+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 66 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1305

Thread: What I use for music appreciation

It's good to play around with different kit eh, sometimes what impresses at first can not be lived with long term. Diy is even better imo, much more scope to tweek things and for less dosh too. I am still amazed at the sound quality that a cheap chip based amp can produce through a half decent set of speakers, that you can get stunning sound from a low budget is something the industry does'nt want us to consider. What difference component wise is there between an amp costing a few hundred quid verses one costing a few thousand? very little is the answer, there are only so many options available to the designer which will actually work at all, electrons follow the path of least resistance, the rest is mainly hype.

Quote Originally Posted by davym View Post
    electrons follow the path of least resistance...
    Yip which is generally through my wallet!
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

My system has evolved a little recently, I have added a Plattamat 2 to the Rock, switched from a rebodied retipped DL103 to a retipped VdH DDT-II Special. Step up devices/ head amps have been a bit of a dilemma, At the moment there are 2 Denon SUTs my DIY SUT an ME RIAA Phono Stage, a Lehmann Black Cube and a DIY Marshall Leech common base Head Amp sat next to my Rock. The Black Cube is connected at the moment, but the Marshall Leech sounds better, I have had the Nighthawk on loan, that was good but that had to go back and I preferred the Marshall Leech, I had a 3 hour listen to an RCM phono stage and that was the best of all so far, but that didn't belong to me and wasn't up for sale. I have sold the Castle Richmond 3 bookshelf speakers and picked up a pair on Monitor Audio Monitor Ones, other than that nothing has changed!
    I have a Rock and I'm not afraid to use it.

Blog Entries

haven't listed my stuff before (I don't think) so here goes.

I have four turntables (well, five if you count my partner's Michell/SME modified), all Lenco's, 2 x 75's, a 78 (for 78's, get it?), a G99 and a 69, for fun. Cartridges run from cheapo Stanton 500E to Goldring 1040/2 and Dynavector 10x5. Arms include a modded Lenco 75, Rega 250 modded, Rega 300 (soon to have new arm wand and re-wire, c/o J7), and a few new designs I have on the drawing board. All Lenco's need re-plinthing, and I've been working on those for a few years, on and off. I use one of John R's Plattamat 2 -(now in black) and a Michell puck, together with protractors, surface coated mirror, thermometer and timer (for stylus wear assessment).

I've just replaced my trusted Cambridge Audio 640P phono stage with a Musical Fidelity X-LPSv3, bought from jazzbass. I'm getting to know this little unit more each day, and liking it. On generalization, the CA unit is a little laid back, and lacking a bit in all frequency regions, but runs the MF a close-ish second! I intend to modify the MF with better transformer, power supply parts, and replace a few caps and things, using the CA unit as a reference.

I am building a unity gain buffer stage, using just two fet's per channel, and a switched attenuator, using fixed resistors. I need this unit as I run two Cambridge Audio 640v2 integrated amplifiers, so I need one control for all channels. These amplifiers feed a pair of Usher 604 floor-standing loudspeakers. They will be augmented with ribbon tweeters, for my hearing, which has suffered from 40 years+ of gigging! The CA integrateds will soon be replaced with two pairs of amplifiers, called VSSA (very simple symmetrical amplifier) which only use 6 transistors per channel! The best amplifier circuit I have seen, and the results are supposed to be astonishing.

The CA 640's will then power the side speakers (Epos M5's with additional ribbon tweeters) and a centre channel 'speaker, made with the same drive units as in the M5's, but in a self-designed cabinet. This should be fine to use with a 5 channel video system, but easily re-configured for two channel stereo, and maybe a Hafler type system.

Other ancillaries include 2x Denon dual capstan triple head cassette decks, a Sony DAT recorder, Leak Troughline tuner (to be modded for stereo), Quad FM4 (which needs the pcb cleaning, as the battery has spewed its guts) and an Hitachi FF5500mkii tuner, which has a very nice digital signal strength meter in it.

I have other amplifiers, including a very nice valve jobby, with no electrolytics, and 6L6GC output valves. And lots of other 'speaker projects with pseudo-active amplifiers to design and build (needed around the house and studio (art, not sound)).

All this, and I only have about 1300 LP's, mostly classical, but some early prog rock (Tull, Yes, LZ,) and some jazz. Now, the question is, is my record collection worth more than my stereo system, yes, of course it is, so I am a music lover, and not an audiophile (phew!).
    cheers.....Bryan

http://qualia.webs.com/

Quite a collection there! i don't usually bother listing the boxes which make noise in our house, mainly because they change quite frequently but also because i cant be arsed with the pissing contest which seems to be a common theme on the forums. Someone always has better/more expensive gear which i couldn't care less about, the music is what it's about for me too.

Because of finances being very tight for some time now, and because i am actually quite happy with the present set up, i seem to now have a fairly settled and cheap system (for me) so here goes.

