+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: THE PHONO STAGE GALLERY

Default THE PHONO STAGE GALLERY

Presently I'm putting Si's (Chopsaw's) spare Rotel RQ-970BX through its paces in my system. First impressions are it's very good for a budget stage and deserves its reputation as a contender for consideration along with similarly-priced Pro-jects, entry level Graham Slees and Creek phono pre-amps.

It is large in size for a phono stage and I wasn't able to squeeze it anywhere onto my rack, so the Nak tape deck had to succumb and is now sulking in the corner.

It's early days for any worthwhile assessment of its capabilities so I'll live with it for a few days and report back. At the moment its gain level and presentation is not too dissimilar to the onboard stage in the Pioneer pre.

Last edited by TIU; 27th May 2009 at 23:10.

I just swopped the cart over for the Clearaudio Aurum Classics, raised the vta as the cueing bar barely raised the stylus off the record, lol, and the Rotel is really showing what it can do now. Playing Two Suns in the Sunset (PF-Final Cut) and I'm smiling.

Blog Entries

This was the first external phono stage I ever bought. I bought an Iso a few years later and eventually sold it and kept my faithful Rotel. Nice to see it in good company
    Si.

I will Post a Pic of my custom built WD Valve phono 3 when Iíve built the cases for it I donít think it will go down to well if I post it uncased to the gallery but I can say it sounds brilliant http://thecrossovernetwork.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2706
    The Blues Man
    Thorens TD160B Mk II Rega RB251/G1042 Rega Planner Three AO Rega RB250/Ortofon 2M blue.Wad Custom Valve Phono 3 CD Players Arcam Alpha six Marants 52SE Marants 63SE.

The new kid on the block:

This stage is not shy about coming forward and has much more gain than the Rotel. It is my first piece of kit from MF (much larger than I imagined from photos) and so far I'm a little startled by its bold, in yer face presentation. It does seem that MF like their power, and then a bit more power for good measure. Whether it has any manners or is just a big bully I'll have to see.

Blog Entries

There is a mod you can do to the Rotel to increase gain, a resistor change I think. I never thought it needed any more gain so I never messed with it.
    Si.

It doesn't Si, not with my beefy power amp anyway.

I think with these phono stages, it's not the gain which is the most important aspect. OK more volume is good but at what expense?

I have dug out a couple of cheap i/c's (well one set are NVA sound cords so not too bad) and can now connect both stages to the pre. So to change over for comparison it's just a matter of changing the cables at the tt end and switching inputs on the pre. Should make for easier and much quicker comparison between the two.

OK, watch out Stereophile and Hifi +, I'm going to go all techy on yer asses...

With no music playing and the volume turned up, the MF goes 'mmmmmmmmmmmmm'. The Rotel, on the other hand, goes 'sshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.'

Weird eh?

my aesthetix goes shhhhhhh too, loud as well, silent with music playing , well not silent, theres the music opbviously, but you knwo what i mean.

Gary re Gallery, what do you want, pics?, words? what?

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    my aesthetix goes shhhhhhh too, loud as well, silent with music playing , well not silent, theres the music opbviously, but you knwo what i mean.

Are you sure you're 'valve rush' noise is from the Aesthetix??? Cause I get the same sound and don't know where it's from, but the other common denominator of course is the Primo.....albeit at pretty high volume levels. Any thoughts?
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post
    Are you sure you're 'valve rush' noise is from the Aesthetix??? Cause I get the same sound and don't know where it's from, but the other common denominator of course is the Primo.....albeit at pretty high volume levels. Any thoughts?

get valve rush with a different pre, don't get any noise form the Primo

PS I have a pic of the ams50

My DK goes

"BRRRRRRHUMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMM"
    Thankfully not audible when music is playing

Hi Paul, lol, that was funny. I guess anything to do with phono stages would be good - pics, reviews, for sale ads, etc. I called it a gallery but it's not just for pics.

PS I have a pic of the ams50

WELL....... where is it????? (the picture AND the real thing???)
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

Quote Originally Posted by Roksoff View Post
    My DK goes

"BRRRRRRHUMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMM"
    Thankfully not audible when music is playing
    Hmm (strokes chin), maybe it wants to be something else. A car perhaps? Or a motorbike. These electronics can get pretty bored y'know, like just sitting there day after day.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Hmm (strokes chin), maybe it wants to be something else.
    yeah....like sold or part exchanged for summit else

So what is DK an abbreviation of, dare I ask? Any pics? How long you had it now Scotty?

So what is DK an abbreviation of, dare I ask? Any pics? How long you had it now Scotty?
    DK is now known as LSA, that doesnt help does it.

OK, its this big ugly munter shown here........
    http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/606dk/

had it for....em....too long (about 3-3.5 years I think)...christ its been that long.
    At the time and for the money I thought it was hard to beat and a very good buy IM very limited E.
    I like it, its got loads of slam and attack but also has finesse when needed. Hey, its just a bloody amp and it does what it says on the tin (except for the hum).
    The hum has always been there its just certain speakers show it more than others. Its inaudiable from my listening seat but up close to the speakers its pretty hard to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post
    WELL....... where is it????? (the picture AND the real thing???)

i would post a pic but it's not a phonostage

Hmm (strokes chin), maybe it wants to be something else. A car perhaps? Or a motorbike. These electronics can get pretty bored y'know, like just sitting there day after day.
    Well here my phono stage note the new styli case hows it sound
    The Blues Man
    Thorens TD160B Mk II Rega RB251/G1042 Rega Planner Three AO Rega RB250/Ortofon 2M blue.Wad Custom Valve Phono 3 CD Players Arcam Alpha six Marants 52SE Marants 63SE.

+ Reply to Thread