+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Warped Records

Or play records by Salvador Dali and it adds to the effect.

Quote Originally Posted by j7 View Post
    if it really bugs joo ...clamp the record between to sheets of glass and clamp it flat

then gently heat heat heat in front of fire or in oven...i have no idea what temp you need but i would think 100 degrees boiling water might be around the correct temp maybe 110 would be better

or buy a better arm that doesnt really mind warps
    I have just this second finished making a clamping device.
    I'll stick up some pics tomorrow when I get home.

If it works Johnnie I'll trade u for an arm.

I would try the oven thing on a 99p jobbie by Max Bygraves from Oxfam. In theory it sounds like it could work but all depends on how hot you need the oven to make the vinyl pliable. Put one in and forget about it and your name will be mud when the mrs opens the door to cook the dinner.

Just do this.

LINK
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Ive made this a sticky

What like Scotty's entire record collection?

Good link Euan.
    Good idea to clean records first so not to bake any contaminatnts into vinyl.
    I'm hoping this clamping device wont be needing such a high temperature as 150 Deg C cos its made of perspex.

Will it work, aint got a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    Ive made this a sticky
    nice one.
    When I saw the title "Warped Records" I thought it was a thread about the Feck Buttons, Red Snapper or Aphex Twin.

Scott

I think you might need some bigger bolts than that mate

Although the principle looks well thought out

I wouldn't put perspex in the oven Scott, at any temperature. Besides, the vinyl will only change its property at 150 or higher by the looks of things. You would simply warm it up a bit.

Edited to add: Just checked what 150 is in real money and it's only gas mark 2 so not too hot.
    Last edited by TIU; 18th January 2010 at 16:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Roksoff View Post
    Will it work
    Well you've put a lot of work into it so I hope so, but I doubt it.

My advice is to start low and increase the temperature slowly until it works. Go too hot just once and the game's over!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post
    Scott

I think you might need some bigger bolts than that mate
    Thats a joke right?

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    I wouldn't put perspex in the oven Scott, at any temperature. Besides, the vinyl will only change its property at 150 or higher by the looks of things. You would simply warm it up a bit.

Edited to add: Just checked what 150 is in real money and it's only gas mark 2 so not too hot.
    Originally I was going to use 10mm thick aluminium plate but we got none in stock at the mo.
    On my way back from the stores I spotted a sheet of Lexan (perspex) and thought I'd give it a go.
    According to the manufacturers Lexan's melting point is 154 Deg C. I hadnt envisaged ever going this hot in the oven. I figured going about 80 C based on I was lead to believe that the centre label is steam pressed on at 90 Deg C.
    My thinking was a combination of moderate temperature and high clamping pressure might be enough to remove warp.

The only way to find out is suck it and see.

Next problem is all the records that are warped are either brand new or older second hand buys that I'd be gutted to lose if it all goes tits up.
    Gonna raid the old mans collection of some dire country and western for some suitable guinea pigs to use in the interests of science.
    I imagine they'll be plenty specimens cos all country and western warped innit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Well you've put a lot of work into it so I hope so, but I doubt it.

My advice is to start low and increase the temperature slowly until it works. Go too hot just once and the game's over!
    Thanks Piggy.
    TBH I didnt put much work into it at all. If you could see it up close you'd see I rushed it.
    Took an hour and half at the expense of my employer.

Also thought about putting the whole arrangement once clamped with record in the dishwasher. The vinyl would never be exposed to the aggressive cleaning detergents because of the 2 rubbers gaskets top and bottom and a combination of hottish wash cycle and hot dry cycle over a long period might be enough to remove warp.

Quote Originally Posted by Roksoff View Post
    Thats a joke right?
    Oh yes LOL

Scott the labels are applied before the record us pressed, they are in either side of the press and the molten vinyl is then pressed with them in situ.

Have to say though your press has a bit of a "Wallace and gromit look" to it

I'm waiting with baited breath to see how this pans out.

On another note does anyone know where I can pick up a pile of plastic lp covers? I'm looking for the soft plastic/polythene ones that have only one seam on the bottom edge.

Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    Have to say though your press has a bit of a "Wallace and gromit look" to it
    Eh....cant decide if thats good or bad.

It was only ever gonna look Heath Robinson due to time constraints.
    Wasnt prepard to spend alot of time on something that I may not use or even work.
    If I do use it and, on the off chance it does work I may make a full blown aluminum one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zygote23 View Post
    Mind you dont go blue Zygote.

Quote Originally Posted by Zygote23 View Post

On another note does anyone know where I can pick up a pile of plastic lp covers? I'm looking for the soft plastic/polythene ones that have only one seam on the bottom edge.

Does that make sense?
    Not to me it doesn't. The sleeves I use are sealed on three sides and are from Tramiki Supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post
    Oh yes LOL
    The bolts are M8, tapped into Lexan.
    M6 (like the one in the centre) has a very fine thread and the pressure I'm thinking of using would strip.

I tried tapping M6 to see how far I could go before it stripped and it wasnt very far.

+ Reply to Thread