+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Record Cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    So if you find an old record in a charity shop or wherever that hasn't been looked after, only buy it if it just appears dirty. In my experience, records that haven't been cared for are dirty and scratched. I've yet to see a need for even a cheap rcm tbh because if a record is shagged, it's shagged. You can get rid of the dirt and greasy finger prints but it will still click and pop like hell.
    Good point...but even records that appear clean never are, the colour of the waste fluid is testament to that!

Here's the best way to clean records.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9iFQ78P2V0

I use sandpaper and a scourer

I've been watching videos on flattening warped records in an oven. One of them said the temperature used was 150F or 65C. That doesn't equate to a gas mark so I guess it's the minimum setting on a gas oven.

If you play a record wet, any crap on the record dries hard into the groove (think water stains on an unwashed glass or how food dries to crockery) .. i made the mistake in the 70s of using a lenco clean which played records wet - then had to invest in a cleaning machine to clean all my records to make them playable without the lenco clean. If I could guarantee that the lenco clean would not damage the cartridge I would keep on using it but it does work its way up into the guts eventually and ruin the cartridge (or in the case of my Deccas rusts the armature away). It does dramatically reduce stylus noise thinking about it perhaps a decent MM magnet may work for a long time with a lenco clean. Ideally buy a decent wet cleaning machine like an Okki or Project - make your own liquid there are lots of web postings for recipes. Use Methyl Alcahol (but not on shellac records) as about 20% or less of the mix and get triple distilled water (available online for not a lot of money I got 5 gallons for about 20) .. deionised does not guarantee no contamination whereas my daughter with her biology degree advised me for scientific experiments they would use triple distilled which is free of any contaminates. Sorry to be so wordy but hope this helps.
    A good earwash may be the cheapest and best upgrade to your system.

+ Reply to Thread