+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Active MC Phonostage, or MM+Steup?

Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post
    Is it a Sunilda?????? C'mon spill........
    Alba, or maybe Amstrad

Its Bush isnt it?
    Do to others as you would have them do to you. (Luke 6:31)

From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” (Matthew 4:17)

Quote Originally Posted by eddie spaghetti View Post
    Its Bush isnt it?

don't be silly, Amstrad is much more high end than Bush, thats for chavs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    don't be silly, Amstrad is much more high end than Bush, thats for chavs.
    Get serious FFS. I suggested a high quality valve multi purpose phono stage with an excellent reputation, but if you think an Amstrad will compliment your mediocre front end then who am I to argue?

You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

Never heard of it Gordon, just googled it, seen it's German, that's put me right off, most of the German stuff I've heard hasn't been to my taste. But that one must have passed me by. Anyway I thought I told you what I fancied?

But that one must have passed me by. Anyway I thought I told you what I fancied?
    I know, I know. . . . . . . . . . . . an Amst***!!!!!!

Have you had the chance to investigate the new Trilogy, which appears to have virtually all of the attributes of the Na***......??

Surprised you hadn't come across the Sunilda tho..... Seems they used to be retailed by RPM Audio, but can't find any link to them any more(??), not that it matters IAC.
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

I now have a hazy recollection of Sunilda, but thought it might have been one of the ropy Chinese variety, as to the trilogy, well it reviews well, but that means bugger all, nah got me heart set on ***** never heard a bad sounding product from them, and the build and attention to detail is staggering.

I'm reliably informed that step-ups, however good, are a compromise as they're trying to turn one thing into something else - stepping up the voltage needs some current, however small, as you can't get owt for nowt. I'm sure you'll have fun messing around with different boxes, but will it actually "improve" the (often band-limited and distorted) music coming off the plastic?

Have you thought of Tron? I've heard their phono stage in isolation and it seems very good. The price is Top End for the UK, but beer/wine money in the far eastern markets it also sells in and apparently it compares well with another phono stage (don't know the name) at £12,000. In any case, Graham Tricker seems to ba one of the good guys.
    Turntable bodger, NVA builder and NVA's loan scheme administrator

Hi Dave, yes is suppose thats been my findings, yes the Tron looks like a corcker, but i have my heart set on something else, retails around £4.5k so not too far from the Tron, but it's something i want to try first, i still have the rhea, and i'll need to sell it first to help fund the new one, and when it sells i'll have to slum it with the trannie and mm stage until i can secure the model i want. And yes GT seems to be one of the good guys, not so many about these days

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I'm reliably informed that step-ups, however good, are a compromise as they're trying to turn one thing into something else - stepping up the voltage needs some current, however small, as you can't get owt for nowt. I'm sure you'll have fun messing around with different boxes, but will it actually "improve" the (often band-limited and distorted) music coming off the plastic?
    The counter argument is that there is plenty of current to spare but not enough voltage. SS requires massive feedback to get the required gain quiet enough to be useful. Transformers have no such worries. IMO it all depends on implementation as I have heard good phono systems with SS and transformer mc stages.

Haven't heard the Tron.

When will the "other" contender be revealed Prof?

AKY I'm not trying to be deliberately coy about my choice, there's commercial reasons why I can't say, but as soon as it happens I'll let you guys know.

Blog Entries

Well that's the idea Dave, you need voltage to drive a phono stage, something a moving magnet cart naturally has. A low output moving coil on the other hand has little voltage but plenty of current, so what better than a suitable transformer to convert that current into a decent usable voltage big enough to drive a decent phono stage. Job done and a transformer is passive, is one component instead of the many required to do the same job and is also free from artifacts derived from connection to our mains supply.
    Si.

Si/AKY The step up was good, very good, but I feel I can get better, or should I say more to my taste, great idea if you are going from mm to mc and have a decent mm phono already, much cheaper to step up, and probably better than the budget spent on a new active stage IYSWIM

Blog Entries

I hear you Paul and my post was merely an explanation of how it worked. Your quite right that many of us would choose suitable transformers to upgrade a good MM phono stage especially those of us into more classic hifi where a transformer seems to fit the bill so well. I'm enjoying the thread though and I'm very interested to see where this takes you.
    Si.

not related
    but just a aside!!!!
    i am at the moment and for the forseable future , with out any serious listennig rig, any way i got a busted gheto blaster in the kitchen at the moment,for me radio progrrammes.

a while ago a very helpfullchap in hear sold me a musical fidelity phono stage i didnt really in truth have enough beer vouchers , but he asked me how many beer voucher i was willing to spend , and just helped me out , a very nice thing,, a mint thing m the new shape so i have been using this and enjoying it very much , but as mentioned i am in a no music sort of zone at the moment so i have crammed a 1980 sony receiver in to a space and am playing my cds via my cans, and got round to putting my old record spinner on , so i just hooked the thing up via the phono stage in the sony , as a stopp gap , well its actually not a too bad phono stage , not high class but certainly easy to listen to ,so i got some records spinnig again finally,

regards to you all .
    jb .

I would probably have the Rhea if i hadnt just recently upgraded. Interesting thread. Wonder if transformers would work with the suggy?
    Do to others as you would have them do to you. (Luke 6:31)

From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” (Matthew 4:17)

Si/AKY The step up was good, very good, but I feel I can get better, or should I say more to my taste, great idea if you are going from mm to mc and have a decent mm phono already, much cheaper to step up, and probably better than the budget spent on a new active stage IYSWIM
    Prof, I still think you have not thoroughly explored the transformer option, but, as you say, you do not want to mess about with loading resistors, primary and secondary windings, etc. That path leads to DIY/custom gear and for obvious reasons is not the path you need to follow. I, on the other hand, am headed down that route, not because I am a hard core DIYer, but because the crazy circuits that attract me are so expensive in a commercial setting that there really is not another option.

Have you got anything that is not too expensive, has about 2V output, output impedance <600 ohm, has around 45-50 dB of gain, and no capacitor at the output? I'm using Audio Note gear just to give you a sense of my sonic priorities.

Andrew, I may have what you are after in a technical sense, but I doubt we'd have one at what you'd consider reasonable have you looked at our website?

Does such a product exist in the commercial world. I admire you diy guys, if I had the skill or time I'd be with you, I have suggested the diy option for customers numerous times, but it's only the lucky few with the skills an resources that can pull it off convincingly, and I admire you all.
    Last edited by The Professor; 24th November 2010 at 23:06.

Prof, the Audio Note M9 and the Allnic H3000 won't pass the finance committee, so I haven't bothered to look at the specs. As for the less expensive end, strangely enough, the manufacturers don't post the schematics for me to see if they fit the requirements.

I'm a reluctant DIY'er as I really don't enjoy that end of things. While I've assembled several kits and wired up the autoformer volume controls, scratch building a phono stage is another thing entirely. May end up being a custom job instead of me floundering about for years trying to sort out the noise issues.

Doubtless someone will know why but my Esco retipped Troika didn´t seem to like my At-650 SUT so I went for a tuned up hagerman Piccolo headamp kit and it sounds way better especially since I fitted Schinkoh load resistors. I´m now getting a Simplistic Salas Mosfet HT Shunt regulator built for the valves in my Puresound P10 to lower (hopefully) the noise floor substantially. As it stands and apart from the present noise floor, I much prefer it to a Linto if that means anything. are there cartridges for SUTs and others for active head amps ?
    Last edited by Chris; 22nd December 2010 at 19:31. Reason: Spelling of course.

+ Reply to Thread