercheep though

Kevin
    A flea in the ear is worth two in the bush

Post imported post

Kevin, thats a superb system there, bet it makes sweeet music you can listen to like...forever, that EL84 unisys is a belter, I dount you'll upgrade ay of that without spending a goodly few sponduliks.

Post imported post

Thank you for the kind words, good sir

Yes, for rather a lot less than it could have been (and a lot more than should have been at the time per SWMBO) I seem to have assembled a rather nice setup. Very tasty to these ears (crappy as they are) and certainly unfatigueing to listen to for hours on end.

I suppose the other side is less modern sound, i.e. not as crisp, less detail etc. That said, I get enough out of this system for my satisfaction

to be honest, if I had to start again, doubt that I would have the luck to assemble a system any better than this has tuned out to be!!!

A contented Flea

Post imported post

That is a nice little system you have there Kevin

Components don't have to be hi-fi jewellery or be"flavour of the month" to provide endless listening pleasure to their owners. The XA-20ES is a cracker, so too is the Systemdek, the amp is sublime and the speaks are up there too, so youwould have to fork outquite a load of wonga to better it significantly

Post imported post

Cheers Frank

I just totted up roughly - I managed to assemble that lot for less than £850 (which is rather more than I would have laid out in one go anyway ). Minimal in comparison to the prices some people pay for single units within their setups....

Now to reduce my addiction to new sounds (I'll never be cured, may just learn more control )

Kevin

Post imported post

Bet that system sounds nice through the big Conways.

Systemdek eh? Ahh ......brings back memories. Is it the one with the electronic speed control?

Post imported post

I had an XA-20ES cd player around 5 years ago and when I sold it (thinking there was better to be had)there was much sadness to see it go Fitted a sooper dooper mains cord to it and it sang.

Recently acquired another oneand it's every bit as good as I remember it. As I recall the UK mags were rather lukewarm about it yet the US reviewers though very highly of it and rated it above others like the Meridian and Linns. This time I am going to do a few modsand wring a bit more out of it

+ Reply to Thread