+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 24 Heures Du Man

Default 24 Heures Du Man

"Start your Engines".
    The greatest race on 4 wheels starts this Saturday (13th), 2.00 pm, sharp.
    Finishes on Sund...well...you work it out

Eurosport are showing full coverage this year...whoohooo.
    If yer a motorsport fan then get down to the supermarket for some microwave meals and a crate of RedBull...dont miss it.

http://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans...ccueil_gb.html
    Last edited by Roksoff; 8th June 2009 at 20:51. Reason: forgot linky

Blog Entries

ill get me red bull ready!!
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

1/3rd of the way in and my eyes are getting heavy. Time for some tunes and a wee power nap to get me through the night.

Fatigues well and truly set in, especially in the pits.
    Funny watching a guy try fixing a cable tie like its the first time he'd ever saw a car let alone a cable tie.

gotta sleep
    just when the racing starts to get close

Great race.
    Peugeot smash Audi dominance with a 1 2 finish, top Audi finish in 3rd. Audi have won the last 8 out of 10, 9 if you include the Bently win so a great result for the Pugs.

I liked the style of the top LMGT1 car, the Corvette, who had such a big lead (6 laps)they pulled their car into the pits with 25 minutes to go to give it a valet so it looked good for the chequered flag.

3300 miles covered by the winners.

Porche made it easy for Ferrari in LMGT2 class. Top 9 out of 10 finishers in this class were Ferrari F430's, 5 Porche's retired.

Its that time of year again when the best motor race on the planet gets underway on Saturday.
    Telly's been booked for the whole weekend, energy drinks and beer in the fridge, nibbles stashed in a cupboard.

What a weekend its going to be...Canadian GP, Moto GP from Silverstone, 24 hour Le Man and San Marino WSB.

Thank god I'll be at work!

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Blog Entries

best race on the planet? Agreed. I've never been, but have been geographically close a couple of times when it was on. It used to be on all the time (during the race) on some French station.

Would like to see a Formula ! car do the 24 hours, how many tyres, engines, gearboxes? 'Trigger's broom' comes to mind here..........

''well, I'm sure it was a Ferrari when we started.......''
    cheers.....Bryan

http://qualia.webs.com/

Been 4 times 1987 to 1990 to see Tom Walkinshaw and the Jag`s taking the challenge to the then dominant Porsche`s. Absolutely fantastic, my only regret the Jags were painted in Silk Cut cigarette livery and not in British Racing Green when they won.

Le Man weekend the weekend when Britain invades France.... the British fan base for this race is incredible. I have been to the British GP and to the Ring and Spa and none of them even start to compare with Le Mans... if you like motor racing and you have never been then you really are missing out on the experience of a lifetime.
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

Quote Originally Posted by cat's squirrel View Post
    best race on the planet? Agreed. I've never been, but have been geographically close a couple of times when it was on. It used to be on all the time (during the race) on some French station.

Would like to see a Formula ! car do the 24 hours, how many tyres, engines, gearboxes? 'Trigger's broom' comes to mind here..........

''well, I'm sure it was a Ferrari when we started.......''
    F1 cars could never do Le Mans for many different reasons as you know but it would be nice to see them try for sure.
    F1 has different requirements as its a sprint relatively speaking compared to Le Mans which is an endurance slog.
    Never been myself but its on my list of 10 things to do before I die. Apparently the thing to do as a Le Mans virgin is to walk the circuit stopping at all the wee wine bars around the circuit during the 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post
    Been 4 times 1987 to 1990 to see Tom Walkinshaw and the Jag`s taking the challenge to the then dominant Porsche`s. Absolutely fantastic, my only regret the Jags were painted in Silk Cut cigarette livery and not in British Racing Green when they won.

Le Man weekend the weekend when Britain invades France.... the British fan base for this race is incredible. I have been to the British GP and to the Ring and Spa and none of them even start to compare with Le Mans... if you like motor racing and you have never been then you really are missing out on the experience of a lifetime.
    Lucky guy Andy, maybe I'll make the trip next year and join the other 3 zillion Brits. I love the history and stories of races gone by. Things like drivers hurtling down the Mulsanne straight doing 210 MPH as the sun rises on Sunday morning smelling fried bacon as the Brits start cooking fry ups to ward off hang-overs from last nights alcohol consumption

Qualifying was good last night. The organisers enforced new regs designed to keep the lap times above 3:30 mins. Pole position was a 3:26. (although race pace will be slower)
    Last year also broke the distance record, approx. 5500 Km (cant remember the exact figure)....truly amazing.
    I'll be rooting for mcNish in the Audi going for his 3rd win. Its going to be a tall order but he does have the mighty Kristensen in his team.

