+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AI Rega Counterweight

Default AI Rega Counterweight

A big thanks to John for the extended loan of his excellent counterweight.

I initially fitted this to a Standard Rega RB 250 I was using. To give some context to the review, the RB 250 was fitted to a Garrard 401 which was in turn mounted in a twin level slate plinth. The cartridge of choice was an Audio Technica AT33PTG. The deck was connected to a Highphonics T5 Step up transformer which in turn fed into a Puresound P10 phono stage. A WD preamp, and WD Psu and then into a Glasshouse 300B amp and onto my Tannoy GRF Memory speakers all via various 99.99 solid silver interconnects and Mogami speaker cable.

The weight looks excellent straight out of the packaging. John suggests that the production models will be better finished, my opinion is that there is no need for a better finish at the risk of increasing the unit cost of the weight and potentially losing out against the competition.

I found the weight far easier to set up and use than other weights I have tried on the Rega.

Its a well thought out design with low slung counterweight with reduces the centre of gravity of the arm assembly

The weight is well made and well presented using quality materials and finish.

My initial listening impressions with the weight fitted was that the sound is now more dynamic top to bottom with more texture to the sound, bass is deeper and the higher frequencies are brighter. Voices are clearer and sweeter. The main most noticeable thing the weight does is focus and makes the bass more prominent in the mix.

I then changed the tonearm and fitted a Rega RB 600. As generically this is the same arm as the RB 250 the comments regarding ease of fitting apply equally to this arm.

The improvements sonically were not as marked as had been noted in the RB 250 probably due to better Quality Control being employed by Rega with the 600 over the 250, however there was still an improvement in bass dynamics.

The improvements I have spoken about are not comparing Johns weight against the standard Rega weight but against Technoweights which were fitted to both my Rega Arms.

In conclussion to my ears the weight is a complete success and I would certainly consider buying one having heard and tried one.

Andy

PS John your weight will be winging its way back to you next week sometime
    Last edited by Andy831; 5th December 2009 at 14:21. Reason: Minor spelling changes

Nice one, and these improvements over a technoweight, can you imagine the improvements over a standard rega weight, hopefully this is the start of a very succesful product for John, a lot more potentital salse than the excellent sole, due to many factors, and it being neat and easy to fit.

Nice one John, and thanks for posting your views Andy.

Andy.

An even bigger thank you is due to you for taking the time out to review my pre production Rega counterweight mod. I'm most impressed that you genuinely feel it beats the Michell Tecnoweight - that was what I was aiming for and to actually achive it - I'm bowled over!

Really nice to see your comments regarding quality of finish, fantastic - as you rightly point out a better finish = more time and extra care = greater cost. However, economies of scale prevail when comitting to production runs and the more genuine interest I have in this mod then the lower the cost will be to punters. The result of your unbiased review should have a positive effect on garnering interest and the next step will be to post pictures of the mod and your feedback on my web site. I've also just seen that you've posted your words on pink fish media too - Great !

I'm off to update my web site now. Thanks very much indeed !!

John R.
    Last edited by John R; 5th December 2009 at 17:52.

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    Nice one, and these improvements over a technoweight, can you imagine the improvements over a standard rega weight, hopefully this is the start of a very succesful product for John, a lot more potentital salse than the excellent sole, due to many factors, and it being neat and easy to fit.

Nice one John, and thanks for posting your views Andy.
    Cheers Paul !

Be nice to get some more out there for reviews. I have rkay5 interested off this forum and another guy on pfm. Regarding the Sole - it's going fine at the moment, I'm having a better 2nd year than I thought I would given the financial problems facing people across the world. The Mark V version is now ready to go I have a fair few here but sadly the cost has had to rise to 350 with jig fitted Linn armboard.

Next step my own AI armboards will be available in the New Year - a constrained layer construction, powder coated black with or without a screen printed AI logo in the following cuts: Linn, Rega, SME, Morch, Naim. Guide price 100- they will be an improvement over the Linn board.

John R.

Heads up Folks ! Merry Christmas to you all and a very Happy New Year! Many thanks to all of you that have supported me over this last year and beyond. As always greatly appreciated!

The price of my our counterweight kit for Rega arms will be 79 - provided we get enough interest. Andy831 and Choppy felt it was a step up from Michells Technoweight so there you have it, if there's enough interest it'll be manufactured and sold.

Also planned for release in the New Year AI LP12 armboards - These are superior in manufacture, being nice-n-flat compared to Linns arm board - they will be made to the same prinicple as the Sole and painted satin black, no Linn logo I'm afraid but that logo doesn't do anything for sound quality anyhow does it?

Another plus being they will be made available for the following arms. Linn, Rega, SME, Naim, Morch. All CNC machined and all will be the same price - no premium for the ARO. Cost ? TBA - I'm working on this at the moment.

John R

Blog Entries

well done J
    looking forward to those AI lp12 armboards
    get us some pics asap!!

best wishes of the season
    j7
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    Also planned for release in the New Year AI LP12 armboards - These are superior in manufacture, being nice-n-flat compared to Linns arm board - they will be made to the same prinicple as the Sole and painted satin black, no Linn logo I'm afraid but that logo doesn't do anything for sound quality anyhow does it?

Another plus being they will be made available for the following arms. Linn, Rega, SME, Naim, Morch. All CNC machined and all will be the same price - no premium for the ARO. Cost ? TBA - I'm working on this at the moment.

