+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ryan Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Roksoff View Post
    Welcome Tarquers.

HMV have Gold on vinyl up for stupid money at the moment. It would be rude not to at that price.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/directQuery.do...3&Ntk=Products
    Just substantiates my thread about outrageous prices: Ashes on Fire: £11.99 with free P&P from HMV and £20 -23 elsewhere PLUS postage.......Says it all somehow.

However, I did notice that the HMV version of Gold is the single album and not the special edition double album (with extra tracks) on clear vinyl that I've managed to acquire from somewhere at "sorry I can't remember" price.
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post
    Just substantiates my thread about outrageous prices: Ashes on Fire: £11.99 with free P&P from HMV and £20 -23 elsewhere PLUS postage.......Says it all somehow.
    Yeah but notice the Ashes on Fire is out of stock (deleted). HMV's favourite trick to pull the customers in. When it was in stock it was £17.99 IIRC.
    There's also 2 editions, the cheaper HMV one is Columbia records and IIRC is a single gatefold. The other dearer edition is Capitol PAX-AM records with a big chunky double gatefold and even chunkier vinyl with audiofool pressing. Its a lovely edition and smacks of quality.

Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post
    However, I did notice that the HMV version of Gold is the single album and not the special edition double album (with extra tracks) on clear vinyl that I've managed to acquire from somewhere at "sorry I can't remember" price.

Got the clear edition for ten quid a while back from Eventually (What) Records a while back.
    If you havent heard Adams's Everybody Knows EP then its a must. One of the best sounding records I've heard and can usually be had for pennies. Its short but stunning with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roksoff View Post
    Yeah but notice the Ashes on Fire is out of stock (deleted). HMV's favourite trick to pull the customers in. When it was in stock it was £17.99 IIRC.
    There's also 2 editions, the cheaper HMV one is Columbia records and IIRC is a single gatefold. The other dearer edition is Capitol PAX-AM records with a big chunky double gatefold and even chunkier vinyl with audiofool pressing. Its a lovely edition and smacks of quality.
    Huh? This is where things become even more confusing. The version on offer here appears to be the Columbia version at £20 plus P&P . Goodness knows what the Capitol version costs from the same retailer, assuming he had it in stock??? Likewise, this one is the Columbia version and even more expensive!!!

I agree with everything else you say about HMV tho Scott (and What Records), but part of the experience is finding out that different versions exist and where the advantages / disadvantages lay.

I personally find most of it an expensive PITA.
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

Yeah, I agree.
    Both those versions you've linked to show the Capitol PAX-AM cover with the High Fedility Recording PAX-AM label on the bottom right hand side..........hmmmm the plot thickens.

IIRC Gordon the Pax-Am recording was pressed in limited numbers, 500 maybe but I could be wrong and mixing that up with another album. The numbers coming into the UK were limited with the majority of these pressings being allocated to the States. Again, I could be wrong on that but it does ring a bell.
    Last edited by Roksoff; 18th January 2012 at 00:48.

Gordon, have you read the description from the Diverse Vinyl link you posted above

Ryan Adams will release his new album Ashes & Fire on PAX-AM/Capitol in the U.S. Adamsí first solo album to be released via a new U.S. arrangement with his own PAX-AM label and EMIís Capitol in the U.S. and Canada, the album was recorded at Sunset Sound Factory in Hollywood and produced by Glyn Johns, renowned for his work with the likes of The Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Clash, The Who and The Rolling StonesĖand whose son Ethan produced previous Ryan Adams albums Heartbreaker, Gold and 29.

Ashes & Fire also features guest turns from Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers keyboardist Benmont Tench as well as Norah Jones who contributes piano and backing vocals on several tracks.

This must be a PAX-AM edition but have no idea why its attributed to Columbia.

http://www.nme.com/news/ryan-adams/61462

I managed to get some for the London shows . They're on sale today .
    just kickin back

Seeing Mr Adams tonight . Feedback from the Gateshead show is good . He's straight not pissed or other substances. Should be a good'un .
    just kickin back

Nice one, that should be good. Cant believe he's sober or straight tho.

He was and brilliant solo acoustic set
    just kickin back

Superb.
    What did he play, old or new stuff or a mixture of both?

Old and new . Acoustic set with guitar and harmonica or just solo piano . Played New York New York as a ballad on the piano . Mesmerising stuff . Also vinyl on sale so bought my daughter Ashes and Fire for her and got Orion and 111/1V for me . You knew it was going to be good . Started with Sweet Carolina and you could hear a pin drop . No idiots shouting out in songs .
    Last edited by Duvet; 24th April 2012 at 11:21.
    just kickin back

Nice.
    Ashes and Fire is in my top ten at the moment.
    Easily the best album Adams has done IMO.

+ Reply to Thread