+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Record Cleaning

But Piggy, if you're useing one of these wand type dampners. you're not washing them, you're only playing the discs wet.
    Coincidences - Gods way of reminding you that he's here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    if you're using one of these wand type dampeners, you're not washing them.
    I don't even know what that is.
    I just happen to think your opinion is a general sweeping statement of wrongness

[QUOTE=MrAwfulsounds;74540]

I've found meths works quite well when diluted in a similar proportion.

You shouldn't use Meths as it contains additives i.e. colour, to prevent folk drinking it ( to that it does). these don't evaporate, but sit unseen and cause bother later( science fiction mode on/off).

Mr. Pig we've been talking about a lenco clean, this used to use a fluid filled "wand" to put liquid onto the record surface, or had you forgotten.
    Coincidences - Gods way of reminding you that he's here.

Anyone heard of this cleaner? I was sent a pamphlet.

http://www.audiodesksysteme.de/index.php?kat=10_17_15

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post

Better be good at that price.

It certainly looks to be a well thought out machine, I like the fact that it cleans both sides at once, but at 1950 its not cheap compared to say an Okki Nokki which I use and find adequate if a bit clunky in use.
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

I'd never bothered to look up the price. It would have to be ultra efficient, it's German.

http://www.hannl-vinylcleaner.com/sh...ELB-230-V.html, thats what i would buy money no object, sadly i'll have to slum it with my loricraft.

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    EEEK! D'ya think you could fit a PU7 to it? Looks like it would make a good record deck.

Probably sound better than a (heavily) modified Technics DD at the very least
    Last edited by eddie spaghetti; 6th February 2014 at 19:39.

look at this

Blog Entries

If you have time to spare have a read.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analo...d-cleaner.html
    Si.

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    look at this

I want one!
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Idle buggers. What's wrong with spit, a brillo pad and a bit of elbow grease?

People talk about having a new record after it's been cleaned on a very expensive machine but surely they can't remove deep scratches, which affect the sound. Plus, I'd love to know how these s/h records get in the dire state people find them in.
    Last edited by TIU; 7th February 2014 at 15:45.

Idle buggers. What's wrong with spit, a brillo pad and a bit of elbow grease?

People talk about having a new record after it's been cleaned on a very expensive machine but surely they can't remove deep scratches, which affect the sound. Plus, I'd love to know how these s/h records get in the dire state people find them in.
    No record cleaner will remove scratches. You've got to remember that a lot of people now and in the past didn't really care for their records as much as we tend to. Most just played them on their BSR or cheapo Jap direct drives. As long as they made an acceptable noise without jumping then that was all that mattered. When i was young i cleaned my records with a velvet brush and occasionally anti-static fluid. The ceramic stylus on my BSR deck seemed to play most records ok and it could flip over to play 78s...wow. OK i didn't fling my records about as such and as a result most of the ones i have from my childhood are still in brilliant nick.

I'd love to know how these s/h records get in the dire state people find them in.
    By using "spit, a brillo pad and a bit of elbow grease."
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

So if you find an old record in a charity shop or wherever that hasn't been looked after, only buy it if it just appears dirty. In my experience, records that haven't been cared for are dirty and scratched. I've yet to see a need for even a cheap rcm tbh because if a record is shagged, it's shagged. You can get rid of the dirt and greasy finger prints but it will still click and pop like hell.

So if you find an old record in a charity shop or wherever that hasn't been looked after, only buy it if it just appears dirty. In my experience, records that haven't been cared for are dirty and scratched. I've yet to see a need for even a cheap rcm tbh because if a record is shagged, it's shagged. You can get rid of the dirt and greasy finger prints but it will still click and pop like hell.
    This is true actually. A record with deep seated dirt is very hard to clean. I have had a few records that have been worn even though they look ok. I have a Peter Gabriel (Car) record which looks ok but sounds as if there is sand in the grooves. I had a look at it under j7s magnifying glass and i can see the grooves are packed with lots of tiny white specks. I reckon i will need to take j7s spyglass with me when i am going to buy second hand records in future.

Just go in wearing a monocle, a cloak and a deerstalker hat, declaring, 'I've come to inspect your records.'

Just go in wearing a monocle, a cloak and a deerstalker hat, declaring, 'I've come to inspect your records.'
    lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ESK View Post
    I want one!
    Me too, it probably doesn't clean any better than the Loricraft, but I love how it does it, cool as fuck!

+ Reply to Thread