+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wynton Marsalis Vinyl

Default Wynton Marsalis Vinyl

Well I picked up a Wynton Marsalis Vinyl and getting in to it well like this album
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ktzL8HbYiw
    I have been looking to get into some good bluesy jazz and this album hits the notes well but as a beginner in jazz can anyone recommend any other similar Albums of his and of course other artists no mono stuff modern jazz/blues Quality Recording my likes drums bass piano sax trumpet
    The Blues Man
    Thorens TD160B Mk II Rega RB251/G1042 Rega Planner Three AO Rega RB250/Ortofon 2M blue.Wad Custom Valve Phono 3 CD Players Arcam Alpha six Marants 52SE Marants 63SE.

Quote Originally Posted by Col View Post
    Well I picked up a Wynton Marsalis Vinyl and getting in to it well like this album
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ktzL8HbYiw
    I have been looking to get into some good bluesy jazz and this album hits the notes well but as a beginner in jazz can anyone recommend any other similar Albums of his and of course other artists no mono stuff modern jazz/blues Quality Recording my likes drums bass piano sax trumpet
    Come on then Chaps I am in need of some new sounds on vinyl all your suggestions recommendation are all welcome
    The Blues Man
    Thorens TD160B Mk II Rega RB251/G1042 Rega Planner Three AO Rega RB250/Ortofon 2M blue.Wad Custom Valve Phono 3 CD Players Arcam Alpha six Marants 52SE Marants 63SE.

Well Jazzbass is really your man for this but I'll have a go.

I like the Oscar Peterson stuff and wholeheartedly recommend Night Train.

Some others I like are;

Count Basie at Newport
    Count Basie April In Paris
    Oscar Peterson Live from Chicago

and its a bit jazz lite but the Tal Wilkenfeld album Transformation is pleasant enough

While most of the above are generally jazz, the Oscar Peterson stuff has some of the blues in it.

Try get them on Verve.

Euan.
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Hi ESK
    Thanks for your pointers
    As a young lad my introduction to jazz was my brother and his dansette Box Record player playing mono vinyl like Coltrane /Gillespie.and others So problay explains why I have only got one CD of Dizzy Gillespie’s Best of Albums and a CD of John Coltrane Spiritual this album is a bit too deep for me
    A more bluesy stuff I have on CD and like most of its Sonny Rollins sax Colossus and Newks Time and of course the one and only Jazz vinyl I have and like Wynston Marsalis so I guess I am looking for good vinyl Crossing over the blues onto Jazz with a hint of Ella Fitzgerald type vocals
    Attached Images
    The Blues Man

Okay how about some Sarah Vaughan or Billie Holiday then?
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Or Dee Dee Bridgewater. She did an Ella covers album that won awards and appeared on a few Stanley Clarke albums.

Thanks ESK
    Time to check out some YouTube clips on these artists I think
    The Blues Man

hiya well i have just gotten in from a gig , foooking terrible , but i will tell you later,
    any way

the you tube is great to get your bearings for the jazz, but yes without a doubt i have a biiig soft spot for all things wynton marsallis, also his brother is a great sax player, in fact wyntons dad is a great piano player as well , so just ppile in to almost all the wynton things, there are one or two recordings that i have that might get too much for a novice, but you will dig them later,
    please do try to get the julian aurgaliess (spelling). british sax player brilliant , with the trrinity guildhall ensemble , really good music also has a some of my old mates on it ,

i would also recomend listenning if you can to the many radio shows , for jazz , evevn th escottish one has some good stuff the scottish one used to be terribl e, but it has got its act together.

also dontforget , mr countbasie , probably the atomic reord,

lots and lots out there , prehaps some members in hear will forward one or two of my mix ups to you , sadly i have non as i lost my putter a while ago.

i have always added a couple of jazz tracks to my mix ups.

regards
    jazzbass.

if you pm me i will send you a couple of my old bands tracks , to listen too , very basic live recordings.

regards

also do look upthte personell on the records and get out ther and buy the various guys cds.

the new released old loose tubes

Hi jazzbass
    Hope the gig wasn’t that bad also Thank you for the pointers
    Yep have to say I liked the Wynston Marsalis Album on first play will get more off him dam good Oxfam buy for £3.99
    And thanks again I will PM you tomorrow
    Regards
    Col
    The Blues Man

