+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AI Rega Counterweight

Blog Entries

this counterweight is directly couple to the arm, yes? J7 says its best for MC cartridges, so how does it sound with MM's?
    Last edited by John R; 26th November 2014 at 10:56.
    cheers.....Bryan

http://qualia.webs.com/

Hi rKay5
    Yep I couldn'tít agree more with your findings using the AI counterweight Well I have two setups to try it on first up is my TD160B Mk II standard Rega RB251/Goldring 1040 Cart second setup is my Rega planner three with j7s modded AO RB250/Ortofon 2M blue The AI weight will also be up against j7s low slung brass Counterweight on this system also more to come plus Review
    The Blues Man
    Thorens TD160B Mk II Rega RB251/G1042 Rega Planner Three AO Rega RB250/Ortofon 2M blue.Wad Custom Valve Phono 3 CD Players Arcam Alpha six Marants 52SE Marants 63SE.

Thorens TD160B standard rega 251 G1040 Cart AI Rega Counterweight upgrade kit
    Albums Used
    Tracy Chapman Album of same name
    Sade Promises
    First up was Chapman album Well the AI counterweight created a Weighty and wide sound stage where Chapmanís Voice was well define and rock solid in center stage instruments had good space between them cymbals were smooth and clean to the point if you are a drummer you could most likely tell which brand was being used Next up Sade Promises again this album sounded very involving her voice clean and clear sax in particular just hanging in space If you Do nothing else to you Rega RB251/250 you owe it to yourself the get Johns AI Rega Counterweight
    Used on a standard Rega Arm will elevate you Arm to new heights believe Me
    Part two to come
    Audio Origami Rega RB250/Ortofon 2M Blue Cart Rega Planner Three
    The Blues Man
    Thorens TD160B Mk II Rega RB251/G1042 Rega Planner Three AO Rega RB250/Ortofon 2M blue.Wad Custom Valve Phono 3 CD Players Arcam Alpha six Marants 52SE Marants 63SE.

Quote Originally Posted by cat's squirrel View Post
    this counterweight is directly couple to the arm, yes? J7 says its best for MC cartridges, so how does it sound with MM's?
    Hi Bryan.

Looks as if the answer to your question is "great"

regards

John R.

Quote Originally Posted by Col View Post
    Albums Used
    Sade Promises
    First up was Chapman album Well the AI counterweight created a Weighty and wide sound stage where Chapman’s Voice was well define and rock solid in center stage instruments had good space between them cymbals were smooth and clean to the point if you are a drummer you could most likely tell which brand was being used Next up Sade Promises again this album sounded very involving her voice clean and clear sax in particular just hanging in space If you Do nothing else to you Rega RB251/250 you owe it to yourself the get Johns AI Rega Counterweight
    Part two to come
    Hi Col.

Great news! - glad you find it a worthwhile upgrade.. All I need now is more interest, then I can possibly get the unit cost of the production kit into a competitive arena.

Funny thing is I had unbelievable interest in the Sole LP12 sub chassis when I announced its birth but very little in comparison for the Rega counterweight upgrade, even after the majority of (EDIT read all) folk who've tried it have openly stated it is better performing than the Tecnoweight and easier to use/adjust too ! Strange old world.

My target price for these was meant to be around the £80 mark for production kit based on a call off of 100 units. The pre prod kit you have there cost me just a little more than that in design/drawing/set up costs etc.

Anyhow good to hear you like it.

John R.
    Last edited by John R; 14th July 2010 at 22:27. Reason: doin' myself down a bit there!

Hi John,
    Well the AI Rega counter weight is Great I feel it make the RB250 a much better arm I really like the tracking improvement and tighter and deeper bass I think and feel it is a better counter weight than the Michell Tecnoweight and it help too make the RB250 a little better than my AudioQuest PT6/Jelco tonearm so if and when you start selling AI counter weight I want one.
    Robert
    SE LP12/Sole SubChassisVIII/SSP12/Hercules-Mober DC&PSU/Roksan NimaUnipivot+sKale/ZYX R50 Bloom3 L/Whest PS30R /CambridgeAudio Azur 851A/MerlinTSM/Mytek St192DACTascamDA-3000

Quote Originally Posted by rkay5 View Post
    Hi John,
    Well the AI Rega counter weight is Great I feel it make the RB250 a much better arm I really like the tracking improvement and tighter and deeper bass I think and feel it is a better counter weight than the Michell Tecnoweight and it help too make the RB250 a little better than my AudioQuest PT6/Jelco tonearm so if and when you start selling AI counter weight I want one.
    Hi Robert.

Thanks for your support. Happy you like it too !

Regards

John R.

I am also interested
    I have a Rock and I'm not afraid to use it.