Sources - Project RPM 5/ Denon DL-160/ MF V-LPS
    Samsung 250Gb netbook/ MF V-DAC for playing flac music files and radio
    Philips cdr 796 for playing/recording cd's (not used much)

Amp - MF X-80 integrated

Speakers - Rega R3

Previously owned kit is (like many here) far too numerous to be bothered listing, mainly mid range stuff, some valve, some transistor, lot's of diy kit's in the past but one common theme seems that most of my kit swapping resulted in a sideways move rather than a genuine up-grade so i think that even if i do come into cash, i will probably keep what i have at present, it produces very decent sound for a budget system.

This is my current thinking anyway, which of course could all change in due course

Collecting turntables was fun - I stopped at six - but predictably I practically only use the SME 20/2A despite having three inputs on the Aesthetix phono stage.

So far I have sold the Technics SL110 and given away the JBE Slate Series 3 as "spares or repair.

The LP12 is for sale on my local dealer's web site.

The Denon DP2000 never got an arm but I now have the Technoarm + Grdao Sonata off the JBE which could go on it.

Not sure the Sony TTS3000 has any resale value but the 12inch Ittok which is on it should sell easily enough.
    As many concerts as I can afford, preferably abroad.

Hi Everybody

I am back from the edge....back to good old stereo.
    Cambridge Azur c640c, Rotel RA01 and Q Acoustics 2020's back to basics no fuss nice and simple.
    Gonna set it up today post some piccies hopefully later
    Cambridge Audio Azur C640C ,Rotel RA01,Q Acoustics 2020.

Good on you, just watch out for the upgraditis bug

too late the guy I bought the amp from offered me the matching CD player as well.
    Had to say no this time but it has got me thinking already haha
    Cambridge Audio Azur C640C ,Rotel RA01,Q Acoustics 2020.

Sorry I've not been around for a while chaps. Being short of a preamp tends to limit one's listenning experiences.

After listening to a few things and doing a fair bit of research, I dropped the bomb on one of these things.

Initial impressions are very good indeed. Good soundstage, solid bass notes and VERY quiet.

I think we're going to get along fine.

The Conrad Johnson ACT2.2

4601352-origpic-339f3f.jpg
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Looks good Euan. What type of pre is it?

Ahem, the line above the photo...

Conrad Johnson ACT2.2.

Has 4 Russian 6H30s and CJs own Teflon Caps fitted. Yum.

No, not it's model name, its type. There are numerous different types of preamps - variable resistor, switched resistor, transformer passive and tapped transformer. At the moment I'm using Si's valve-based pre, which is powered and has a lot of gain. So much gain I'm using attenuators on the CD input.

Quote Originally Posted by ESK View Post
    Sorry I've not been around for a while chaps. Being short of a preamp tends to limit one's listenning experiences.

After listening to a few things and doing a fair bit of research, I dropped the bomb on one of these things.

Initial impressions are very good indeed. Good soundstage, solid bass notes and VERY quiet.

I think we're going to get along fine.

The Conrad Johnson ACT2.2

Attachment 7516
    Nice one Euan, is it line only?

I need to get a listen to this at some point.

With my Orpheus winging its way to it's new owner I'm in limbo too, until my new cart arrives. Then I may have a wee soirée.

Yes it is Line only.

Its quite neutral but not in a peel your face off way.

What sort of pre is it? Dear Gawd that's too complicated a question for me.

Its a valve one.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    What type of pre is it?
    http://www.conradjohnson.com/It_just...ight/act2.html

BTW Euan, congratulations on your purchase. I suspect this could keep you happy for some time to come; I've invariably enjoyed the sound of CR stuff when I've heard it in the past.

Enjoy.

G.
    Last edited by WullieD20; 15th May 2013 at 16:40. Reason: update text
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

Lovely looking piece of kit there Euan.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Just what i was thinking, had a wee look online for some info, found this but could not finish reading it

http://www.stereophile.com/tubepreamps/305cj/index.html

What I Use For Musical Appreciation.

Hello to all at the crossover network!

My Stereo
    Turntable; Well Tempered Amadeus GTA and Transfiguration Orpheus cartridge.
    Phono Stage; Ayre P5-XE
    Pre-amp; Bel Canto Pre 3VB
    Power-amps; Bel Canto Ref 500M (x2)
    Speakers; Shahinian Arcs
    The system is housed in a Russ Andrews Torlyte rack, the speakers sit on Russ Andrews Torlyte Speaker Plats
    I built a Moth Record cleaning machine which has been used on all my records and I use Walker Audio Prelude for cleaning. I also have access to an ultrasonic bath for record cleaning if required.
    I used to listen to CDs via a Cyrus CD6SE, I used to listen to tapes via a Nakamichi DR2 and I used to listen to streamed music via a Dell netbook/JK MK3 Hiface/Wyred4Sound Dac2, but since buying The Professor’s Orpheus listening to the above mentioned sources has seemed like a waste of time!

Hi m8, welcome to the forum. Great system you have there and I can understand the Orpheus getting plenty of use.

+ Reply to Thread