+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 25 best live records of all time

Default 25 best live records of all time

Week 1

Well, I'm jumping back in with another list, and this could be the best I've found since the '50 Most Influential' that I started about 5 years ago and faithfully posted about each week until all 50 had been mentioned. It created a fair amount of interest and debate, this will last half that time, but I hope it helps to create a little excitement...well, let's say interest...around here. Here goes nothing...

25 The Allman Brothers Band - At the Fillmore East - haven’t had your fill of “Whipping Post,” you didn’t grow up on FM Radio. Southern Rock never quite reached its potential--unless you consider Molly Hatchet transcendent--but its roots were sharp and shaggy. Had Duane Allman lived, would he have had the power to re-route its course? As the mystics say, who knows?

This remains one of my personal favourites; Hot 'Lanta, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed...great stuff all. What say you?
    Last edited by nobody; 18th January 2010 at 15:58.
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."

I think this will trow up some interesting choices
    just kickin back

Alison Krauss and Union Station for both its production and content. Wonderful.

Steve Earle, Townes van Zant and Guy Clarke. Great stuff again.

Generally I'm not that keen on live albums but these are both exceptional.
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

How about Joe Jackson-Big World.

Anyone listening for the first time, with no prior knowledge of this album, would never realise it's live.
    Anthony.

I think we have to pass comment of the album Nobody puts up and then after week 25 we have massive dust up over our faves that weren't even mentioned
    just kickin back

Quote Originally Posted by Duvet View Post
    I think we have to pass comment of the album Nobody puts up and then after week 25 we have massive dust up over our faves that weren't even mentioned
    That reads about right to me so....
    Week 1. Allmans at the Fillmore. Never heard it !!!!
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvet View Post
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."

Fillmore east is a great shout

So is Peter Gabriel Live

Deep Purple : Made in Japan

Rush: All the Worlds a stage.

and my real favourite Yes : Yesshows

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post

So is Peter Gabriel Live

Not big on live albums but PG Live is probably the best live album I own, that and PT's Coma Divine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post

So is Peter Gabriel Live

Good shouts there too paul. This will be an interesting thread methinks, got my own faves but im going to wait and see what bernd throws at us over the course of the thread to see if they are on the list.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    Week 1

Well, I'm jumping back in with another list, and this could be the best I've found since the '50 Most Influential' that I started about 5 years ago and faithfully posted about each week until all 50 had been mentioned. It created a fair amount of interest and debate, this will last half that time, but I hope it helps to create a little excitement...well, let's say interest...around here. Here goes nothing...

25 The Allman Brothers Band - At the Fillmore East - haven’t had your fill of “Whipping Post,” you didn’t grow up on FM Radio. Southern Rock never quite reached its potential--unless you consider Molly Hatchet transcendent--but its roots were sharp and shaggy. Had Duane Allman lived, would he have had the power to re-route its course? As the mystics say, who knows?

This remains one of my personal favorites; Hot 'Lanta, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed...great stuff all. What say you?
    I'm sure I must have heard this but don't have it, (tho there's a couple of their albums still on the shelf) Don't play em that often tho as I get a bit bored with them, ( same same for Lynerd Skynard.. )

If there's any justice tho this list will have the Stones's Ya Ya's and Neil Young's Live Rust
    Hey Santa, Pass us that bottle will ya..

Blog Entries

I've not heard the Allman Brothers Filmore East album, it's on my list to get.
    in fact the only Allman stuff I have is the Derek and the Dominos box set (Which has some extremely tasty spontaneous Jams on disc 3)

All I'm gonna add to the Live albums debate is that Quo's Live Double from the Apollo Glasgow better be on the list...

I'm starting a list of Nobody's lists, so we can discuss the merits of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Roksoff View Post
    Not big on live albums but PG Live is probably the best live album I own, that and PT's Coma Divine.
    It's good because most of it was re-recorded in the studio. PG is a perfectionist and would not allow anything he felt to be sub-standard to be released. Because he's had a lot of criticism for tinkering with live recordings in the past, he has now acquiesced a little and has sanctioned the Encore series of live recordings made direct from the mixing desks. I have the raw CD of the show I went to a few years ago at the Bham NIA and although it is obviously him singing, his radio mike also picks up a great deal of heavy breathing and occasional off-key and varied levels of volume singing. I have been watching his Growing Up Tour DVD recently and can tell he has re-recorded all his vocals afterwards in the studio.

Blog Entries

Personally, I'd rather have an honest recording with flaws than a fraudulent 'live' album where everything is overdubbed.

Legend has it that when Quo sent the mixes for the Live album to the US for release on their US label (I think it was RIVA) over there, the label refused to believe it hadn't been overdubbed. So the Multitracks went over as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cartridgemangler View Post
    Personally, I'd rather have an honest recording with flaws than a fraudulent 'live' album where everything is overdubbed.
    Same goes for me. Twas only a month or so ago that i found out that Lynot had 'doctored' shall we say,Live and Dangerous. Pissed me right off, duped for 32 yrs,bassa.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Have to be honest and say I haven't heard it. A pal is a big fan so I'll need to see if I can get a loan as he'll doubtless have it.

Whilst I'd agree with Duvet that discussion should be about the weekly choice from NB it'd be a bugger if no-one else had actually heard the bit o music in question. Given NB's limitless selection/taste I'm bound to have one of them sooner or later

Ahh I've misunderstood, I thought it was nominations for an all time list.

Re Fillmore east, the vinyl version is where it's at, but the deluxe cd version has more on it including the 34 minute Mountain Jam, peeps need both IMHO great album though superb for a boozy Saturday night.

Blog Entries

Am currently cough, ahem 'procuring' a copy at the moment. looking forward to listening to it

+ Reply to Thread