+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Thorens TD150 Sole

Default My TD150 with Sole Now

I just wanted show off what my TD150 is like now.I just got a Roksan Nima Unipivot tonearm man what great arm it is.Also got a new plinth from Dave at Vinyl Nirvana.The next thing I'd like do is have John R make me bitchin' Analogue Innovation arm borads for my TD150 if ever has time or I have the money I can dream. The borad I'm using works well but I have a feeling it can be bettered.
    IMG_1509.JPGIMG_1511.JPGIMG_1460.JPGIMG_1510.JPGIMG_1511-001.JPG
    Robert
    SE LP12/Sole SubChassisVIII/SSP12/Hercules-Mober DC&PSU/Roksan NimaUnipivot+sKale/ZYX R50 Bloom L/Whest PS30R /CambridgeAudio Azur 851A/MerlinTSM/Mytek St192DACTascamDA-3000

Blog Entries

looks brand new!!!

is that a linn lingo PS?
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

looks brand new!!!

is that a linn lingo PS?
    No it's a Mose/Hercules
    Robert
    SE LP12/Sole SubChassisVIII/SSP12/Hercules-Mober DC&PSU/Roksan NimaUnipivot+sKale/ZYX R50 Bloom L/Whest PS30R /CambridgeAudio Azur 851A/MerlinTSM/Mytek St192DACTascamDA-3000

Looks great Robert. What cart do you have on there? What benefits would the better arm board bring?

Schweet

Looks great Robert. What cart do you have on there? What benefits would the better arm board bring?
    Thanks, I'm using a Denon DL304 . Well with the arm board my thinking is based on what read about Linn's with Sole sub-chassis with the new arm board John's making. The Acrylic arm-board blank, that got from j7 that I drilled myself so it's not prefect drilled with hand held drill.I feel that a arm board made like the Sole would just bring many improvement.
    Robert

Blog Entries

thats the best looking (and more than likey sounding ) TD150 i have ever seen !!!
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

thats the best looking (and more than likey sounding ) TD150 i have ever seen !!!
    j7 thanks,I very happy with how well it plays a record.
    Last edited by rkay5; 16th November 2013 at 19:44.
    Robert

Hi Robert.

I had responded to you a while back with an option on a Ai laminated arm board but I heard nothing back frrm you - perhaps you didn't receive it?

Anyhow, basically your request means a one off from scratch which in reality will be crazy for you and I, alternatively I will have top cannibalise a Linn - Rega cut board for you which also is not going to be cheap.

I could offer you a Linn Rega one for the standard price and if you have access to CNC or perhaps you may have a friend out in CA has if so, you'll be on the way to Thorens audio nirvana.

BTW your thoughts are correct, the laminated Ai board murders acrylic and brings out the best in the Sole.

Your TD 150 is basically a supercharged LP12 and if you fitted a TD160 single point bearing and inner platter instead of the captive ball spindle of the TD150 you'd have a fantastic Thorens TT ( the TD 160 bearing is every bit as good as an LP12 bearing) Which incidentally is something to be really proud off as you've done a great job!

Kind regards.

John

Blog Entries

yes but the td150 bearing is still a fine bit of work

id be tempted to leave it in and use some good oil

and i hope John starts to look at the thorens market for his sub chassis....ive said it a few times before there is 1000s of them out there needing new sub chassis
    Last edited by j7; 17th November 2013 at 23:16.
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

John,
    I,m using a TD125mkII single point bearing and inner platter with hard metal thrustplate. You are right it is lot better than stock captive ball spindle.As for the arm board the main mounting hole must be a few mm's to the right for it fit on my TD150 So I was hoping, I think said before if or when you make more boards please sell me a blank one.I have friend with a machine shop and he can do work to fit it to my TD150. I would be willing pay standard price or MORE if you can do it.But if you can't I understand the acrylic board does it's job and better than the stock Linn type I used before.
    thanks m8 Robert
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by j7 View Post
    yes but the td150 bearing is still a fine bit of work

id be tempted to leave it in and use some good oil

and i hope John starts to look at the thorens market for his sub chassis....ive said it a few times before there is 1000s of them out there needing new sub chassis

Lo j7. I didn't mean to decry the quality of the TD150 bearing I agree its a great item, but that of the TD 160 (& as Robert points out theTD 125's) is even better. I'd go as far to say with respect to the running items it's as good as if not better than the Linn.

