+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Interconnects.

Blog Entries

Here we go Keef, a nice shiny new pair of ICs. I can't unplug them just yet as I'm really enjoying one of Richie's compilations right now but I'll get them of tomorrow morning first thing

Si.

Coolerama Si cheers mate email me at wum then Mr Pay of the Pal will be sorted.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

They look the dogs gonads alright.

Honestly Gary the foatie dosnt do em justice visualy . Nice supple cable anaw, none of this dragging yer gear off the shelf bollox.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Yes that's a pet hate of mine. I mentioned this to Si last week. If I designed a hifi component I would stick the sockets on the side, not at the back. Save all that crouching on all fours twisting yer neck and straining yer eyes to plug something in. I also get anxious about the mess of cables at the back of racks and apparently so does James May of Top Gear fame. I have to try to ignore it or I'd be attempting to tidy it all day every day.

Oh ffs dont go there ! . I'm as fernickity as fook when it comes down to dressing cables. Stand back have a look , nah thats pissing me off, fiddle again have another butchers,lol. Nick one of yer missuses compact mirrors , perfect for seeing what yer plugging the sodding things into. Saves on a cricked neck plus you can rouge yer mush if you are looking a bit peeky.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Blog Entries

This cable never ceases to amaze me. That it still sounds so damn good after all these years must be testament to the quality and construction of the stuff. I'm not one for boutique stuff but I like things well made and fit for purpose and this cable ticks all the boxes for me so much so that I've never had any desire to search for anything better. It's also incredibly inexpensive though it has increased in price slowly over time.
    All my ICs are made from this cable but my soldering technique has evolved over the years to accommodate changes in manufacture of plugs and sockets and of course solder types. The cables I've just finished are soaking in the workshop system and replaced a similar pair but I wasn't prepared for the small but definite increase in performance. I can only put this down to better quality plugs, solder and of course technique. I can see I'm going to have to reterminate all my old ICs when I get the chance
    I did make up a couple of solid silver ICs last year as a bit of an experiment but the jury's still out on that one. Tbh after a system change around they were tossed in a box and have been there ever since so the SharkWire still rules in my system
    Don't worry too much about yer cables Gary, just sit back and listen mate. Life's too short to be bothering about such things. Now where's that James Brown album...........
    Si.

So are those ICs with the valve monos I have here with Monster plugs the same cable as above? And of the two outputs from the pre, does it matter which socket is used, left or right? I didn't fully understand what you were saying about that and it confuses the hell out of me.

Also Si, what's your view on the older Celestion Ditton speakers with this amp set up? I thought an old pair like the 15XR might be ok and give me the headroom these JPWs don't have (they keep distorting on certain tracks) and the Dittons go for reasonable amounts on ebay.
    Last edited by TIU; 11th December 2012 at 12:39.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    So are those ICs with the valve monos I have here with Monster plugs the same cable as above? And of the two outputs from the pre, does it matter which socket is used, left or right? I didn't fully understand what you were saying about that and it confuses the hell out of me.
    No Gary. The Monster cables are manufactured and the cable is quite different. The SharkWire I use is two core and screen. I use the two cores for feed and return and the screen does just that. There's no signal present in the screen unless you plug it in the wrong way round of course. It's not quite that simple but that explanation's good enough I think.

As for the preamp, there are two sets of outputs. They're parallelled ie the two right hand OPs are connected together and so are the left pair. Use any pair you wish or one of each if you feel inclined. If you happen to use both right hand outputs for example then you'll hear the right hand channel through both speakers. You won't cause any harm doing this, it just won't sound right
    Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Chops54 View Post
    No Gary. The Monster cables are manufactured and the cable is quite different. The SharkWire I use is two core and screen. I use the two cores for feed and return and the screen does just that. There's no signal present in the screen unless you plug it in the wrong way round of course. It's not quite that simple but that explanation's good enough I think.

As for the preamp, there are two sets of outputs. They're parallelled ie the two right hand OPs are connected together and so are the left pair. Use any pair you wish or one of each if you feel inclined. If you happen to use both right hand outputs for example then you'll hear the right hand channel through both speakers. You won't cause any harm doing this, it just won't sound right
    There are two outputs, each with a left and right channel. I have the power amp which is connected to the right speaker plugged into the right channel of output 1, and the power amp connected to the left speaker is plugged into output 2 via the left channel. I can't see any other correct way of doing it but it's just that when I was plugging it all in you said something that make me think there was another way, hence my confusion. I've just checked again and am sure I've got it right. It's this type of a seemingly simple procedure that convinces me I'd have made a crap electrical engineer as my brain isn't wired correctly for this type of work. God knows what I'd be like with quadraphonic - I'd just under a mess of tangled cabling.
    Ah, do you mean I could use just the output 1 set?
    Last edited by TIU; 11th December 2012 at 14:12.

Blog Entries

The cable that's plugged into output 2 via the left hand channel should be plugged into output 1 via the left hand channel if you wish to keep things orderly. Electrically it doesn't make any difference as long as the lead going to the right hand amp goes in one of the right hand outputs and the lead to the left amp goes into one of the left hand outputs. The two sets of outputs are there for biamping.
    Si.

But there are two amps Si. I thought biamping means a separate amp feeds each channel and that's what this set up is doing.

Blog Entries

You need four amps for biamping, two per side, one for the tweeter, one for the bass. Two stereo amps are the usual choice but there's nothing wrong with using four monos. Can get expensive though
    Si.

Ah I see, what a palaver with cabling that would be. Anyway, I switched everything off and changed the connection so now just using output 1. What's that burning smell?

Blog Entries

So you're happy now aye?
    Si.

Yes Si, it's fine. So what do you think of the Celestion Dittons? Any experience?

Blog Entries

Tbh I don't know much about the Dittons Gary. I heard a pair of 66s I think many years ago and nothing has stuck in my memory. Didn't they go through a dizzy spell on ebay a while ago? More collectable than listenable I reckon.
    Si.

+ Reply to Thread