+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Warped Records

Default Warped Records

Warped records, any way to unwarp them.
    No Star Wars or Trekky wise cracks please.

Next Q is one of a moral nature.

Received a new unsealed (described as sealed) copy of Underworlds Oblivion with Bells this afternoon.
    The record arrived in a shocking state. Was packaged in bubble wrap and a blue poly bag, far from adequate IMO.
    All corners are heavily dog eared, one corner torn. The inners are in the same condition. Although vinyls are mint.
    Fired an angry e-mail off to Amazon re-seller to complain and to get refund/return details (no reply yet).
    My Q is this: I'm itching to listen to this. Would it be wrong of me to play it knowing fine well its going back and will the seller know its been played ?

Last edited by Roksoff; 14th January 2010 at 20:56.

Blog Entries

Warped records. some people have tried putting records between two sheets of glass and warming them, with a weight on top. I've no idea if it works.

if you play the record, the chances are you'll have an 'oops' moment and damage it, according to Sod's law....

Quote Originally Posted by cartridgemangler View Post
    Warped records. some people have tried putting records between two sheets of glass and warming them, with a weight on top. I've no idea if it works.
    Cheers, think I'll live with the warps. Sounds too much like hard work if you ask me.

if you play the record, the chances are you'll have an 'oops' moment and damage it, according to Sod's law....
    Eh....too late, its spinning noo. Couldnae help mesel, you know how it is.
    If I have an "oops" moment then its staying but so far in my limited vinyl journey of a whole 4 months I've only dropped one record.....he says touching wood.
    Learnt me lesson then.

Christ this Underworld vinyl's bloody good.

there is a machine that you can use to remove warps form records, but it's about 1000, bit like a trouser press, which apparently may also work.

Re Oblivion with bells, you can still buy this brand new mate AFAIK, send it back for a refund, take pics of the state it's in and hen send it back with the original packaging gaffa taped together, that'll teach the wanker.

SEnd it back Scott, don't let these unscrupulous vinyl sellers get away with being dishonest. The fact is was unsealed when described as sealed would be sufficient for some collectors.

Yup fire the fooker back at him/her. Jeez it costs pennys for a pukka album mailer, the tight bassa. Maybe its time amazulu upped the postage to 2 quid and insist sellers use a mailer or expect a return up their arses.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    there is a machine that you can use to remove warps form records, but it's about 1000, bit like a trouser press, which apparently may also work.

Re Oblivion with bells, you can still buy this brand new mate AFAIK, send it back for a refund, take pics of the state it's in and hen send it back with the original packaging gaffa taped together, that'll teach the wanker.
    Your right, there's plenty available new.
    The seller described it as new and sealed and I believe it to be new (apart from damage caused by poor packaging) but it wasnt sealed.
    I made a decision a while back if I'm to give this vinyl malarky a fair crack of the whip to only buy new when possible after getting stung once too often with second hand buys, mostly from Amazon cos their gading system sucks for vinyl. I would only consider buying second hand from an honest fair seller who grades accordingly and correctly like how SCIDB does.
    Ok, I get less bang for my buck buying new but the bang is better IMO and I'd rather 10 albums in great condition than 100 shit ones.

I'll take pictures to be on the safe side. I was gonna send it back in one the Burning Shed mailers that arrived today just to show him how vinyl should be packaged but feck him, its going back in the crap he sent it.
    Funny you mention "gaffer taped together" cos that best describes the way he sent it to a T.
    Oi...its not you is it?

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    SEnd it back Scott, don't let these unscrupulous vinyl sellers get away with being dishonest. The fact is was unsealed when described as sealed would be sufficient for some collectors.
    Yep, its going back Gary.
    Didnt think this sort of thing would bug me, never did before with cds.
    But with records its different. Sort of nips yer head thinking if someone else has handled your album that you paid good money for.
    Same for covers. Had loads of damaged cd covers before and although a little miffed initially it soon passes cos who the feck can read them anyway.
    Cant remember the last time I tried to read a cd cover, yes, flicked through but never read. Vinyl covers are different in that you can actually read the print.
    Going totally of track here but in the short time I've played vinyl I can see how its different listening experience with respect to putting an album on, sitting back and enjoying the music whilst appreciating the cover art and reading the text.
    Another thing that has changed is whenever a cd is on I'm inevitably playing poker at the same time with the music coming second making it background noise if anything. Its convenient because one Sit N Go game takes approx 1 hour, same as a cd. I can play one game with little or no interuptions cos i need to change a disc. Cant do that with vinyl when you've to get up half or sometimes quarter way through to turn it over meaning I'm listening more and better with no distractions from concentrating on a game.
    Played vinyl all night tonight and haven't been near a table once.
    The downside is...if I'm not playing I'm no winning but on the other hand I cant lose.

