+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Warped Records

Excellent post, Sir Roky!

Not everyone is big enough to admit they're a complete fool!!

So, how did the mat have a lump in it? What mat is it? Do you know the Roksan mats work best with the fluffy side up?--This is true, not a wind up.

Also, is there anything else you'd like to share with us? Like, have you worked out how to change the speed yet?

Guy
    Know what's important, go for it, and value it when you get it.

Hehe.
    The mat is a home made rubber jobbie made with rubber gasket material that comes in sheet form.
    Strange its not completely flat, may have to bring this up with our suppliers.
    Yes, I do fancy a Roksan mat but god, they're dear...60 quid .

What.....you can change the speed?
    Zat why my singles sound rubbish.

Oh nice one scott, nice one indeedy. Dunno about yourself but i bloody hate doing engineering stuff for myself,glad to see the back of it once ive finished for the day. But to discover that i'd done it for feck all, jeez i would be suicidal.
    Nay mind it will come in as a chapatti carrier .
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Hate doing engineering stuff for my employer let alone mesel.

Seeing as it's Sufferin' Lass's B'day tomorrow I shall give it to her as a one of its kind flower press made by my very own hands....

Anyone got a spare room going eh...spare.
    Last edited by Roksoff; 20th January 2010 at 20:29. Reason: hehehehe

There now follows a succesion of piss takes. Fate tempt and dont ,spring to mind scott

ATTENTION . Do not try to make any sense of this post unless you can suss it out.
    Last edited by KB1; 20th January 2010 at 20:50. Reason: heeheehee
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Quote Originally Posted by KB1 View Post
    There now follows a succesion of piss takes. Fate tempt and dont ,spring to mind scott
    Nah...thats what the edit buttons for...

Quote Originally Posted by Roksoff View Post
    Nah...thats what the edit buttons for...
    And nicely done too scotty.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Quote Originally Posted by j7 View Post

or buy a better arm that doesnt really mind warps
    Like a PU7 maybe? My PU2 has no problem tracking most warped records. Tracks them so well the results are literally nauseating.

I've tried two plates of glass bithe a brick on top, leaving in direct sunlight or in the oven on very low heat. No luck. I tend to think once the disc is warped the vinyl has been stretched and its all over.

Did have some luck once with a very heavy (60s Columbia) record, put it between two sheets of 7 ply under a stack of boxes weighing about 100kg and left it there for 6 months. That made an improvement.

The earlier mention of the Japanese lp oven - my last reading on that (10 years back) said it was useless at most warps which are pressing warps.

So when the discs were flattened the grooves where stretched into place and that process hugely distorted the grooves - rendering the lp farked when replaying with fairly raw distortion due to stretch marks ..... to purloin a phrase.

I think Its discussed in an Oz/Pacific rim audio forum and the anticipation as the units were bought and owned by posters publicly turned to disappointment within days - quite a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Roksoff View Post
    Warped records, any way to unwarp them.
    No Star Wars or Trekky wise cracks please.

Next Q is one of a moral nature.

Received a new unsealed (described as sealed) copy of Underworlds Oblivion with Bells this afternoon.
    The record arrived in a shocking state. Was packaged in bubble wrap and a blue poly bag, far from adequate IMO.
    All corners are heavily dog eared, one corner torn. The inners are in the same condition. Although vinyls are mint.
    Fired an angry e-mail off to Amazon re-seller to complain and to get refund/return details (no reply yet).
    My Q is this: I'm itching to listen to this. Would it be wrong of me to play it knowing fine well its going back and will the seller know its been played ?

If the warp is very mild leave well alone. If it is a large warp and it affects playing .. if your records fit nicely snug in the rack (mine are kinda wedged together) then warm it with a hair dryer and stick it back in the rack if the warp is really bad. Alternatively warm it gently with a hair dryer and sandwich it between two pieces of plywood or glass and weight it down til it cools ..
    A good earwash may be the cheapest and best upgrade to your system.

+ Reply to Thread