+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Plinth

Blog Entries

I've not had much time to do anything in the workshop recently but I took a couple of days off at the end of last week and got stuck in to Gary's plinth.
    I'm separating the bearing from the top plate, the idea being to lower the noise transmitted by the motor into the bearing housing. I want to keep the top plate as it identifies the deck and it keeps the speed control etc. Because I've cut a large hole in the top plate where the bearing used to be I've had to machine a new bearing carrier.

I've started cutting out the plywood layers too and the first one can be seen here with the bearing carrier roughly in situ and then the top plate.

More to follow this weekend.
    Si.

Blog Entries

did you hear the motor noise?
    cheers.....Bryan

http://qualia.webs.com/

Yes it goes brum brum.

Wow Si, looking well thought out.

Blog Entries

Thanks Gary, yes it'll be the best one I've built so far and I'm enjoying it too.
    Si.

Blog Entries

Plinth more or less finished. Needs a bit more prep before sealing.

I've made a base from mdf which will be sealed and sprayed black. I'm hoping this will make the plinth look less bulky than it really is.

And one from the top. The plinth still requires some sanding down to remove the cutting marks left by the saw blade.

The top plate has gone to the spray shop for lacquering and I'm going to take a break from the plinth for a while and concentrate on the arm.
    Si.

Love the contrast between the plate and plinth Si. Finished job is going to look the dogs danglies methinks .
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Blog Entries

Aye cheers Keef, glad you like it. That top plate will look belting with a nice shine to it against a nice satin finish on the plinth.
    Si.

That mdf base was a good idea Si , almost gives it a 'floating' look. Kind of softens the blow anaw, instead of a mahoosive wodge of ply sut on the rack , so yeah from my end it works a treat. Jus wundrin , if you have a spare lump of mdf , how a 45 deg chamfer routed around it would look . Leaving a few mm of straight if you get my drift. Would sortof make the base visually drift away under the plinth. Dunno just my brain cell working overtime.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Blog Entries

I did consider softening the edge up a bit Keith but in the end I decided to take the simple option. My woodworking skills aren't much cop tbh and the more complicated I make things the more crap they begin to look lol.
    Si.

Is this the design that you posted the other day with supports for the pan around the bearing?
    The only way round is through the bend...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Audiovista View Post
    Is this the design that you posted the other day with supports for the pan around the bearing?
    That was Squirrel's cad drawing I think. The 69 top plate I've used here has no pan, it's simply a flat plate with a lip about 10mm deep around it. For me it simplifies the plinth because all the speed change gubbins etc stay up in the top plate unlike the 75 etc which has bits that move around under that pan. This also keeps more of the plinth mass because there's much less ply to chop out. Damping will be applied wherever I can get it under the top plate such that the damping medium will be compressed slightly when bolted down to the plinth. I've no idea how this will work but I'm confident this will be an excellent sounding turntable when finished.
    Si.

Crumbs, that'll learn me to post so late. Must'a had too many browser tabs open. I was lookin at Cat's post then wrote in yours.

Regarding this 69 plate: Looks a lot cleaner underneath. Been staring at the 75 for hours and there's not enough room around the bearing to get a grip because the speed changer lever partially cuts right over the bearing foot. I take it on the 69 there's no lever cutting across the bearing?
    Am I right in thinking the B55 is the same top plate as the 69?
    The only way round is through the bend...

Blog Entries

Haha yes that'll teach you! Do you work late or something? I notice you post quite late ( or should that be early) sometimes.

That lever that runs across is for the brake I think. I bin that anyway and everything else that I can dispose of. I use the 16 rpm position to lift the idler wheel away from the platter and I reposition the on/off switch so that operates from the 16 rpm position also. That gets rid of the on/off toggle and associated linkages. There really isn't much left when I've finished with it. I modify the motor as well so it occupies less space and gives me more room to fit the bearing. I'll post a pic of the underside of the top plate once it's built back up.
    Not sure about the B55 but I think it's similar. These seem to be a bit collectable now so I wouldn't strip one of those unless it was a bit of a shagger.
    Si.

I love the idea of a stripped down idler drive TT. All you need is a constantly revolving, silent heavy lump and a stylus at the correct angle and pressure and bob's yer uncle. I'm really looking forward to trying this tt which should rekindle my love of hifi because just lately it's been lacking. Nice work Si.

Blog Entries

Sorry to read you've been at odds with the hifi lately Gary. I hope this deck does it for you mate.

I'm in a rush right now because I'm on the lash tonight but I'll pm you later.
    Si.

Actually Si, I love my old 69 and obviously had a flash of good taste when I bought one over the 75. Can I have it back in its original state please?

What? Well can't you get the bits out of the bin?

Quote Originally Posted by Chops54 View Post
    Sorry to read you've been at odds with the hifi lately Gary. I hope this deck does it for you mate.

I'm in a rush right now because I'm on the lash tonight but I'll pm you later.
    It's not the hifi as such Si, it's a lack of new music to play on it. I'm in a constant state of skintness this year and really feeling the pinch, as a lot of folk are. Buying records seems like a real luxury right now. For example, I had a tax refund of about 500 and it hardly made any difference; it's like money goes nowhere.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Actually Si, I love my old 69 and obviously had a flash of good taste when I bought one over the 75. Can I have it back in its original state please?

What? Well can't you get the bits out of the bin?

I've covered all the bases Gary and yes I know you're only kidding but if you're not happy with this new deck I can return your original deck to you just as it was. The one thing that concerned me was that you might not be comfortable with the sheer physical size of the thing. It's imposing but I've made sure it'll fit on your rack. It also wouldn't be difficult to shorten the plinth and fit your original arm. There's not much I can't do
    Si.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    It's not the hifi as such Si, it's a lack of new music to play on it. I'm in a constant state of skintness this year and really feeling the pinch, as a lot of folk are. Buying records seems like a real luxury right now. For example, I had a tax refund of about 500 and it hardly made any difference; it's like money goes nowhere.
    I know the feeling. I've earned some reasonable money this year and I've not much to show for it. Bailing my kids out was painful though I'm hoping to get that back. Now I'm back on the streets so to speak and after a week I'm starting to panic.

Thinking about buying music etc has anyone considered a record exchange? I've have records which I don't like or want anymore that maybe someone wants to swap for something else and I'm sure that applies to just about all of us. What about putting some of our collection onto cd and swapping it that way? Just a thought.
    Si.

Good idea Si. I couldn't transfer vinyl onto CD but can work with digital formats.

+ Reply to Thread