+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 25 best live records of all time

Ooooh im on a roll here,nope never heard this either
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

I happen to like Nico, as well as the Allman Brothers, so 2 out of 3 for me so far. If this had your top 25, would that make it better? I would recommend you create your own list and post them each week and see what happens. You would probably get skewered as much as the composer of this list, point being we all have different tastes and this is just an example of that.
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."

I can only say that given a choice between a studio album or a live one, I'd take the live everytime. I don't mind the occasional bum note, but I do like the imediacy of a live one, even if sometimes you can see when the applaud now notice goes up.

Favourite of all time. Jazz At The Pawnshop.
    Coincidences - Gods way of reminding you that he's here.

Blog Entries

Not really heard much of Nico. will have a hunt for this one too...

Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    I happen to like Nico, as well as the Allman Brothers, so 2 out of 3 for me so far. If this had your top 25, would that make it better? I would recommend you create your own list and post them each week and see what happens. You would probably get skewered as much as the composer of this list, point being we all have different tastes and this is just an example of that.
    While I stand by my previous comment about my view on the list composer maybe deliberately choosing obscure, left field albums in order to appear 'cool', I do think that if this list consisted of live albums we all knew and loved, how would we benefit from that list or how would our musical horizons be expanded? All we'd get is maybe a feeling of smug satisfaction that our personal taste was the same and not have the opportunity to explore new artists and material. Just because you haven't heard these albums or much of the artists doesn't instantly condemn them to the crap category. Maybe those who have criticised the composer's choice so far is not very erudite in music terms and is carrying on with a blinkered approach to 'new' music.

What's entertaining about this for me, actually, is wondering whether or not this guy actually believes this list. The '50 Albums that Changed Wallpaper" list was written by people who believed, but whose knowledge and/or experience seemed limited (evidenced more than anything else by their inclusion of any jazz at all, but, having done so, only choosing 2 or 3 or whatever & ignoring recs far more worthy by virtually any other standard).

Hell, this works on more levels than I realised. But don't worry, there are familiar choices to come. I'll leave it at that.
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."

havent got much to say but i do also like a live recording , i had a couple of artishaw live at various places , also i think again artisahw or some other big clarinet name live at the carnegie for a 25 year reunion gig , sadly these all got lifted many years ago i will be looking for them again soon , but any wy great recordings .
    artie shaw has a great line on the album live at the carnegie hall ., the stage manager askes him how long he will be taking for his intermission , he replys saying as long as i like !

he is the star attraction after all .

in many ways even studio jazz records can often be called live things not to much patching etc ,

i wonder if we could start a thread , terrible edits / patches , i have a few howlers especially classical , records , i know it must be very expensive getting the orchestra to stay and patch , but some edits are terrible , i wil try to find a few .
    regards
    jazzbass

I think gary has made a valid point or three in his post. Ive gone from never having heard the allmans to really digging that album. I will be spotifiyng nico too. Costs nowt to try it out, if i like it then thats a new artist to get into. You will never know unless you try as they say.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Default Week 4

Stand In The Fire--Warren Zevon:

In danger of being lumped in with every other sensitive singer-songwriter in L.A., Warren Zevon made sure the world knew his sensitivity was a little different than most by singing about disturbed individuals who may or may not have been him. And then he made the band play really loud so he’d have to scream his lyrics and sound like a deranged madman.

Here's another that will probably cause a few of you to wonder how this made it on to the list. I really liked WZ and saw him live a number of years back, albeit an all-acoustic show that, while not great, was pretty good overall. What struck me later was how both he and his opening act from that night, Chris Whitley, both died from lung cancer not too many years later; Warren in 2003 and Whitley in 2005.

Getting back to Warren, one music critic/reporter re-called this show from the Roxy, when he was still downing a bottle of scotch on a daily basis, the best live show he had ever seen. I wish I had been there for that one. I respect this writer and had to think it was a great show.
    Last edited by nobody; 1st February 2010 at 16:51.

Didn't he sing werewolves of London?
    I have a Rock and I'm not afraid to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Batty View Post
    Didn't he sing werewolves of London?
    Yep, thats him.

There's a copy of "werewolves" somewhere on the singles shelves.. and I used to have a couple of his albums because I figured that I should check them out, because of "werewolves" but I don't have them anymore, and it's possible that I'll be missing a gem of an album, but like the Nico, it's one I've got no interest in checking out....
    Hey Santa, Pass us that bottle will ya..

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band-Live at the BBC

What about it?

Default Week 5

Well, this week's selection is far from obscure, although this goes back quite a few years I'm sure everyone has heard more than a few of his more popular hits.

Live At The Harlem Square Club, 1963--Sam Cooke
    : This is one of those live albums that really shows a different side of the artist. Whereas Cooke’s commercial recordings were smooth, polite, radio-friendly pop songs, on stage his gospel roots took over and he sang and shredded like a man wired out of his mind. This is his aural equivalent of a five o’clock shadow.

How about that x-overs?

Blog Entries

All this talk about the Allmans and Derek and the Doms is presumably separate from the Derek and the Doms Live at the Filli East set which is absolutely superb in its own right - EC never sounded better. Apparently it's almost straight off the mixing desk and they didn't know they were being recorded.

Can we have a word for Free Live both the original album and the later release on the Song of Yesteryear box set.

Lindsay
    Mama mama look at Uncle Joe, doing the hand jive with Sister Flo.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    Well, this week's selection is far from obscure, although this goes back quite a few years I'm sure everyone has heard more than a few of his more popular hits.

Live At The Harlem Square Club, 1963--Sam Cooke
    : This is one of those live albums that really shows a different side of the artist. Whereas Cooke’s commercial recordings were smooth, polite, radio-friendly pop songs, on stage his gospel roots took over and he sang and shredded like a man wired out of his mind. This is his aural equivalent of a five o’clock shadow.

How about that x-overs?
    For once I'm intrigued enougth to maybee get off my arse ( OK flex the fingers) and check this out.. Sam was about 10 years before my time but of course I know the hits, and I'm not averse to listening to good soul/R&B from the 60's A recommendation that seems to make sense..
    Hey Santa, Pass us that bottle will ya..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cartridgemangler View Post

All I'm gonna add to the Live albums debate is that Quo's Live Double from the Apollo Glasgow better be on the list...
    I was reminiscing with an old mate today about our trip to see the Quo at Cardiff Castle in Summer '76 when they were at their very peak a couple of months before they went up to the Apollo to record the live set. As you say Kenny they screwed up big time afterwards - the whole Rocking all over......thing was when the rot set in - they dropped Junior's Wailing - Alan Lancaster's vocals were always the highlight for me.

I think I've mentioned this before over at the other place but word was that the Balcony actually moved 8" or something such was the crowd reaction during the live album gigs.
    Mama mama look at Uncle Joe, doing the hand jive with Sister Flo.

Quote Originally Posted by cartridgemangler View Post
    that would be very tasty indeed

Not heard much Lyle Lovett. Another of those names that floats around the ether and I never ger round to having a listen.
    Lyle gets the thumbs up for me including the live album. Its well worth seeking out his material.

I recently acquired and much enjoyed the live album Eva Cassidy "Live at Blues Alley". More bluesy than I expected from previous hearings of her popular hits, should have known from the title .
    If music be the food of love, I\'ll have a starter of Bach, Beethoven as the main and Gershwin for afters.

+ Reply to Thread