+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 25 best live records of all time

Listening to it on spotify, well i thought i'd give it a blast,so far so good.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Blog Entries

Am about two thirds through Disc 1 of the Deluxe edition. Very impressed so far, and it's definitely very close in feel to the Jam sessions which can be found in the Layla 20th Anniversary Box. In fact one of the jams is pretty much the Allman Brothers band + clapton.

Can anyone type up the tracklist for the Original Version of the Filmore East album, so I can listen to the album as it was originally released?

Any help kenny,im too idle to type it out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_Fillmore_East

About halfway down the page.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Blog Entries

Cheers

Very impressed with this album. I think it will get repeated plays over the next few days

Any time kenny. Twas of use to me to after reading your post as the spotify playlist is all over the fekin place.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Default Week 2

Well, I can't say that I would agree or disagree with this one since I've never heard it, and I would bet that very few of you have either.

The Homecoming Concert--Tim Hardin: Hardin died soon after this concert. But before he went, he showed up in Eugene, Oregon at the Community Center for the Performing Arts, where between bingo games he performed the songs contained on this fine album. What is the sound of one man collapsing? Why, this very document.

I can't even remember the last time I heard anything by this guy, who died in 1980 at the age of 39. He had a couple of hits, including 'If I Were a Carpenter" and "Reason to Believe", the latter covered by Rod Stewart. Anyway, I find it surprising that this would be on a top 25 list.

You?
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."

I am slightly embarrassed to say that I don't think that I've heard of the chap...
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

I've heard of him. Not an artist who has ever caught my attention but a good singer-songwriter. I hope this list isn't full of entries like this - albums hardly anyone has heard of simply because the compiler thinks it 'cool' or clever to choose them.

Nope never heard of him. However the allmans fillmore is now on my buy it list.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

I must be in a minority then cos not only have I heard of him, I have 6 or 7 of his albums.. , I do have his first live album, (Tim Hardin 3) tho not the one under discussion, don't think I've ever heard it iether..

If you can enjoy 60's singer / songwriter you should check this guy out, everybody knows at least 2 or 3 of Tim's songs, nobody listed the two most obvious, though any lover of ELP/Nice will recognise "Hang On to A Dream"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyLNI6F8IAY

another you might know....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aToRRpWu3Sc
    Hey Santa, Pass us that bottle will ya..

Quote Originally Posted by KB1 View Post
    Nope never heard of him. However the allmans fillmore is now on my buy it list.

Redneck boogie man, lol. Neil Young sang about groups like that.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Redneck boogie man, lol. Neil Young sang about groups like that.
    Ah but does he remember singing about them ?.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Blog Entries

I've heard of him, but never heard him. must investigate this one soon

Don't MoFi do the Allman bros CD? (sorry for backtracking...) I must have a look at that soon.

Anyone here rate Lyle Lovett? 'Live in Texas' is a joyous concert, quite a show, my almost favourite live album. Stunning production too, just as good as Krauss & Union Station.

Favourite is Frank Sinatra at The Sands, with the Count Basie band. Man, if I could have been at one concert in the last century...

Very small Pic

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Brown View Post
    Don't MoFi do the Allman bros CD? (sorry for backtracking...) I must have a look at that soon.

Anyone here rate Lyle Lovett? 'Live in Texas' is a joyous concert, quite a show, my almost favourite live album. Stunning production too, just as good as Krauss & Union Station.

Favourite is Frank Sinatra at The Sands, with the Count Basie band. Man, if I could have been at one concert in the last century...

Very small Pic
    that would be very tasty indeed

Not heard much Lyle Lovett. Another of those names that floats around the ether and I never ger round to having a listen.
    "It's ok your comments are noted, so if you want a war you've got one. Watch your back, ya !!!!...." in an email from Marco 3/4/09

Quote Originally Posted by cartridgemangler View Post
    that would be very tasty indeed

Not heard much Lyle Lovett. Another of those names that floats around the ether and I never ger round to having a listen.
    Just checked - I'm disappointed to say I was wrong , it's the Allman Bros 'Idlewild South' that MoFi do, and I haven't heard that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Brown View Post
    Just checked - I'm disappointed to say I was wrong , it's the Allman Bros 'Idlewild South' that MoFi do, and I haven't heard that one.
    MOFI do Brothers and Sisters too.
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Default Week 3

I know that everyone was waiting on pins and needles and with bated breath, so here is the third exciting entry in this series.

Behind The Iron Curtain--Nico:
    Nico didn’t record much. This German chanteuse wasn’t the most prolific artist and she was labeled pretty much a cult artist, even though she predated the Goth movement by over a decade and should have been anointed its Queen. Since she had a limited repertoire, her albums tend to have the same songs on them. Deciding which versions you like best is half the fun and really confusing.

Well, this certainly doesn't tell you much about the content of the record, but here are the tracks on this record:

1. "All Saints' Night" - 9:14
    2. "Procession" - 3:48
    3. "Secret Side" - 3:33 (Nico)
    4. "Das Lied vom einsamen Mädchen" - 6:08 (Robert Gilbert, Heyman)
    5. "Win a Few" - 8:55 (Nico)
    6. "König" - 4:27 (Nico)
    7. "Purple Lips" - 4:32 (Nico)
    8. "All Tomorrow's Parties" - 3:03 (Lou Reed)
    9. "Fearfully in Danger" - 6:49 (Nico)
    10. "The End" - 10:10 (The Doors)
    11. "My Funny Valentine" - 4:15 (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart)
    12. "Sixty/Forty" - 2:26 (Nico)
    13. "Tananore" - 4:06 (Nico)
    14. "Janitor of Lunacy" - 4:19 (Nico)
    15. "My Heart Is Empty" - 5:15 (Nico)
    16. "Femme Fatale" - 3:48 (Lou Reed

One notable missing tune is Chelsea Girls, so here is the link to a You Tube video, albeit a strange one, with Nico performing the song in, of all places, the Chelsea Hotel.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ype6Hw_Hmjo

Nico is an acquired taste, but I liked her quite a bit, especially her work with VU. She was a mess and died at 'about' 50 years of age, since the year of her birth has been widely disputed but thought to be 1938 while her death was in 1988.

Comments?
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."

I can't think what a whole album especially of live Nico would be like.

I don't mind the odd bit of her with the VU. She has a smooth, soporific type of voice - not in a bad way. Perhaps its the German lilt. Would have loved to have heard her doing some Krautrock!

Bet she wouldn't win X-Factor though...

I haven't heard any of Nico's solo albums for many years, what I do remember about them is that they were a very personal taste and not to mine..

One of the 25 Best live albums of all time??? without even hearing this album, I'm gonna say I really don't think so.
    Hey Santa, Pass us that bottle will ya..

+ Reply to Thread