Using a modern oil is always a good move too.

With respect to manufacturing sub-chassis for Thoren's TT's I remain to be convinced there's a market despite the huge amount to decks out there.

I've been building subs for 5 years now and only Robert has taken the plunge. Robert's was a special request and to be fair to him,as a result of my responding to his needs he has even tried to arouse interest with his many posts across the web, but was left stunned by the silence. Folk are apparently apathetic to it.

All of which means I'm not going to sink investment into a no hoper.

Regards.

John R.

Quote Originally Posted by rkay5 View Post
    John,
    I,m using a TD125mkII single point bearing and inner platter with hard metal thrustplate. You are right it is lot better than stock captive ball spindle.As for the arm board the main mounting hole must be a few mm's to the right for it fit on my TD150 So I was hoping, I think said before if or when you make more boards please sell me a blank one.I have friend with a machine shop and he can do work to fit it to my TD150. I would be willing pay standard price or MORE if you can do it.But if you can't I understand the acrylic board does it's job and better than the stock Linn type I used before.
    thanks m8 Robert

That's good to hear Robert, though I didn't realise you were utilising a TD125 bearing and sub platter.

I have an Ai laminated LP 123 arm board here (Rega cut) still with the protective packaging - drop me a PM or e-mail to discuss.

Regards.

John R.

Robert.

Got you mail - thanks...!

The boards I have are Linn sized, so that's 298mm long by 102mm wide. The economies of scale dictate unfortunately, to make anything of a longer or wider size than this is not going to happen for a one off I'm afraid. So this is the first hurdle to cross..

I have a few Rega cut boards here in the overall size stated but his place he centre of the 23mm Rega mounting hole approx 51.5mm from the top of the board & approx 55.5mm from the LHS of the board.

The only other alternative I could offer is an SME board with the angled slot but you'd have to engineer a mounting interface. All the board I have in stock only have the Linn, Regs SME or Naim arm mounting hole - no sub-chassis attachment holes have been machined in them, unfortunately I have no total blank boards.

Regards.

John.

John,
    The hole for a rega based on the number you gave will work on my TD150. And if there no hole for sub-chassis mount I will take a Rega arm borad right now! The mounting holes for sub-chassis was the problem I was most worry about but if I can have it drilled over here all is good how much is it and will send you a paypal.
    Thanks big time m8 Robert
    P.S. Also add a black Plattamat 2 to this.
    Last edited by rkay5; 20th November 2013 at 02:17.
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by rkay5 View Post
    John,
    The hole for a rega based on the number you gave will work on my TD150. And if there no hole for sub-chassis mount I will take a Rega arm borad right now! The mounting holes for sub-chassis was the problem I was most worry about but if I can have it drilled over here all is good how much is it and will send you a paypal.
    Thanks big time m8 Robert
    P.S. Also add a black Plattamat 2 to this.

Glad the dimensions work for you Robert.

PM sent.

Regards.

John R

Did it all work out OK for you Robert ? It's all gone quite over there in CA - is that a good or a bad sign?

Regards

John R.

Did it all work out OK for you Robert ? It's all gone quite over there in CA - is that a good or a bad sign?
    It's all a good sign to busy listening to records to post on line.The new AI arm board is big improvement, it even make set up easier.I'm so happy with my TD150 now. Again I'd like to thank John for his help

IMG_1610.JPGIMG_1612.JPGIMG_1607.JPG
    Attached Images
    Robert

That's great news Robert.. Acrylic is easily bettered as a material for arm boards and of course sub-chassis.

Glad you're one happy bunny rediscovering your record collection all over again!

Regards

John R

I should also add how AI arm board being perfectly straight is a big improvement over the Linn arm board that I once used and the Acrylic arm board the AI board replaced.
    Robert

+ Reply to Thread