John R
    John,
    New armboard how very cool do you think I can get one for my TD150 with maybe it would have to blank. I'm up to speed on the drilling of armboards now.
    Things are looking good for your Rega counterweight kit I still would like test one.And Merry Christmas all!
    Robert
    SE LP12/Sole SubChassisVIII/SSP12/Hercules-Mober DC&PSU/Roksan NimaUnipivot+sKale/ZYX R50 Bloom3 L/Whest PS30R /CambridgeAudio Azur 851A/MerlinTSM/Mytek St192DACTascamDA-3000

Quote Originally Posted by j7 View Post
    well done J
    looking forward to those AI lp12 armboards
    get us some pics asap!!

best wishes of the season
    j7

Will do J7, as soon as I'm happy with the quality of finish I'll get some pics posted.

Quote Originally Posted by rkay5 View Post
    John,
    New armboard how very cool do you think I can get one for my TD150 with maybe it would have to blank. I'm up to speed on the drilling of armboards now.
    Things are looking good for your Rega counterweight kit I still would like test one.And Merry Christmas all!

I'll look into making plain ones available for the LP12 and TD150.

A Rega counterwieght kit will be winging its way to you for trial in the New Year.

Compliments of the season to you all on the Crossover Network

John R.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post

Next step my own AI armboards will be available in the New Year - a constrained layer construction, powder coated black with or without a screen printed AI logo in the following cuts: Linn, Rega, SME, Morch, Naim. Guide price 100- they will be an improvement over the Linn board.

John R.
    w
    Hi John,
    what is the construction of the AI armboard (I don't want to know trade secrets!). Is it really a cld, or just a laminate? If the latter, how did you determine what materials to use, (any experiments?)

HNY
    cheers.....Bryan

http://qualia.webs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cat's squirrel View Post
    w
    Hi John,
    what is the construction of the AI armboard (I don't want to know trade secrets!). Is it really a cld, or just a laminate? If the latter, how did you determine what materials to use, (any experiments?)

HNY
    Hi Bryan.
    Happy New Year to you and all peeps !

New thread started to answer your quesion and to keep things on track.

Kind regards.

John R.

[QUOTE John R]Those who've heard our Rega counterweight kit reckon it comfortably beats the Technoweight in a number of areas, but as interest levels are not as high as I would have thought, I'm reluctant to commit to a production run at present.[/QUOTE]
    John,
    Not good news I was look forward to testing the AI Rega counterweight to see if it improves the RB250 over the AudioQuest PT6 (Jelco) so can sell one of arms with a very modified TD166mkII what to do?So can I still try the AI.
    Robert
    SE LP12/Sole SubChassisVIII/SSP12/Hercules-Mober DC&PSU/Roksan NimaUnipivot+sKale/ZYX R50 Bloom3 L/Whest PS30R /CambridgeAudio Azur 851A/MerlinTSM/Mytek St192DACTascamDA-3000

John R, are you willing to custom make these counterweights for people who pay up front?
    I have a Rock and I'm not afraid to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by rkay5 View Post
    John,
    Not good news I was look forward to testing the AI Rega counterweight to see if it improves the RB250 over the AudioQuest PT6 (Jelco) so can sell one of arms with a very modified TD166mkII what to do?So can I still try the AI.

Robert.
    Rest assured - You will get the opportunity to test our protoype counterweight!
    I am hoping that two pfm members will feedback their experiences soon and I'm privy to one of them being another positive - may be this will provide additional impetus to enable us to move forward with our plan to market these kits - we'll see?

John R.

Quote Originally Posted by Batty View Post
    John R, are you willing to custom make these counterweights for people who pay up front?
    I'm sure I can do something for you if you are that keen, but I would very much prefer to offer them at a fair price on the open market. Please PM me.

John R.

Cool Small run of AI counterweight kits!

OK, I'm slowly being persuaded to manufacture a very small batch of AI Rega counterweight kits. Unfortunately, they'll not be cheap but any of you interested please PM me with your cartridge details (manufacturer & model) and I'll explain the deal.

John R.

Last edited by Col; 10th July 2010 at 19:50. Reason: Double Post

Hi All
    Well My Thanks to John R for sending me his A1 Rega Counterweight on the 60Day trial I have fitted it to a new standard RB251 I just got from j7 on to a Thorens TD160B mkII with a G1042 so far I like a lot More later

The Blues Man
    Thorens TD160B Mk II Rega RB251/G1042 Rega Planner Three AO Rega RB250/Ortofon 2M blue.Wad Custom Valve Phono 3 CD Players Arcam Alpha six Marants 52SE Marants 63SE.

It does look great doesn't it.
    I have a Rock and I'm not afraid to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Batty View Post
    It does look great doesn't it.

Yep the AI Counterweight cosmetically works well with the Black and silver of the Thorens TD160
    The Blues Man
    Thorens TD160B Mk II Rega RB251/G1042 Rega Planner Three AO Rega RB250/Ortofon 2M blue.Wad Custom Valve Phono 3 CD Players Arcam Alpha six Marants 52SE Marants 63SE.

Hi Col,
    What cartridge are you using with the RB251 & AI counter weight? I'm also testing the AI weight on my TD150 with Sole Sub-chassis Rega/Moth RB250 and Denon DL110 and DL160 HOMC cartridges, it's a big improvement AI more detail, deeper bass cleaner highs and better tracking.Next week I'm going try it on my TD166mkII more to come.
    Robert

+ Reply to Thread