+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Active MC Phonostage, or MM+Steup?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    are there cartridges for SUTs and others for active head amps ?
    No, but loading is important for transformers and active. Your retipped cartridge might need some fiddling in that department as it obviously sounds different to the pre retipped one.

update, talking to Allnic about the possibility of an HA3000 headamp, set to my carts requirements, seems a shame not to use the cracking inbuilt MM stage in the Mastersound, having sold the Rhea and using the Kiseki SUT, the sound is similar to the Rhea, but with a touch of sibilance at high volume, if i can crack that.....

....watch this space, will be well into february, as they won;t have black available until then, if this is unsuitable i could always go for the active phono next year.

http://www.jordanacoustics.co.uk/pro...ef=1122&mode=9

Just remembered a tip that Thorsten Loesch used to recommend. Burn in the step up transformers with a cd on repeat. Might need to be careful of the cd player output though, don't want to destroy the transformer windings. I think he even went so far as to make up a set of ic's with cartridge pins on them and run the signal through the tonearm wire as well. I have some Lundahl transformers and they recommended this as well.

Well the HA 3000 is an active headamp, rather than a passive tranny, allow me to keep it pure, but have the last bit of slam and texture that pure passives lack

u
    Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    using the Kiseki SUT, the sound is similar to the Rhea, but with a touch of sibilance at high volume, if i can crack that.....
    http://www.jordanacoustics.co.uk/pro...ef=1122&mode=9
    The break in is for the Kiseki transformer, only about .2mV ever run through it, if you believe in component break in, then give it a try. Might save the Allnic money to spend on something else.

Keeping it pure? Some would argue that using the active is not keeping it pure...

the Kiseki is an old one, should be well broke in, keeping it pure is one thing, but trannies don't keep it pure, there is ringing, and losses, your're effectively running it along a long length of wire, the active way may give a little more noise, especially if tube driven, but it also preserves the finer details, the texture etc, and has more slam, especially in the midrange. Thing is as well, the money for the Allnic is set aside, and hifi wise i don't want/need anything.

Aaahh, the coiled wire with gain. Just yanking your chain Paul, we all have our own preferences. Let us know how the active compares when you get it.

Just had an interesting test. I recently set up a Si74 replinthed Lenco with my Supex 900E. This is a new to me cartridge and I had not played with it before. Trolling the net suggested 1.5g tracking force and 23 ohm loading. Earlier in this thread, I posted some musings on loading by Dave Slagle. One of the things suggested was loading the primary in addition to the secondary of a step up transformer to account for ringing/impedance issues both in the cartridge and within the transformer itself. So, given I have a new room, new speakers, new vinyl system, decided to give it a try.

Using Y connectors, I loaded both the input and output of my transformer. Sounded pretty good, left it for a few days. Tweaked the cartridge geometry a bit, and what's this? Much more detail, sound is more dense, but way in your face. Now, the new back loaded horns are a bit forward, so this isn't really what I wanted. Was thinking about what to tweak next instead of what great music was pouring out. Then it occurred to me that I could try just loading the secondary. Ok, removed the Y connectors on the primary and dropped the needle in the groove. Tonal balance back to where it needs to be, but much more laid back. Also, that sound density is lowered. Overall, I think this is a positive, but more sound (not louder) would be even better.

Think I'll stay here for awhile and get used to this new setup. When the urge to tweak starts again, I'll play with VTA, tracking force, and then maybe loading again.

Good evening Gentlemen,

Thought I’d add my news to this thread rather open a new one…..

Finally got around to loading the old Kiseki Purpleheart vdh (Rock ll, Excalibur rewired by Johnnie, Anatek Reference phono) with 800 ohms+ as per recommendations on Posi+ive-feedback.com back in 2014.

I bought a couple of Vishay 1000ohm pots to plug into the Anatek and, after assembling a wee box with bits from Maplin, left the new project to run in with an old Eddie Reader lp I don’t often play (new solder joints: at least 30 minutes, checked tracking weight also) - so far so good.

Put on Roxy Music ‘Avalon’ - getting there….nice.

Put on Stanley Clarke’s ‘School Days’ (a flimsy CBS nice price lp I’ve had for years) and increased the volume: YES, serious dynamics, attack and detail - so time and money well spent and goes to prove that cartridge loading is important and worthwhile!

Oh, and I’m going to Hammersmith to see Devin Townsend this coming Friday…..anyone else going?
    got myself a one-way ticket....... going the wrong way - AC/DC Ride On

+ Reply to Thread