+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Custom Thorens TD150 Sole

Rega have relaunched the Planar 3. Ed Selley loves it. But there can't be much to improve on the original budget/mid-priced deck.

Quote Originally Posted by rkay5 View Post
    I'd love to hear what all of you here thing of my TD150. back on topic
    I think it looks great but isn't it more lp12 now than td150,even down to the way the top plate is fastened to the plinth? more to the point is :-are you happy with it?you being happy and proud of the time and effort you have put into to it and thinking the end result is worth it is the most important thing

Yes I'm very happy with it. I used Linn ideas like mounting top plate as I feel it is better way than what thorens used.
    And how with the new top plate the sq is as good is the $15k LP12 at the Linn dealer so I feel I have gotten what I was looking for
    but I just like hear what other think or if they have any ideas for more improvements.
    Robert
    SE LP12/Sole SubChassisVIII/SSP12/Hercules-Mober DC&PSU/Roksan NimaUnipivot+sKale/ZYX R50 Bloom L/Whest PS30R /CambridgeAudio Azur 851A/MerlinTSM/Mytek St192DACTascamDA-3000

Hi Robert.

You have obviously worked long and hard at your TD 150/LP12 hybrid and I admire your dedication and belief. It's great to read that you feel the time and modest cost has resulted in the TT that can hold its own against a dealers demo LP12 @ $15k.

I am chuffed to witness that my small contribution has aided you in achieving the goal of your project. Long may you be happy - well done!

Our current prototype suspension kit may add a little more dynamism and detail, but we're a little way off releasing it just yet - it will not be expensive - watch the Ai lounge for more news on this over the course of the next month or so.

Regards.

John
    Last edited by John R; 2nd June 2016 at 23:31.

I still enjoy using my modded Lenco that Simon made for me. The ritual of playing vinyl is always something to look forward to and it seems more so on a unique deck.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    I still enjoy using my modded Lenco that Simon made for me. The ritual of playing vinyl is always something to look forward to and it seems more so on a unique deck.
    Is it unique though? Didn't he build one for himself too?

Yes but it's not as good, Si said so himself.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Yes but it's not as good, Si said so himself.
    I know, but that makes it very very rare, not unique

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    I know, but that makes it very very rare, not unique
    unless the other is identical it is unique,we can all be pedantic!
    it's a bit like personal number plates,if you thinks about it everyone has a personal plate,none are used by other folk,so are unique or "personal" it's just some pay for the privilege of letters and numbers in their desired combination

This is semantics. Unique can mean There isn't another one the same as mine so it's unique.
    Last edited by TIU; 3rd June 2016 at 23:03.

i know all this, I was just yanking yer chain.

He heh

What a wonderful language is English..

Gent's please! This thread is for discussion with respect Robert's much modified TD150 project! It's not a lesson in English. Well OK I suppose it may be, but dear God.

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    He heh

What a wonderful language is English..

Gent's please! This thread is for discussion with respect Robert's much modified TD150 project! It's not a lesson in English. Well OK I suppose it may be, but dear God.
    john how is the main bearing secured in the bearing carrier is it just a tight press fit or is the bearing cryogenically cooled and the pressed into a heated carrier to make sure it never moves?

Based on the o/d the bearing itself, I decided that a modest transitional fit rather than an interference fit would be sufficient to ensure the bearing would never move in use, rather than mechanically press the bearing into the housing I cooled it to -15C and it dropped like a good un.

Our current prototype suspension kit may add a little more dynamism and detail, but we're a little way off releasing it just yet - it will not be expensive - watch the Ai lounge for more news on this over the course of the next month or so.
    John,
    I would like to know more about your prototype suspension kit .Does it still use spring type suspension or something else?
    Robert
    SE LP12/Sole SubChassisVIII/SSP12/Hercules-Mober DC&PSU/Roksan NimaUnipivot+sKale/ZYX R50 Bloom L/Whest PS30R /CambridgeAudio Azur 851A/MerlinTSM/Mytek St192DACTascamDA-3000

Too soon to divulge any more technicalities Robert.. I have sets with various enthusiasts across the world and whilst I have received very positive feedback from one valued customer in Scotland, I wish to await the other's feedback which I hope will provide a positive consensus before I provide more info .

However, I will say this regarding the Gentleman in Scotland who has already tried them, he has a rather hi end LP12 with Radikal, Sole VII and PU7 I cannot recall as I write what his cartridge is, but he has very capable loudspeakers in his Yamaha NS1000's

I am quite happy for Willie to provide his thoughts on the sonic performance that his trial set provides his LP12 with, without him saying too much on the components themselves. You also have to bear in mind the components I have distributed for trial are only a small part of a larger kit that I am using on my LP12.

Regards

John

so j7 is testing if for you?

No M8 WillRae is.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    No M8 WillRae is.

John
    was going off the ns1000 speakers,I know j7 has 2 pair as I asked him about selling one pair of them to me lol

+ Reply to Thread