+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Repairing/rewiring Rega R200 tonearm

What about reducing chatter in the bearings? Mine was from a Planar 3, which supposedly had the better examples, but there's still a little excess. Rega claimed that gravity, plus the weight of cartridge and counterweight, loaded the bearings up, but I disagree with this, as it's very easy to get "chatter" while gently rocking the headshell.

For my sins, I bought a Cardas plug, which fits the hole almost perfectly (nothing a twist of insulating tape and/or the two cable fixing screws won't cure. Can anyone tell me which pins are the ones to use for signal, return and earth? I have some Van damme instrument cable (two inner cores plus screen) that I was going to use to the amp (one inner signal, t'other return and connect the screen at the phono-plug end as Mission used to do with the 774 - the Dual 701 sings beautifully thus done and i can do this neatly )

Sincere apologies Jonny, but paid work is low and income very fragile, otherwise I'd get the arm up to you..

I'm going to have to do the basics myself (no disassembly), adjust the freeplay if at all possible (I've done a few Dual needle point bearings in my time (and even have the special tool), but never an arm such as this. Can the inner screw be adjusted or has the outer one got to be loosed first?
    Last edited by DSJR; 30th July 2009 at 19:34.
    Turntable bodger, NVA builder and NVA's loan scheme administrator

Blog Entries

its best u phone me m8

more questions than answers there !!

pm me for me number

bw
    j7
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

I finally put back everything and it seems ok to me. I gave it a try, not as good as my other tonearms, especially when working with AKG P8E. I guess it is the friction as it does not swing freely like other arms do. I still question its design wherein, the ball bearing is suspended by the arm shaft and not seated on. Any way, I will use this as a study model.
    Question: what is its effective length? Can anyone here advise?

R200 UPDATE

While I'm still awaiting info on its effective length, I once again took it apart.

Anti Skating
    Until I'm comfortable about unmounting and mounting this arm being a study model, I left alone the magnet donuts. I noted that it is almost 1 full turn for the AS knob to come down from peak AS to 1-1.5, so I turned the orange plastic hellicoil about (just about) that much to bring donw the moving donut to assume the AS force, and inserted a piece of the tooth belt snap to hold it in place.

This time,
    I put the ball bearing with the balls to go in first,
    followed by the seat, an inverted T,
    then the locking nut.
    I tightened it with a pair of tweezers, feather light torgue, little by little until the arm wand was sticky on floating, then loosen it little by little, until the wand swang as it should back to the arm rest caused by the AS. It may not be the factory setting, but
    now, the arm could travel thru my demanding LP's and produced no distortion, except one burst with an AKG. This is my 2nd AKG, I don't think it is as good as its name, anyway.

Since I made it, I moved one step further, by replacing the wire connector with mini din plug n socket. The one I can get here is about 0.6mm too large. I mounted the socket plastic shell onto a drill and sanded it down to <12mm. Good looking! A nice reward!

New problems

(1) The rubber and metal tube at the back holding the counter wt rotate as i change the settings. How to affix them?

(2) Hummmmmmmmmmmm

My arm has 2 black ground wires. one thicker n one thinner, for the wand and the base respectively. they are "on", and were soldered to one single point for going to the amp by me. I think I do know about ground looping problem, and I did take measurements. My multi-meter wires have 0.3 ohm and the reading consistently 0.5 ohm, so they are only 0.2 ohm! However, I tried with different cart's, headshells, some are metal, some are plastic with metal plate and some are grounded to one tab. I even put the arm right next to my other arms and/or turntables, the hummmm persisted!!!!! What a funny arm!

What folks would suggest me to do?
    to take apart and check the hairly wires (are they also called "inter-connects?)from the wand?
    and where to buy affordable wires?

p-m

This is the only time it was seriously tested/used.

Blog Entries

might be time you sent it to me for a proper sorting?
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

i would send it mr j7 smart pants , he has all the bits and pieces , also if it doesent work , he is a very nice chap and will keep sorting it out , so that has got to be a good thing .

its his job , and he is good at it ,

just a thought .

jb

Hi all,

I bought this very very cheap, knowing it has AS problem, and I use it as a learning model.
    I thank all, in particular j7, for the info open here for sharing, and that's why I submitted my experience, +/- to be shared as well. Wish I have a deep pocket so I can buy something flawlessly. I'm humbly associated with electrical and electronics, so I wouldn't give up on finding out the hum, grounding loop problem. Hopefull, I have something to share with you all in the future.

Cheers!

p-m

Blog Entries

try conecting a spare wire to your pre amp earth ...and touch the arm tube with it....see if the hum goes away when u do that
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by j7 View Post
    might be time you sent it to me for a proper sorting?
    Yes send it to J7. The gentleman is a genius at sorting tonearm issues, he rewired and sorted my R200 out superbly.

John R.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Hi all,

Just found this forum, yet know the main man via other forums and recommendations...

Very late addition plus some advice please.

I've been fortunate to have been given an R200. I have a brand new shell from when I used to sell these, the bias is fine at the moment and as the arm came from a Planar 3 the bearings are smooth running too.

