+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Welcome to the Ambient and Electronic Forum

Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, , United Kingdom

Post imported post

This forum is for discussion of Ambient, Trance and Electronic Music.

You can post about your favourite albums and Artists, recent discoveries, top tens etc here.

Also you can post your recommendations for those unfamiliar with the genre to help them get started.

Post imported post

For those who are unfamilliar with Ambient music,this

http://www.discogs.com/release/13819

is an excellent starting point.

Post imported post

Legiac - Mings Feaner

Release info:

Announcing a new child to the Sending Orbs family has always been a great pleasure of a special kind, but rarely has the unity of great music and artwork brought us to such mountainous spheres of admiration and pride.

Legiac is the well-known and genre-present Funckarma brothers, teaming up with vintage analog synth-guru and professional behind-the-scenes soundtracker, Cor Bolten. This is an album following fully along Sending Orbs’ catalog: 70 minutes of unearthly ambient, heartbreaking pads, punching beats and the insane sound-production Funckarma is so known for. Some adjectives if you want: delicate, enigmatic, distant, pretty, obscure.

The cooperation with Bolten definitely sheds a new daylight on Funckarma’s music. Never before have they released an album with such a natural feeling of completion and unity. Hearing those highly textured ambient scapes and rhythmical interceptions interweave at such a subconscious level, we cannot but say this trio really has something magical and unheard going on.

The collaboration with our in-house designer Jeroen Advocaat (who is on his way to a legendary status in the cover-art world) yields one of his finest artworks he has done for Sending Orbs: the painting of an intercepted orb, an artifact made out of organic and mechanical material, all in great detail, over a striking 8 page, thick-paper booklet that could very much be sold as a piece of art by itself.

Legiac is produced by Cor Bolten, Don Funcken and Roel Funcken.

http://sendingorbs.com/content/artis...ac/mingsfeaner

www.myspace.com/legiac

'tastic.
    Attached Images

Post imported post

Dr.Atmo,Pino and Wildjamin'

Spinning the noo.