Enjoy the race!
    Last edited by Roksoff; 10th June 2011 at 11:28.

Blog Entries

I was merely thinking about the fragility of the F1 'cars', against the 'real' cars of Le Man, not that they are too strongly built, either. I remember one crash when the whole car fell to bits and the drive was left sitting on his seat in the middle of the track with only bits around him. And the F1 guys do seem to be the racing car equivalent of the Premier League Footballing prima donas. Real men race Prototype sports cars!
    But diesel engines? What we need is jet powered battery-fed electric engines. I saw the one I think Jag are testing at an engineering show at Olympia. The guy (a RR employee, making it in his own time ...yea, right!) said it only took three weeks to build, and it was extremely impressive, it was only about a foot long and in diameter, but the cowling at the back glowed red hot when he wound it up! Made a bit of a high pitched whine, even to my ears!
    Last edited by cat's squirrel; 10th June 2011 at 13:20.
    cheers.....Bryan

Scott

We managed to work our way around the track and managed to get a vantage point at the end of Mulsanne (before they put the silly {but safe} kink in it) Pretty damn amazing see cars hurting towards you at 240+ miles per hour. Seem to remember Martin Brundle going through the radar at Hunaudieres at something like 243mph!!

Martin Brundle, Johnny Herbert, Derek Warwick, Jacky Oliver, Derek Bell, Hans Stuck, Bob Wolleck, Jan Lammers, Johnny Dumfries, Andy Wallace, Henri Pescarolo, John Watson....some great and brave drivers taking part back then. I really miss going and must go again sometime before departing this mortal coil LOL.

Not too sure how a Turbo Diesel today would compare with a fire breathing 7 litre V12 Jaguar Engine though, although even with the kink on Mulsanne, I bet the Turbo Diesels are reaching fairly similar speeds, in fact they must be if pole was 3.26 because thats a similar time to the jags.

The first time I went I stood at the bridge at the first bend (well a kink in the road really) for the start, and no kidding I ducked down behind the concrete barrier I was so scared they were coming off the track and into the crowd, those C1 sportscars were so bloody fast.

Its an amazing weekend Scott the cheapest and least hassle way to do it back then was to go on an organized coach trip which I did once, but it was much better going yourself (We did it in my MGA one year and my mates TR6 the next) Really wished I could have been there in the 20`s with the Bentley Boys though.

You enjoy the race too mate
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

I was merely thinking about the fragility of the F1 'cars', against the 'real' cars of Le Man
    . this happened at the pedestrian speed of 60 MPH.

Great stuff Andy and as you say its a shame they put 2 chicanes into the Mulsanne straight but it had to be done really when you consider the speeds achieved a few years back.
    The speed record set in 1988 still stands and will forever stand due to circuit mods (Mulsanne) at a mesmerising 251 MPH.

This Wiki entry is an excellent resource and an interesting read if you havent already. Its got various links to bits n bobs connected to the race to immerse yourself in to the build up to the race.
    I read it every year....lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24_Hours_of_Le_Mans

Right off to watch official practice for Canada now.

Blog Entries

chalk another one up to the 'wall of champions'
    cheers.....Bryan

chalk another one up to the 'wall of champions'
    Thats good but better than that is the marshall with the white boilersuit on. Watch him climb over the wall then run towards Vettle's car.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/form...e/13733452.stm

His big moment, he's been waiting for some fire extinguisher action all his life.....then goes and does that in front of millions.
    Last edited by Roksoff; 10th June 2011 at 20:01.

I pissed myself laughing as soon as I realized he was ok. Just a shame it was`nt Q1 of Qually. It might have made for an interesting race, he will probably be on pole now and romp to an unchallenged victory.

I have quite warmed to the lad this season....still wish someone would chop his f**k*n finger off though.

Blog Entries

Allan McNish, you lucky sod............................
    cheers.....Bryan

+ Reply to Thread