+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: Plinth

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Whatever has been designed and made to work well, someone comes along with an 'upgrade'.
    I know what you mean:

Jelco12inch.JPG

ChopsArm.JPG

Last edited by WullieD20; 18th March 2014 at 18:41.
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

Lol, that's an adaption and the different counterweight was a necessity. I don't see what improvement the thing I posted makes apart from more weight where it's possibly not needed.

Lol, that's an adaption and the different counterweight was a necessity. I don't see what improvement the thing I posted makes apart from more weight where it's possibly not needed.
    Very true m8y, I just couldn't resist. . . .

No doubt someone wil hear a massive improvement. Funny about mods like you posted notice very few hear a change, but prefer the original, if a change is heard its always better, makes me chuckle.

Blog Entries

I'll see how thick the oil is when it arrives. It may be easier to remove the cap so the oil goes in the right place straight off and I can see the level in the reservoir.

How's the knee today? You've done well to manage the stairs after less than one week.
    I'm doing ok Gary. My leg is black and blue with the bruising and the joint is very stiff but I'm hoping the physio tomorrow will help.

That upgrade you posted, I've read all about it before and you all know how open minded I am but I don't reckon to much to it tbh. I think the idea is to put some more mass into the bearing pillar to give it some damping or something like that. Can't think what else it would be for but as with a lot of these mods it's also made to catch the eye. It sure catches mine as it looks an ugly mess to me.
    Si.

Never been into Engineering but it still interests me. I know British engineers can be the best in the World. Out of curiosity I've been looking at the damping oil/fluid and trying to understand more about it. Several really geeky forums have discussed which type of fluid to use and their various merits. What confuses me is how it's graded or labelled. Some use the cp or cps value, some use the cSt value, which is similar (I think) and others say use 300,000, whatever scale that is. I have little idea what I've bought - 500 cps, or 50 weight, as stated in the listing title. I presume the weight is the W used after engine and gearbox oil. What I don't get is some people saying you need 10,000, 30,000 or 100,000 (10k, 30k or 100k?) for tonearm damping. How 500 cps equates to a number in the tens of thousands beats me. What scale is that and what's the equivalent of 500 cps or 50W? I think the SME oil is listed as 300,000 so what is that in the cps scale? I know the higher the number the denser the viscosity, with some oil having a paste type consistency. Also, some people mix a few oils together to arrive at their own viscosity.

Blog Entries

I don't know much about this subject but I think it's best to start with what Jelco recommend for their arms. Bear in mind that this isn't really a Jelco any more though they did/do make a straight tonearm. However they didn't see the need for damping with their straight arm, those bits being deleted from the straight arm and a round flat plate adorning the area where the oil well used to be. Some experimentation is required but bear in mind that just because we can do it doesn't always mean we need it so start with the 500 grade and use the damping screw to vary the applied damping and do lots of critical listening. I know several users of the 12 inch Jelco and none of them use any damping which echoes my own opinion that little or no damping is preferable to over damping.
    Si.

Thanks Si. It sounds fine as it is so maybe it doesn't need damping. It would help very low compliance carts and/or carts with a stiff suspension to ride warps and irregularities but with most carts their suspension copes fine so do they need it? I don't have any records that are unduly warped or difficult to track. I read somewhere it's pretty easy to remove with a pipette and cotton buds but it would still be a pita to completely clean off, especially inside the narrow cap opening if I drop it in without removing the cap. I should receive the oil by the end of this week so will decide then. In the meantime I still have a lot of records to listen to.

Blog Entries

I'd certainly give it a go. I think a couple of cotton buds will be all that's required to soak up three drops of silicone if you decide you don't need it and the cap is easily removed for cleaning.
    Si.

The oil has arrived. It's quite a thin consistency, about that of washing up liquid. Now I need to find a pipette of some sort or just apply it with a small flat bladed screwdriver as I've done before.

It doesn't appear to have made things worse. I can't detect any difference between the cap fully unscrewed and fully screwed. I think what it is doing is fueling some OCD behaviour in me, I can't leave it alone. I'm going to leave the oil in and set on almost full damping and see how it goes. The deck is still constantly surprising me - it's like I've got a proper hi-end system here - there's so much clarity and presence in everything.
    Last edited by TIU; 20th March 2014 at 15:39.

The deck is still constantly surprising me - it's like I've got a proper hi-end system here - there's so much clarity and presence in everything.
    Well in that case stop buggering around with stuff and just listen to your records. Feck me you will be farting around wi cables next .
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Blog Entries

Aye, do some listening for a while and stop messing. You say you don't hear any difference with daming settings and that may be due to the new tube being very well damped internally whereas the Jelco has non, just a bare tube and oil damping has more effect on the livelier Jelco tube. However once you're well acquainted with the sound of the arm with light oil and you're ready for another play I have two lots of thicker oil if you fancy though I've no idea what the grade of either is. One lot is from Michell Eng so you may be able to enquire, the other I have no idea where it came from. The Michell stuff is real thick, the other less so.
    Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Chops54 View Post
    Michell stuff is real thick, the other less so.
    I rang matey (Steve) up at Michell a few yrs ago and asked the question on what oil they use ,but more to the point, a near as dammit equivalent cos 8 quid for a teaspoon full was taking the piss.

Mobil 1.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Quote Originally Posted by KB1 View Post
    I rang matey (Steve) up at Michell a few yrs ago and asked the question on what oil they use ,but more to the point, a near as dammit equivalent cos 8 quid for a teaspoon full was taking the piss.

Mobil 1.
    That's for their bearing oil though, I'm guessing the stuff Si has is the stuff used in the tonearm lift, it's like a paste rather than a liquid, or perhaps it's damping oil for an older transcriptors arm.

This stuff's supposed to be the very best on the market for damping all sorts of hi-fi components. Apparently you can coat you connections with it and it makes a hell of a difference...

Only around 40-50 a bottle from your local flea-bay dealer. . . . .

snake oil.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    That's for their bearing oil though, I'm guessing the stuff Si has is the stuff used in the tonearm lift, it's like a paste rather than a liquid, or perhaps it's damping oil for an older transcriptors arm.
    Damping for the Transcriptors arm now that's a thought and yes it's silicone damping oil I'm on about. I have three large bottles of the stuff and if you turn one over it takes a few seconds for the stuff to move so it's pretty viscous.
    Si.

Quote Originally Posted by KB1 View Post
    Well in that case stop buggering around with stuff and just listen to your records. Feck me you will be farting around wi cables next .
    I'm not messing, I've just done what chops suggested and now I'm leaving it. Funny you should say the second bit. I've got some Rumour 2 coming which is an 'upgrade' (in price anyway) from the Wireworld Stream 16/2. 2 x 2m runs for the price of 1m. It's not fancily terminated so I'll just do bare wire connections or use standard banana plugs.

15 quid for a metre of wire covered in plastic is about as far as I want to go.

+ Reply to Thread