Got to agree with Jazz about Julian. We saw him as a front act in Dunfermline a while ago, in fact Wii was there as well. Brilliant, he should have been the main act, but ther you go.
    Coincidences - Gods way of reminding you that he's here.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbass View Post
    hiya well i have just gotten in from a gig , foooking terrible , but i will tell you later,
    any way

the you tube is great to get your bearings for the jazz, but yes without a doubt i have a biiig soft spot for all things wynton marsallis, also his brother is a great sax player, in fact wyntons dad is a great piano player as well , so just ppile in to almost all the wynton things, there are one or two recordings that i have that might get too much for a novice, but you will dig them later,
    please do try to get the julian aurgaliess (spelling). british sax player brilliant , with the trrinity guildhall ensemble , really good music also has a some of my old mates on it ,

i would also recomend listenning if you can to the many radio shows , for jazz , evevn th escottish one has some good stuff the scottish one used to be terribl e, but it has got its act together.

also dontforget , mr countbasie , probably the atomic reord,

lots and lots out there , prehaps some members in hear will forward one or two of my mix ups to you , sadly i have non as i lost my putter a while ago.

i have always added a couple of jazz tracks to my mix ups.

regards
    jazzbass.

if you pm me i will send you a couple of my old bands tracks , to listen too , very basic live recordings.

regards

also do look upthte personell on the records and get out ther and buy the various guys cds.

the new released old loose tubes
    Hi Jazzbass
    You Have PM
    The Blues Man

Hi All
    Well just had a pm from Jazzbass offing me a chance to hear some of his old bands tracks he will send to me and has also recommended me to post to ask other members if they would help me broaden my experiences as a newbie to the Jazz World in letting me have a copy of some off his various mix ups he did so if anyone can help with this I would be grateful
    The Blues Man

Hi All
    Well just had a pm from Jazzbass offing me a chance to hear some of his old bands tracks he will send to me and has also recommended me to post to ask other members if they would help me broaden my experiences as a newbie to the Jazz World in letting me have a copy of some off his various mix ups he did so if anyone can help with this I would be grateful
    well Still a newbie To jazz world so would still value any updates on Jazzbas,s Mix ups if anyone wants to help with a copy
    Thank you
    Col
    The Blues Man

Cool nice tune new to me

well Still a newbie To jazz world so would still value any updates on Jazzbas,s Mix ups if anyone wants to help with a copy
    Thank you
    Col
    well following on , i found this link on the you tube,
    a nice player and good musicin , i am trying to get a recording or two ,
    but also i would say if this was a much better sound it would nicely support my argument , about keeping it simple for recordings, any way
    seem to be talking to my self,

so

pittsburgh jazz:jimmy pounder- summer time.

if this was recorded on a good set of stereo mics at the front, it would sound great , but this is just a opinion.

i wonder of any modern company apart from mr russ andrews and his iso mike recordings would just consider this simple style of recordings, . i would buy them.

regards
    jazzbass

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbass View Post
    well following on , i found this link on the you tube,
    a nice player and good musicin , i am trying to get a recording or two ,
    but also i would say if this was a much better sound it would nicely support my argument , about keeping it simple for recordings, any way
    seem to be talking to my self,

so

pittsburgh jazz:jimmy pounder- summer time.

if this was recorded on a good set of stereo mics at the front, it would sound great , but this is just a opinion.

i wonder of any modern company apart from mr russ andrews and his iso mike recordings would just consider this simple style of recordings, . i would buy them.

regards
    jazzbass
    Hi Jazzbass
    I also agree with the mic-ing method
    Thanks for the link but not shure about it
    I seem to prefer this Stanley Jordan All Blues link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a-aq1UMcQw&feature=related
    The Blues Man

Still looking for ideas :- Maynard Ferguson, Chuck Mangione, Don Cherry, Charlie Byrd, Something in there should suit. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Still looking for ideas :- Maynard Ferguson, Chuck Mangione, Don Cherry, Charlie Byrd, Something in there should suit. Have fun.
    Magic sir thanks for all the names i Will check them out
    Cheers
    Last edited by Col; 11th December 2010 at 15:30.
    The Blues Man

See if you can find this. Its lovely stuff.

Got to agree with you, I got my copy second hand, cost next to nuthin'. You could say I got it for a song.

Me too! £1 in a bargain bin.

+ Reply to Thread