+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Interconnects.

Blog Entries

Default Interconnects.

I've bought quite a few ICs over the years as I'm sure we all have but I realised a long time ago that there's a lot of hype and "foo" attached to the cable market. This is only my opinion and others may disagree which is fine by me. I'm not forcing my opinion on others or trying to re educate anyone. Anyway I read an add for some cables marketed by Jack Lawson of Audio Salon fame and bought a pair. They weren't expensive at around 90 but he offered a hand made cable of excellent quality which worked well and in fact I never heard anything sibnificantly better. Mind you I could only afford real world cables like most of us so only got to hear esoteric stuff at dealers and wealthy friends houses etc. I actually bought four pairs of cables from Jack and these served me well for a number of years, indeed I still use them. The turning point came when I found quite by accident a supplier of the same cable and decided to buy some and have a go at making my own. I've made quite a few pairs of these over the years for myself, family and friends so it's my intention to make them available to anyone who would like some decent cables at the right price. A one metre pair would be 35 to forum members plus 12 for every metre above that ie 47 for a two metre pair etc. I'm waiting for a new batch of locking plugs to arrive and then I'll make a few pairs available for dem.

Here's an eight metre pair I made last week. Apolgies for the crap photo

The new plugs are different to these but still good quality locking plugs. I can still fit this type but it adds a not insignificant fifteen quid to the cost of a pair of cables. That's still a cheap cable though.
    Si.

Blog Entries

I can confirm that this cable is indeed very good - I use a 5m pair for my CD player
    "It's ok your comments are noted, so if you want a war you've got one. Watch your back, ya !!!!...." in an email from Marco 3/4/09

Why is your CDP five metres away from your amp?

Blog Entries

Only Kenny can answer that but I'm going to move my amp six metres from my preamp so I need to make some new cables myself.
    Si.

Six metres? If I walked six metres from my hi-fi I'd be in the car park! Do you guys live in mansions?

Blog Entries

Nope, I live in a two up two down terraced house. I've knocked the downstairs through and built a big kitchen at the back. My living/dining room is a bit over 30 feet long
    Si.

Blog Entries

Not enough space on the rack- Having a valve amp on the top shelf, AND a toploader CD player, the CDP is on a wallshelf next to the turntable (also on a wall shelf)
    So I've got long cables to accomodate, until I can find a way of mounting a wall shelf on a window

Well, a man of your calibre..... invent something.

Quote Originally Posted by cartridgemangler View Post
    Not enough space on the rack- Having a valve amp on the top shelf, AND a toploader CD player, the CDP is on a wallshelf next to the turntable (also on a wall shelf)
    So I've got long cables to accomodate, until I can find a way of mounting a wall shelf on a window
    Piece of cake!!! (Although cake might look even more bizarre on your window?)
    How many of Me does it take to change a light bulb? Just one - I hold it and let the World revolve around me.

Blog Entries

'tis double glazed you know...
    "It's ok your comments are noted, so if you want a war you've got one. Watch your back, ya !!!!...." in an email from Marco 3/4/09

Quote Originally Posted by cartridgemangler View Post
    'tis double glazed you know...
    I've never come across a double-glazed wall shelf...?
    How many of Me does it take to change a light bulb? Just one - I hold it and let the World revolve around me.

Stop this it's silly! (and happens to be Chop's cable thread ).

They look good. Is the jacket layline preprinted by the supplier?
    Your Maw

Blog Entries

Yes it is.
    Si.

any 1 meters left /

Blog Entries

I only made two sets and sold both but now I'm back home I can soon make another pair, just say the word. You're welcome to dem a pair if you wish provided you pay the return postage.
    Si.

Si I could do woth another 2 pairs, no rush yesterday will do fine. Drop me a pm with the cost.
    Coincidences - Gods way of reminding you that he's here.

Blog Entries

No problem Dougie.
    Si.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post

Stop this it's silly! (and happens to be Chop's cable thread ).
    Ummmm, double glazed interconnects then?

I made some inters with this cable about 5 years ago but i bought the more expensive silver version of it a few months later and re-used the phono plugs.

The silver version gives a nice smooth and very detailed sound, it's dam good if your system sounds too bright but you need decent plugs and high silver content solder for a proper job.

Just noticed that the price is now for only 1/4m, i paid that per 1/2m at the time! just as well cos i ended up with 10m of the stuff

Maplin link - http://www.maplin.co.uk/pure-silver-screened-cable-6227

+ Reply to Thread