The internal wires are complete it seems, but the external wire is missing. My fine DIY skills aren't too good (same with my eyesight these days) and I was wondering if there's a cheapish fix available.

Does the entire wiring loom have to be replaced, or can an external one be soldered on to the existing internal wires like before? Rega can't help now and are at great pains to point out the age of the newest samples of this arm...

Regarding toothed belt sources, Panasonic used a toothed belt for some of their videos. I don't know of the pitch of the serrations, but if suitable they may make good donors.....

hi mate
    welcome also ,
    any way i aint sure what problems your arm has got , but i would bet a good pile of beer vouchers that our mr j7 can fix them , actually he is very reasonble , so if i was you i would send it to him for his magic fairy dust , and pay the groats , an dthat from a church mouse muso , i usually try to keep my beer vouchers , but have found these things need a experianced touch or they get well foooked up .

regards to you
    jazzbass

Agreed (sorry for late reply).

I really can't afford to send the arm to Johnnie right now for the full fettling it deserves, but as the bias/anti-skate was working properly still and the bearings were good (the little bit of free play usual for Rega 3 examples) I bought a cardas male plug on eBay, got a mate with steadier hands than me (and more "BT" experience with fine wire soldering) to solder the arm wires to it and when I have 25 spare, I'll get the female plug to go with it and join it to the exit wires I've made up. I can then fit it to the TD125 I have and indulge in a particular springy belt-drive I never had a huge amount of experience with, unlike the hundreds of TD160's and 150's I set up in my time

Here's my deck with arm shoved in the SME slot on the arm-board... I have a new board to drill and properly fit the arm to...

Blog Entries

ohh thats very nice gov!!

nice 1
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

Hi Guys,

Lots of great info here. Like a couple of people here I am using the RB200 to start out on tonearm upgrade/repair. Thanks to the cautionary advice from J7, I've avoided dismantling the bearings. Hopefully the antiskate is still in the right place.

One question though, the long screw fixing the rubber tube and metal tube that hold the counter weight to the arm has a slight bend in it. Before I go making a silly mistake, is it meant to have a bend, or should it be poker straight, as I would expect?

Thanks in advance

Nathan

Blog Entries

think thats called there dynamic balance weight,,,yes i belive its emant to be bent
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Agreed (sorry for late reply).

I really can't afford to send the arm to Johnnie right now for the full fettling it deserves, but as the bias/anti-skate was working properly still and the bearings were good (the little bit of free play usual for Rega 3 examples) I bought a cardas male plug on eBay, got a mate with steadier hands than me (and more "BT" experience with fine wire soldering) to solder the arm wires to it and when I have 25 spare, I'll get the female plug to go with it and join it to the exit wires I've made up. I can then fit it to the TD125 I have and indulge in a particular springy belt-drive I never had a huge amount of experience with, unlike the hundreds of TD160's and 150's I set up in my time

Here's my deck with arm shoved in the SME slot on the arm-board... I have a new board to drill and properly fit the arm to...

That is really nice example Dave. I've always fancied the 125 - it just looks so right.

Regards

John R.

Blog Entries

Originally Posted by rochacullen
    Hi J7,

I went a bit mad and got myself some silver tonearm wire for my Rega R200. The only thing that confuses me is the earth wire. You mention on your audio origami page that you connect the earth wire to the headshell screw, which makes perfect sense. There are three points which the original arm has earth connections: wand, bearing housing, and din. The wand connection is handled by the connection to the headshell screw, did you reinstate the other two?

And if you did, do these other two remain as separate runs to earth, or are all three joined up somehow? The original earth wire was in bad nick, so I don't have a huge amount to go on.

Just another random question, would the earth wire benefit from being thicker than the other four tonearm wires?

Nathan

hi N
    these types of tec questions are best handled on the rega rb200 thread

yes you are correct i also use the base and plug earths all conected as one...it means the arm will never have a hum problem

and no benefit from thick earth no

bw
    j7
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

Thanks for positive comments guys.

I'm finally hoping to get the TD125 up and running next weekend. It has a fantastic main bearing with no obvious "rock" although I haven't yet connected it up to see if the drive electronics are ok. I'd like to get a few months use from it as I was promised a Spacedeck but don't know if this will come to anything.

The bloomin' Dual 701 is still sounding great though, although I'm sure a "proper" turntable will clean things up as much as vinyl can be..

Hi Guys,

I have been thinking about how I am going to earth my R200, and I got on to thinking about why a tonearm needs earthing in the first place. I could not find an explanation on the web. So I thought I would pose the question here: Why does a tonearm need to be earthed?

Is it something to do with inductance?

I am of course still going to earth the arm, I would just like to know what it is I am trying to overcome.

Nathan

Hmmmmmmmm! lets think
    Coincidences - Gods way of reminding you that he's here.

Blog Entries

two reasons

1st is static prevention

and 2nd is the fact that the internal wires use the earth as a screeen to stop RF and hum

bw
    j7
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread