+ Reply to Thread

Thread: zoolook

Default zoolook

Just re-visited Jean Michel Jarre's -zoolook album, while i have his more accessable albums(oxygene and equinoxe), this is a gem of an album that i've only come to appreciate now, a pure samplers dream played with every 80's legendary synthesiser, scanned through the credits and i find peolpe like Adrian Belew, Laurie Anderson and Marcus Miller.

Side one contains just 2 tracks (Ethnicolour and Diva) and they are top rank, really experimental with layers upon layers of atmosphere and samples of human speech from different parts of the world and animal noises, all weaved together with JMJ's imagination and the other musicians input, this side alone is worth price of the album.

Side two is a more accessable with more flow and shorter tracks, stand out track Zoolookologie and thats about it,the sound throughout is not too shoddy with masses of dynamics, fast incisive transients painted in a quite dark back drop.

If you like artist ranging from say Thomas Dolby to Aphex Twins, give this another go if you have it in your collection, don't know how i've let it gather dust for so long.

Recommended,
    wii.

I have this album. Its a bit of a cracker but then i am a bit of a JMJ fan. Certainly one of his overlooked ones.
    Of what value is an idol carved by a craftsman? Or an image that teaches lies? For the one who makes it trusts in his own creation; he makes idols that cannot speak. (Habakkuk 2:18)

From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” (Matthew 4:17)

Yeah Eddie, i've overlooked it till today.

Blog Entries

I've sold this album, twice... First time I had it on vinyl and bought it on CD. I ended up having to sell a pile of albums to make ends meet as a student, and most of my Tangerine Dream and JMJ collection went. Fortunately, I've since re-acquired pretty much everything I sold, with the exception of the Zoolook CD. In fact I don't have any JMJ on CD. I used to have the jumping-on-the-successful-album-sequel album, aka Oxygene pts 8-14 (IIRC) on cd but I think the ex took that with her.
    Got most of JMJ's earlier stuff on vinyl now, as I only had cassettes recordings of the albums. Oxygene, Equinoxe, Magnetic Fields, China Concerts, Zoolook, Rendez-Vous and Revolutions.
    I don't seem to have the Houston-Lyon Concert which is of that vintage too.

Most albums seem to have an accessible 'pop' track in there, Oxygene has the minor key slow one everyone knows, in fact I'm sure it was released as a single, Part IV I think. Equinoxe Part V is the major third harmony piece that's well known, and perhaps the 'biggie' is Part 4 from Rendez-vous.
    I've got a soft spot for Revolutions. At the time it was a major coup to have secured a lead guitar part from Hank Marvin (London Kid). I think I'm going to have to give that album a spin...

I got just about ever track JMJ released up to 2000. Some are unfortunately only in mp3 format. My first 20 CD purchases in the 80's included every single JMJ CD released up to that time.

Thanks for the info Kenny,very interesting.

Stan, i didn't know JMJ was as prolific as that, as my collection only contains the above mentioned and Redezvous (4 all in),what do you or others recommend to add to my collection?.

wii.

Aero is good. Its one of his later ones but is a goody. Best to avoid the rest of the later ones unless your a die hard fan.
    Of what value is an idol carved by a craftsman? Or an image that teaches lies? For the one who makes it trusts in his own creation; he makes idols that cannot speak. (Habakkuk 2:18)

From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” (Matthew 4:17)

Yeah, Aero is excellent, as is Jarre in Hong Kong.
    Jarre in China is good too. The audio cd is pretty much the same as Hong Kong but the DVD that accompanies China is superb.

Aint got Zoolook, donno why, but I'll get it now.

Ta boys, Aero and Revolution it is then, don't know why but i must have lost interest after getting zoolook, must have been disappointed initially, after all if you're used to Oxygene and Equinoxe, zoolook is not a easy listen is it.

wii.

Try les chants magenetiques (magnetic fields) as well. Also a goody.

Quote Originally Posted by wiicrackpot View Post
    Stan, i didn't know JMJ was as prolific as that, as my collection only contains the above mentioned and Redezvous (4 all in),what do you or others recommend to add to my collection?.
    The oldest recordings I have from him is from 1972. The album is called 'Deserted Palace'. In it you can detect the early experiments of musical excerpts that decades later ended up in more refined form.

Personally it is more the individual tracks than specific albums that I recommend. Les Concert En Chine is however one of the few albums I enjoy listening to in its entirety.

For a mind expanding experience play Zoolook loud in the dark. It's amazing!

Hey Wii!

Zoolook was the last Jarre album that was any good... after that he disappeared up his own backside... but to be fair to the guy (I'm no Jarre expert) I think he had many personal problems, and jeez, when you've created (imho) such classics as Oxygene, Equinox, Magnetic Fields, Concerts In China - as an artist where do you go after that? He should've just retired and gone fishing! btw... I went to the Docklands concert... it was utter sh*te... I was so excited and then bitterly disappointed!

Cheers

ost_

Zoolook is wonderful, really quite a special LP. There's two versions the original pressing starts with 'Zoolook' on side 2, whereas the reissue has 'Zoolookologie', both of these tracks are remixed on the reissue.

The original cut can collect quite a nice sum on Ebay.

I've been a lifelong fan of Jarre, I used to be a rocker and accidentally stumbled across a recording of Oxygene, had never heard anything like it before then.

It's a shame he's not really done anything of note for about 15 years but from Oxygene to Cousteau I think there's few that can match him.

I've seen Jarre twice in concert. The light-show is incredible. The whole place seemed to be covered with lasers. True he hasn't done anything of merit for ages but then maybe there is only so much you can do with synthesisers.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie spaghetti View Post
    maybe there is only so much you can do with synthesisers.
    There's an infinite possibility of what you can do electronically, the charts have been full of electronic music ever since they were invented.

I think Jarre has a bit of an ego, he liked making the huge mega concerts and whatnot, but now he's an older guy and regarded as bit retro, he's unlikely to get a sponsor who'd pay for another huge event so I think he's just being laying low ever since.

He's been hinting on social media for years about a new album 'this year' but the date and concept keeps being pushed back.

I hope he does bring out a new album. The last one he brought out was Aero in 2007 IIRC which was good so he's still got the "knack", even if some of the tunes on it were remixes. Hopefully it will come out on vinyl as well.

He announced 2 new albums the other day, one is a collaboration with other artists such as M83 (he posted a clip on his website) and another solo album.

Will wait and see what happens.

+ Reply to Thread