Albums Used
    Sade Promises
    First up was Chapman album Well the AI counterweight created a Weighty and wide sound stage where Chapmanís Voice was well define and rock solid in center stage instruments had good space between them cymbals were smooth and clean to the point if you are a drummer you could most likely tell which brand was being used Next up Sade Promises again this album sounded very involving her voice clean and clear sax in particular just hanging in space If you Do nothing else to you Rega RB251/250 you owe it to yourself the get Johns AI Rega Counterweight
    Part two to come

Hi All
    Part two
    Right
    Right this time I used my own low slung brass Counterweight with which the end stub is just screw in to the arm thread so isnít de-coupled. So assumed by some this shouldn'tít work well I have news for you it works just fine using the same two Albums. as I did with the TD160/standard rega 251.Well the Bigger weightier wide sound stage was there in spades lots of space between instrumentsí on a Black background A very clean and focused sound I thought much better than the Thorens TD160 sd rega251 but this was still very good at this point I changed over two Johns Rega AI Counterweight and cued up Sadeís Album promises sat back to enjoy well it didnít take long thinking bloody hell thatís good the same Weighty and wide sound stage was there but this time the far left/right edges of the sound stage became more defined and were sharper and cleaner any blurring had gone it was like opening a window in front of you speakers
    And so to conclude this review johns Counterweight is an Audiophile upgrade to any rega arm and special with a J7 Audio Origami modded Rega RB250
    Top job John R
    The Blues Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cat's squirrel View Post

i also said that there is a band of carts that work well on both types of rear stub...coupled and de-coupled...and that its great to have both rear ends to play with
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

Hi j7
    Yep I got my round low slung Brass counterweight of eBay I thought it was one of yours j7 but not so sure now it doesn'tít have the we flange at the threaded end which I think your has but is works well on AO RB250/ortofon 2m Cart rega 3 plinth will have to think about the AO treatment on the RB251
    The Blues Man

Quote Originally Posted by j7 View Post
    i also said that there is a band of carts that work well on both types of rear stub...coupled and de-coupled...and that its great to have both rear ends to play with
    John You play with your own rear end and leave the rest alone.
    Coincidences - Gods way of reminding you that he's here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    John You play with your own rear end and leave the rest alone.
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

My 250 is a bit of a hybrid, has the j7 foam and rewire and an OL tail end. Works well with G1042 and DL-110.

Quote Originally Posted by Batty View Post
    I am also interested
    Would you like to give the AI counterweight a trail ? If so please PM me and I'll get in touch with the deal.

John R

John, I'm in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Batty View Post
    John, I'm in Australia.
    I was aware of that Batty, why should that make any difference?

John R

Blog Entries

think Batty was just worried about the higher postage costs john

i must say the weight looks fantastic...and i love that finish you got on the weight....nice work m8!
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by j7 View Post
    think Batty was just worried about the higher postage costs john

i must say the weight looks fantastic...and i love that finish you got on the weight....nice work m8!
    Cheers j7 !

Very encouraging to read that and coming from the acknowledged master of tonearms too !

It does look quite good I agree, but what it imparts to the Rega arm is just wonderful as Col as recently found out , as have a few others before him.

Batty and I are in dialogue via pm, I sure we can come to an agreement soon.

Many thanks for your kind words j7

Regards

John R.

Hi All
    Well My Thanks to John R for sending me his A1 Rega Counterweight on the 60Day trial I have fitted it to a new standard RB251 I just got from j7 on to a Thorens TD160B mkII with a G1042 so far I like a lot More later

First up fitted it to the standard rega RB251/ G1042 /TD 160B/ this made a big difference to the Standard RB 251 tightened up the bass and bringing out more of the fine detail of the instruments and vocals sounded more refined Albums used were Sade .s Promises Trace Chapmanís Album of same name ía much more airy sound with much better bass definition making it easy to follow
    I would have been happy using john Rs AI Rega counterweight in this setup but as it just happens I have a modded rega 3 and yes you guessed it a full moded j7 Rega RB250/2M Blue Cart first think I noted in this setup was that well definition bass again but this time it had dropped down an octave
    instruments had more space between them the sound stage became lower and wider this is where I can say everything became more involving like when you get that feeling of the hair standing up on the back of your neck if a system can do this to me well thatís a winner in my book so to sum up Johnís
    AI Rega counterweight is a worthy upgrade to your standard rega 251/250 and a Delight with a Rega moded RB 250 no question
    Just Like to thank JohnR for allowing me the chance to trial his AI Rega counterweight
    The Blues Man

Glad you liked it Col!

All I need to do now is to promote the kit via my website and get some orders flowing.

John R

+ Reply to Thread