Quote Originally Posted by KB1 View Post
    Yup fire the fooker back at him/her. Jeez it costs pennys for a pukka album mailer, the tight bassa. Maybe its time amazulu upped the postage to 2 quid and insist sellers use a mailer or expect a return up their arses.
    Good idea, I'd pay the extra safe in the knowledge your purchase doesn't arrive looking like the proverbial bag o' shite. But why pay extra when some sellers do send in proper mailers at the same cost as this joker.
    If they can do it then why cant this twonk do it.
    Because, as you say, he's a tight bassa making a skin on the postage.......arggghhhhhhhh

jeez, did I write all that.
    its just a bent cover, get over it man.
    crying over, time for bed.

Remember to tape it before you send it back TDK sa90 are quite good.

For warps get 2 bits of glass and a fat person with no hobbies and a tvv fetish.

I 've been told to do this and leave it in the airing cupboard for a week .

Not actually tried it though
    just kickin back

How about between two granite chopping blocks in the oven on a low heat?

Or between the glass in the sunlight. The only way it can warp then is flat?

Or for the 3 buy it again.
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by KB1 View Post
    You should write Amazon's new T&Cs, lol.

The best album mailers I have found are the crucifix box type as they allow sufficient space for plenty of padding/bubble-wrap and card stiffeners. With the flat envelope type they are fine for single LPs with two card stiffeners but sellers often squash double LPs on 180/200g in them and forego the stiffeners, usually resulting in bashed corners after the PO drops them. The best packaging I have ever received was from Records By Mail in the US. Also, with the choice of packaging, you can tell which sellers love vinyl and which obviously do not. Buying off ebay and Amazon is becoming more of a lottery every day.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    You should write Amazon's new T&Cs, lol.
    Subtle eh ? .
    When i sell owt on the bay etc i always pack stuff to the best of my ability ,bomb proof. Ok you cant odds for the postie being a ham fisted twot but i do my utmost so the buyer gets the goods in the same condition as i sent them out. Thats what i expect in return when i buy something , taint much to ask for is it. Why folk lie about item condition, new/unplayed, mint etc is beyond me (your cdp springs to mind ). Are they stupid and think 'ah well thats that sold'
    Maybe its me ? .
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Got this reply earlier from seller of Underworlds Oblivion with Bells.

Dear Customer.

Thank you for your e-mail.

We do apologise for this inconvenience.

This looks like this has been a picking error within our dispatch warehouse as we do sell new and used stock.

I have issued you a full refund back into your account as requested.

No need returning damaged item.

Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Kindest Regards

EMG

2010/1/14 Scott Robertson < [e-mail address removed]>

Still a bit miffed with damaged cover but heh, its cost me nowt now.....result.

That's a good result because you don't have to incur the expense of the return, which sellers never refund. It will sound even better now.

Great result, seller deserves a mention, often we are too quick to criticise when something goes wrong, but these guys put their hands up to it and did the right thing, I would give them my business.

Had to give him 5 star feedback with comment along the lines of ....

"Had issues with item which seller resolved quickly and amicably. For these reasons 5 stars have been awarded because everyone make mistakes now and then".

couldn't give him negative feedback after telling me to keep it.

I've tried the two sheets of glass trick and it did not work. Rather miffed as the album, Sixteen Tambourines, was not a big hit and it took me ages to get another copy.

Left the record on the deck and bright sunlight got to it. These things catch you out when you live in Scotland.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I've tried the two sheets of glass trick and it did not work. Rather miffed as the album, Sixteen Tambourines, was not a big hit and it took me ages to get another copy.
    Warm the record in front of an electric fire until it goes floppy then stick it between your sheets of glass. I use two large pieces of thick kitchen worktop and two sheets of brown paper so as not to hurt the vinyl. I've had good results with this method but when you warm the vinyl you have to catch it just right or you'll bollox it up.
    Si.

Cheers Chops but you've scared me off now with the "catch it just right or you'll bollox it up" statement.
    Having never tried this before how'd I know when I've caught it just right.

Might look into making a clamping device at work that can got into the oven where I can control the temperature via a thermostat.
    I got plenty of old tat vinyl to experiment with.

Blog Entries

if it really bugs joo ...clamp the record between to sheets of glass and clamp it flat

then gently heat heat heat in front of fire or in oven...i have no idea what temp you need but i would think 100 degrees boiling water might be around the correct temp maybe 110 would be better

or buy a better arm that doesnt really mind warps
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

+ Reply to Thread