Some reviews

http://www.2350.org/ps52/

Post imported post

Paul Ellis - A Sacred Ordinary

Synthesist Paul Ellis has come to prominence lately with a string of impressive and acclaimed Berlin School sequencer albums. I'm the first to admit that Berlin School doesn't punch my buttons these days, but, as with the impressive Life Sequence by Steve Roach (which Ellis appeared on), I'm open to modern takes on the classic form, provided they sound fresh and new, rather than be rehashes of past triumphs from thirty-odd years ago. Ellis, a former member of Dweller at the Threshold, seems to have moved past pure sequencing in favor of space music featuring it rather than being stylistically ruled by it. Somewhere at the intersection of ambient synthscapes and entrancing sequences lies The Sacred Ordinary, Ellis's latest record. The Sacred Ordinary begins dramatically with "Icon," a ticking clock of mid-tempo sequencing that cascades prettily and progressively, with a deep low end punctuating the crystalline shimmer. A synth flute solos in tune with the sequencing, bringing a sylvan theme to the proceedings. This is dramatic electronic music, paced well and with ever-changing sequences that feel like gentle showers brushing over the listener's body. Ellis is careful to intersperse the track with many random tones and sounds to keep the listener actively involved--it's a strength that prevents the sequencing from getting too repetitive. "Shining" starts with low, deep gurgling, eventually cut with a slow sequence and phased synth. The sequence begins to build into a more complex pattern as notes are added. A second sequence arrives, this one more frenetic, and the tone is set. More and more sequences are built upon the track until we are placed straight in the middle of an artery; we become a blood vessel furiously tumbling through the circulatory system. Any ambient tendencies from the first track are tossed out the window, as full on sequenced, phasing patterns shift and morph over eleven minutes. The next track, "The Sacred Ordinary," is an almost jarring about face, presenting a gorgeous nine-minute ambient drift piece. Fans of Vir Unis's drift work will especially enjoy this piece, which could find a artistic brother in VU's The Drift Inside. Ellis proves to be no slouch in creating evocative soundscapes; this is a slowly gliding journey, and one that I was happy to listen to on repeat for a while. A surprisingly ambient highlight. "Blue Heron" sounds almost jazzy with a repeated synth phrase met by vibraphone sounds and scattered synth noises. It's times like this that I wish I had a musical vocabulary to describe what the separate elements are doing, because I'm sure it's called something in particular. Needless to say, all the elements build to a tuneful melange of different synth passages. "The Still Center of a Turning World" has an Eastern flavor as if one is walking through a bustling bazaar run by mechanical beings. This song reminds me very much of Roedelius's musical sensibility, and is a light confection of progressive synthwork. "Oresence" begins low and deep, but explodes into dynamic sequencing with a refreshing Indian tonality provided by synths that sound like processed sitar or sarod. The sequences and more traditional sounding instruments (though altered and virtual) don't quite fit, but this is an interesting experiment in East meets West that surprises at every turn. "Cascade" brings harmonic singing into the milieu--always a wonderful sound--and effectively an introduction to Ellis's sacred sequencing which bubbles along as intense as the vocals. The synths are psychedelic and progressive here, reminding me more than a little of Tangerine Dream, though in a far more modern context. The sequencing gets more intense by track's end, eventually hushing into near silence. "After All" returns us to ambience, with an Eno-esque zone of stillness. This is a great, though short, track with melancholy synth that echoes Harold Budd or James Johnson. Gorgeous and a highlight of the disc. "Turning Towards the Sun" is more active, but pursues a similarly meditative mien, with trance synths straight out of the Fax catalog mixed with the flute from "Icon." Finally, "Slowly Beating Wings" begins with a lovely mellotron and opens out into an infinite vista of electronic arpeggios and synth harmonies. This is the most dramatic track on the album, bringing thoughts of ancient earth, early humans, and bright sunlight over desert.
    Ellis makes an intrepid attempt to bring the spiritual into sequencing, with varying results on The Sacred Ordinary. While the successful tracks are active and interesting, the spiritual flavor often seems to be no more than another instrument or sound in Ellis's arsenal. Naturally, the sequences tend to overpower other characteristics on the album, which is fine for work of this type, but seems to lessen the impact of elements like the harmonic singing on "Cascade." That said, the sequences and synthwork here are top notch--sure to please any fan of modern synthesis. While The Sacred Ordinary is not quite a seamless blend of ambient and Berlin School, there are more than enough touches of each to please fans of both styles (though the tone of the album tends to favor sequencing over atmospherics). For my own part, I'd love to see Ellis branch into pure ambience--the few tracks in this style here are a fine taster of what an album of that nature would be like. As with the previously mentioned Life Sequence, there is little on The Sacred Ordinary that will convince naysayers of the Berlin School to change their opinions. However, they'd also be missing a very entertaining and diverse work that often manages to transcend the boundaries of its genre as it attempts to reach ever higher into the stratosphere.
    Reviewed by Brian Bieniowski

Attached Images

Post imported post

Robert Rich - Below Zero review

"Below Zero" tells a story of infinite distance, inhuman scale and deep time. It ranks among Rich's most foreboding and expansive works, with its vast surrealist soundscapes, clouds of shifting metallic overtones, indefinable mutations and sinuous threads of melting sonorities. It also represents a significant technical achievement, using sound design techniques that range from phase vocoding and granular synthesis, to open-loop feedback networks and chaotic electro-acoustic systems. Yet somehow within this isolated landscape of unfamiliar sounds, there shines the intense and melancholy sort of beauty that permeates Rich's singular sonic universe.

Robert Rich has pioneered new worlds of ambient and electronic music for two decades. He studied computer music at Stanford's prestigious CCRMA while earning a degree in Psychology. In 1982 he first performed his legendary Sleep Concerts, all-night shows meant to sustain hypnogogic states in sleeping audiences. His 7-hour DVD Somnium may be the longest continuous piece of music ever released on any format. Rich has recorded two dozen influential albums, ranging from the slow deep ambience of Trances/Drones, to the electro-acoustic world music of Rainforest and Seven Veils, to shadowy cinematic excursions like Stalker and Bestiary. Rich has worked with Steve Roach, Lustmord, Graeme Revelle, David Torn, Alio Die, Paul Haslinger, Ian Boddy, Vidna Obmana, and others. His group, Amoeba, explores atmospheric songcraft on their two CDs, Watchful and Pivot.

