+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: THE PHONO STAGE GALLERY

The Cheeky Girls have joined the party.

I've settled on the Dino combo now and am very pleased with what it does. My vinyl never sounded so good. The MF has now gone to Northampton to a guy with an all MF system, so he's pleased as Punch and the Rotel will be going up to the west coast of Scotland, to Arisaig.

Anyone tried the Dino improved power cable that goes between the two boxes?

Dino is superb good choice.

Re cable not sure it makes enough of a difference to warrant cost.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Presently I'm putting Si's (Chopsaw's) spare Rotel RQ-970BX through its paces in my system. First impressions are it's very good for a budget stage and deserves its reputation as a contender for consideration along with similarly-priced Pro-jects, entry level Graham Slees and Creek phono pre-amps.

Interesting...

A long time ago now, I decided that the JVC integrated amp I had just bought was quite good - apart
    from an appalling phono stage. I bought this amp in 1997, which replaced a cheaper 1988 "vintage"
    JVC model. The earlier model phono stage was excellent, no doubt due to the era in which it was
    designed. So, it was time for me to look at a seperate phono amp...

I went to a well-known Glasgow hi-fi store (to the immediate west of Charing Cross...) and asked if
    they had any on sale. They had the Rotel RQ-970 and the slightly more expensive Creek OBH-8 and the
    guy let me take both home for a week to test them out, owing to the fact that I had a credit card on me...

At the time I had a straight-out-of-the-box Rega Planar 3 with a Audio Technica AT450E MM cartridge.
    After spending the following week frantically switching between the two I came to the following conclusions.

The sound from the Rotel was very nice. Warm, full and round, though it seemed to lack a little detail
    on records I knew well. The Creek, on the other hand, made these very same records sing like I had
    never heard before. The Creek was certainly somewhat bass-light owing to it's warp filter, but the
    mid-range was glorious to listen to.

So, I paid the extra 30 quid, I think it was, for the Creek model. It came with a bulky, cheap looking
    PSU, whereas the Creek OBH-8SE (mm) and Creek OBH-9 (mc) came with a "regulated" PSU. Needless
    to say within a year I had traded in the Creek OBH-8's standard PSU for this "better" version.

I still own and use this unit to this day. Superb sound and a real bargain. One of my favourite hi-fi
    purchases in fact.

James H

Quote Originally Posted by Col View Post
    Well here my phono stage note the new styli case hows it sound

Very interesting layout, Col!

Working on particle board has its advantages when experimenting, I guess.

Are you planning to keep the power supply separate, or you will eventually put both in the same box? .. Assuming of course, you will box them... Will you?
    Linn / Thule / Audio Research / Bryston / KEF

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk74 View Post
    Very interesting layout, Col!

Working on particle board has its advantages when experimenting, I guess.

Are you planning to keep the power supply separate, or you will eventually put both in the same box? .. Assuming of course, you will box them... Will you?

Hi arthurk 74
    HA Yes the power supply will be in separate Box at some point when I have finished tweaking it and the phono amp
    The Blues Man
    Thorens TD160B Mk II Rega RB251/G1042 Rega Planner Three AO Rega RB250/Ortofon 2M blue.Wad Custom Valve Phono 3 CD Players Arcam Alpha six Marants 52SE Marants 63SE.

Art Audio VINYL ONE

Before modifications .
    Attached Images

Whest PS30 R
    just kickin back

A fine quality product there Duvet. One of the few full width phono stages around.

The PS30 is superb we have it on permanent dem, real peachy with the transfiguration axia cart.

I'll get me camera out later and take a pic of my Aesthetix

Default Phono stage

Here is my phono stage. It is a Graham Slee modified Jazz Club.
    Attached Images

very smart. Is it modified with dust? Looks like a home-built plywood plinth there as well.

The plinth was built by me, but the mods to the Jazz club were done by Graham. It took him about two hours to mod and I must tell you that the performance of the RIAA was much better.
    The dust is an optional extra.
    S

Just arrived today
    BP has left the building

Blog Entries

This is my tube phono stage. Some work to do yet.

I'll continue this in the diy section.

BP, a friend has the four box version of that phono stage.
    Si.

Collecting this soon, Rotel Michi RHQ-10.

Quote Originally Posted by beckypumps View Post
    Just arrived today
    Only just spotted this.

I wish I had the patience to carefully make my own stuff. Are these phono stage kits available for a reasonable sum including power supplies and casework? The WD model is now a bit expensive...

I use a Croft Series 4PP preamp and an AVI S2000MP+P to taste. The AVI is supremely neutral and "accurate" with no personality of its own at all. I use this as a reference and it sounds as good as the source and recording fed it. The phono stage has a high overload margin (will be needed with the Decca) and soft clips transient spikes which can unsettle lesser phono stages. Very quiet indeed and hiss is only audible when the volume is turned up to speaker melting levels - nothing at all at normal levels (around -80db S/N IIRC).

The dear old Crofty is a more personable and friendly beast that I have a huge love for. Glenn's phono stages are revered in some quarters and I find the sound extremely clear, with little valve-rush in the background, but on mine a touch light in the lowest bass region. I've done some tube-rolling which has helped and Glenn (bless him) will happily have the preamp back for some subtle updating. I don't want to have it gutted and re-built, as I'd rather buy one of his new models (phono stage to his "R" spec @ 500)..
    What's left of the mains filter has been removed on Glenn's instructions, although I've found room for a cable ferrite in its place which may or may not make a difference. The sound is atmospheric and plays to vinyl's strengths, rather than clinically (by comparison) reproducing everything in all its glory/badness as the AVI does (as it should, being an excellent product)

Last edited by DSJR; 21st March 2010 at 17:43.
    Turntable bodger, NVA builder and NVA's loan scheme administrator

It looks that way if it was 98 new.

+ Reply to Thread