+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Plinth

Blog Entries

Default Plinth

I couldn't resist posting a few pics of this Lenco I've just finished for Gary.

I'm going to let Gary fill in the details and I'll post some more pics of the build later on. I have to say it was worth the effort, it sounds terrific, I kid you not
    Si.

Blog Entries

Nice
    goes to show what a nice plinth will do for the aesthetics of something. what's the arm on that deck?

Blog Entries

It's a Linn Basik LVX carrying a Philips 412 cart.
    Last edited by Chops54; 20th June 2010 at 22:27. Reason: dodgy info LOL
    Si.

Oooooooooooooooooh nice Si, I'll provide those details tomorrow some time. I'm shagged now.

That looks nice Gary. Great job you done there Chops.
    Gary, not sure if you are aware but I made some rubber dampner belts/rings to fit around the bottom of Si74's Lenco platter which he was very pleased with. Since then and after seeing Si's another member has requested some which I havent made yet. While I'm at it and if Chops doesnt mind do you want me to make up one or two for your Lenco to try out?

Always had an inkling you were into rubber scotty. I don't mind some rubber round me platter mate. What's the cost involved here?

Are all the Lenco platters the same size?
    The belts I've been making are 6mm deep x 15mm wide. The recess in your platter looks like it might be wider than 15mm. Maybe Chops can confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by Chops54 View Post
    I couldn't resist posting a few pics of this Lenco I've just finished for Gary.

I'm going to let Gary fill in the details and I'll post some more pics of the build later on. I have to say it was worth the effort, it sounds terrific, I kid you not
    Very nice Simon, they would love to see this on the Lenco forum.

Maybe you or Gary could answer this, what is the donar deck?, how did you get the platter to sit so high up to accomodate the new VTA?, chance of a picture of the bearing?, reason i am asking is i've just picked up a GL75 for 21.00 quid and still thinking what i want to do with it, a PTP like Si74's is a possibility.

Ta in advance.

wii.

Hey Wii,

When's the 401/GL75 shootout?

Andrew

(I have to start again as my browser crashed after I'd typed quite a bit and added pic links )

The donor deck, a not so common GL69, fitted with the short arm from a Sansui SR222 mkII tt with a Shure M75ED MM cart. Some bright spark had simply placed this arm into the hole vacated by the original Goldring arm and ignored the fact it has a much shorter mounting distance of 202.5 mm. No amount of fiddling while cursing by me could align the cart correctly. The arm hummed like a vuvuzela so my first job was to attempt to fit an earth wire. That worked for a while until chops sorted it out properly.

I also had to fit a new mains cable, which again has been replaced by chops. Above is my first attempt where I didn't clamp the white outer sheath in the bracket. I did do that little job better in the end.

Only one of the four suspension bosses worked correctly as most had springs missing. This one pictured had a crossed nut so I couldn't do anything with it; it was knackered.

Photos showing the phono cables arrangement for the Sansui arm. It was possible to use any cables as there were sockets mounted internally as shown. The ones pictured are my Ecosse The Conductor with plugs that wouldn't fit through the hole in the plinth, so I butchered, er, drilled a bigger one. You can see from that the extremely high quality of the plinth. No expense spared there then. I also decided to secure the plinth base a little better by fitting small rawl plugs in each corner because the screws went round and round without tightening (yes Si, I did that ).

The next task was to locate a heavy platter and larger bearing for the deck as the platter on the GL69 is much lighter and rings like a bell.

Usually with these Lenco's with the lighter platter, the idler wheel is of the plastic type, pictured left above, which would need upgrading to a metal one to suit the heavier plinth and larger, heavier bearing/spindle. On this GL69 I found the idler wheel to be one of the metal type, the one with five holes in it (not pictured) so I didn't have to source a metal one.

The heavy bearing/spindle from the GL75 and GL78, et al. The mounting arrangement is similar to the decks with lighter platters but the three holes in the top plate don't quite match up so have to be slotted to fit. This was the main reason I sent my 69 to chops - for the platter upgrade.

In a nut shell and I'm sure Simon will want to expand on this part, one of his first jobs was to assess the merits of the Sansui SR222 arm. I had several reservations about it (and had asked Si for his opinion), not least the part about it being mounted in the wrong position. The Shure cart did come with a spherical stylus, the beige N75-6, not usually paired with the M75ED (which commonly has a biradial stylus, the N75ED). This was possibly fitted because the previous owner knew the arm was incorrectly fitted and he had cart geometry problems too but decided not to admit it. Incidentally, I bought this GL69 as a stop-gap for just 23.00 off eBay after selling my Sony DD tt. I was very fortunate to have the donor heavy platter and bearing supplied by Tony from needles 'n' spins. Thanks again Tony.

We quickly decided to jettison the cheap feeling Sansui arm and I bought a Linn LVX off ebay minus its phono cables. They were bought later from J7, a used but perfectly fine set.

I also bought an old and vastly under rated (IMO) Philips 412 mkII MM cart to replace the tired and unfamiliar Shure. Hopefully it's a good match with the Linn arm.