"The deep, ethereal soundscapes that Robert Rich creates don't engage you as much as they engulf you. Shimmering waves of sound pour from the speakers, transforming both space and time." Keyboard Magazine

All of Rich's CDs are available directly from http://www.robertrich.com
    Attached Images

Post imported post

Solar Fields - Leaving Home

Magnus Birgersson from Gøteborg, Sweden is one of the living chill-legends... Yeah, pretty much everything he has released has been solid gold – the previous two SL albums + the H.U.V.A. Network album + all the amazing compilation tracks… This guy is the ambient armadillo! And who else than Solar Fields could pull off a stunt like releasing two full length albums simultaneously!? Yeah – this is the ‘regular’ album whereas Extended is more of a concept thing (review to follow shortly!)… As mentioned above, Solar Fields has yet to let me down, and I’ve been looking forward to this album for a long time… Released on my fav’e chill-label Ultimae, this *has* to be good… Let’s find out…

Unique is the keyword here – this album is totally unique… The level of experimentation is unparalleled and style wise, this crosses back and forth between more genres than I care to count… But it’s still unmistakable Solar Fields down to the very last second… You wanna know what it really is? … It’s talent! The vast composing talents of Mr. Magnus Birgersson – the ambient armadillo! This is by far his most mature album – it’s definitely not as easily accessible as some of his previous instalments, but what is lacks in ‘easy listening’ it makes up for in fertility… This album is ripe of the bone, and will serve the listeners for light years to come… Give the extrovert parts some time to grow on you, and I’m sure they’ll come around… Most of them have for me!

As always with Ultimae, everything is top-drawer material here. From the beautiful artwork, down to the very last well-mastered second of audio-bliss… A safe buy for any fan of experimental ambient seasoned with nonconformist musical warps, twists and turns… Audio anarchy! Now stop reading, and go order this album… It’s amazing! … Enjoy!

Favourites: 2, 3(!!), 7(!), 9, 10(!!), 11(!)
    Reticulum_Flux - 30-May-06 02:23 AM
    A pretty amazing album. Nothing else out there quite sounds like Solar Fields' style. Spacey ambience with guitar strings often added in and occasionally even distant vocals. The end result is very pleasing and I can't think of any other chill album that recreates the images this one provokes.

Some favorites of mine are Home, Time Slide and Insum. Great stuff. Make sure you check out his Extended album if you like Leaving Home.. its the sister album to it so to speak.

kingwiltsu - 03-Jul-06 05:03 AM
    Solar Fields has matured a great deal since his last release Blue Moon Station in 2003. This album is full of fantastic mildly experimental floating chillout tracks. It's not really ambient in the true meaning of the word, but I guess you can call this ambient if you want.
    I enjoy every moment of this album and this really states that nothing bad can come out from Ultimae.
    Just wonderful fairytale-like album that should be found on every downtempo fans collection.
    Attached Images

Post imported post

Chilling Matenda - Mediteran

1. Good old sun

2. No comprendo

3. Wonderful life

4. Its a long time ago

5. Mediteran

6. Arpeggio grazioso

7. Luckyx smile

8. Adio raj

9. Flashback

10. Need you
    [align=justify]So now its time to enjoy the mediterranean rides with Chilling Matenda.[/align] [align=justify]Chilling Matenda started as an experiment project of downbeat and ambient tunes produced by Denis Matenda.

After the huge positive response all over, denis decided to start producing the second one immediately. This time the album will be released on the new label Global Phonehead Records.

The label ambition is not to be locked in to one genre but to release nice quality tracks that can be heard and enjoyed everywhere. Denis Matenda is known by his subtle and atmospheric sounds, which always makes people in a good mood. He has a long history of releases on many different labels and some of them cult labels such as transient, spirit zone and spiral trax. His production skills get better all the time that also shows in the album mediteran. The mediterranean has inspired so many people, including Denis, that's why he dedicates ten smooth tracks that celebrate this magic area.[/align] Style:Ambient
    Released:May. 2005/21

+ Reply to Thread