After the replacement arm was sorted out, I had a phone call from Si which went along the lines of: "Hi Gary, I hope you don't mind but I've thrown your plinth away!". The rest, as they say, is history.

The GL69 is not a popular Lenco but I like its layout better because all the controls are in one place - on the right hand side. Unlike the GL75, etc as shown here:

It is also a common belief that all the turntables by Goldring Lenco share the same size top plate and that all the parts such as the arm lifts are interchangeable. That is not the case and as chops found out, the top plate on this 69 is smaller. I think some modification had to be done to the corner of the plate where the arm sits.

That's about it from me. I hope this report helps to kick start Si's business venture and I wish him all the success he deserves. Nothing seems to be too much trouble for him and he's very easy to get along with, and of course, works to a very high standard as this project clearly demonstrates. Thanks Si.
    Last edited by TIU; 21st June 2010 at 15:39. Reason: change pic and correct text

Gary ~ Thanks for the pics, GL69 eh, hence i didn't recognise the top plate,on/off switch and speed layout.
    Just had another look and re-read your build, i got the plastic idler wheel with my GL75 but i dismantle it, cleaned all the congealed crude from the axle and a wee drop of Rocket Fuel, i also cut 4 wee triangles of Vibrodamp pads and stuck them on the recessed part of the wheel, worked really well and spinning like a sweetie, will stick with that as it's working brill.

Andrew ~ Sooner than you think, should be getting my deck in the coming week and a either a DL304, DL103r, MC5000, MC10 or VMS20e will go on it, but i'll give all i've got to have your IO though or si74's Koetsu Black, we'll see how i go.

wii.
    Last edited by wiicrackpot; 21st June 2010 at 16:25. Reason: idler wheel

A wee question to Chops, i really like the look of the build, nice and compact just like an LP12 plinth (my criteria for my 401 plinth), is it possible to machine out the lip of the 75 platter?, would it sound the same?, it would look the dogs danglie's and i might just do the same as Gary and look for a 69 top plate as the layout is perfect.

wii.

Blog Entries

I've been hard at it today stripping out machinery at a local factory so I'm a bit buggered but before I go and get showered I'll answer a few questions.
    The Lenco 69 has a flat chassis unlike the 75 which is recessed. If you fit a 75 bearing and platter to a 69 it raises the playing height sufficiently to mount the arm on the chassis. On a 75 however you can't really raise the platter easily to accomodate the majority of arms so I prefer to mount the arm on the plinth. That gives you the playing height you need. Some turn the deck through 90 degrees, some cut the back corner off. I prefer to cut a strip out off the arm side and weld the edge back on. I can carry out any of these mods if anyone requires and I don't charge an arm or leg either. I'll post some pics later tonight to show the build up of Gary's Lenco.

I have a cut and shut 75 in the workshop and I've decided to build that up in a similar layered plinth but with a 12" arm. More on that soon.
    Si.

Is that the 75 I saw when I was down? If so lads you've got to get really close to see the weld, a lovely job.
    Coincidences - Gods way of reminding you that he's here.

Blog Entries

Aye it is Doug and it's about time I finished it. I've a couple of other things to finish off first and then I'll crack on with it.
    Si.

Oh ya beauty, somebodies changed their tune aboot Lencos :-)
    Glad you have a day job but hurry up an finish it so you can devote time to gid stuff!
    I'm a fucking wanker

Blog Entries

and some Lenco's don't have plinths. This is my G99, half finished. Already the sound is more than acceptable:

It needs slats (of walnut and brushed acrylic) all around, which are damped to control vibrations.

The top pan is bolted to c brackets, which provide adjustment in any plane, and bolted to a 10mm thick acrylic base. This sits on four sorbothane feet. The arm pod is built to the same principles. Once the slats, which form a bries soleil are added, they will be assessed for vibrations, and damped accordingly.

The sound is already far better than a my stock GL75 in a stock wooden plinth.
    Last edited by cat's squirrel; 23rd June 2010 at 11:50.
    cheers.....Bryan

http://qualia.webs.com/

Blog Entries

Well it all depends on what the customer wants. As I enjoy making things I realised I either had to give them away, bin them or break them for the next project or sell them. I chose the last option because it gives me the funds to do another. However not everyone likes my ideas so I decided to build them what they want. It might not be what I really want to do but I still get the pleasure of making it and i still get the same kick out of the customers enjoyment of my product. I do have some radical ideas up my sleeve though and yes this day job is slowing me down somewhat but a grand a week isn't to be sniffed at.

Your deck is quite novel Bryan and I can see where your going with it. It'll be interesting to see it clothed. Will that constitute a plinth I wonder?
    Si.

Blog Entries

I think we could ask "what is a plinth?" its different things to different people or different decks.
    cheers.....Bryan

http://qualia.webs.com/

What is the definition of a plinth? A support, so Bryan's design is a plinth too but not as we know it.

+ Reply to Thread