+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Klaus Schulze....where to start.

Default Klaus Schulze....where to start.

Been listening to samples of "Are you Sequenced" and been pretty impressed so its on order as a wee taster.
    Looking at his back catalogue is a little intimidating. I mean, 90 odd albums or whatever, where the feck do you start. I have all of his collaborations with Lisa Gerrard and TBH they sound abit samey after a while although still very enjoyable if yer in the mood.
    I enjoy his faster more upbeat sequencing work best of all with the more ambient minimalist avant garde stuff not really to my liking.
    Not looking to go all completist here, just a few essentials along the lines of Are you Sequenced or similar would be enough.
    "Crime of Suspense" also sounds promising. Is this along the lines of Sequencing?

Help!
    Last edited by Roksoff; 5th January 2011 at 00:55.

If you gimme a couple of hours I'll give you a rough guide. I'm just about to head out to work here but should be able to point you in a reasonable direction. last time I looked I had around 99% of Schulzes output here somewhere.

Cheers Z.

Righto here goes!

Schulze is a bit of a love/hate with me. I have practically all of his output (I'm even credited in the booklet for his 'Silver Edition'). I go through phases of playing little else but Schulze then I might not listen to him for a year or so. For the early 'teutonic' Berliner school sequencer stuff Id go for Moondawn, Mirage, Timewind and both Body Love albums. These albums are quite floaty and dreamy, characterised by long tracks and plenty of Mellotron or Moog.
    'x' is a must and is available on vinyl from jpc.de You simply must have this.....theres no escaping it Roks lol.
    From the release of Digit in 1980 to say 1994's Das Wagner Desaster....Live Klaus went very very Digital. I find these albums to be a very slow progression in sound and technique. I enjoy them ....but rarely. Of the lot I'd pic En=Trance, The Dome Event, Beyond Recall. They have good sequencer work but can become a little samey.

In Blue is a must if you like Manuel Gottesching's guitar. It has a few sequences that are very similar to Are you sequenced and you should be able to pick up the extended version cheap.
    Live at Klangart Vol 1 and Vol 2 are brilliant and have some fantastic cello playing.

If you can get it the Rheingold 2cd dvd set is a must. Steven Wilson has a short documentary on it with Klaus and the overall sound on the dvd is stunning.

The Box sets......are all getting the re-master re-release treatment at the moment and I'd say the originals will set you back a fair whack. I've someone wanting the 'Silver Edition' 10cd set for around 800! Of these box sets I enjoyed Contemporary works 2 and as far as I am aware the discs in this have all been re released. It was very well produced with plenty of driving sequencer work, some lovely voices and some bass frequencies to loosen your bowels.

I'll be in Berlin at the end of April if you want me to hunt down any particular discs. They are all reasonably easily bought between ebay, discogs, jpc.de, synthmusicdirect and groove.nl

Any further q's just shout and if you would like me to rick a prison sentence by providing you with a sample of Schulze......well you can PM lol.

Excellent, thanks and very helpful.
    Plenty to get me teeth into.
    I have Rheingold 2 cd, Farsape and Dziekuje Bardzo , all Gerrard/KS collaborations. I hear what your saying regards going through phases. If I spin one I usually spin the others.
    If you remember you sent me a sampler a while ago of various artist and Gottesching was one of them which I enjoyed. I will revisit the disks you sent along with the suggestions above and take it from there.
    Thanks, appreciated.

Had a wee listen of "X", as you say it sounds like a must and is also available on vinyl. The cd version is an extremely long album (almost 3 hours) so how do they fit that onto 2 slabs of vinyl? Is it edited to fit the vinyl format or is it the full version?

Slightly confused about "In Blue" aswell. If you go to Amazon's download store you can have a 30 second preview of each track. Amazon downloads list 16 tracks on this album but the 2 x cd "Revisited" label version only lists 5 tracks. The "Zyx" version has no track listing. I have one or two "Zyx" releases and they are top quality IMO so might plump for this version as long as its the full album version if you get what i mean.
    Sorry for being a pest and thanks for any help given.

OK the CD reissues on SPV all came with extra tracks that had been dug out of Klaus D. Mueller's archives (Schulze management of sorts). I have the original x as released way back on the Brain Metronome label but subsequently bought the Brain 2cd then downloaded the reissues with the extra tracks. (Geek I know). Simple answer is the lp will have the original tracks and no extras whilst the cd's will have bonuses. On the lp the track Georg Trakl is 5mins but it appears in its 20+ minute version on the CD.

As for in Blue some of the longer tracks were broken down into sections with index markers so you could skip through the tracks. I think thats why you get many tracks listed on Amazon. If in doubt check out the Discogs Schulze listings.

This arrived this morning......cd's being ripped to HDD as we speak........I'll have to work out what to do with the dvd

So far so good!

Quote Originally Posted by Zygote23 View Post

This arrived this morning......cd's being ripped to HDD as we speak........I'll have to work out what to do with the dvd

So far so good!

thanks for that Steve, will help me with my insomnia

Funny that crystal lake track is from Mirage around 1977 and I regularly use it to slip off to sleep.

First post after introducing myself...

I pretty much lost interest in KS after Dziękuję Poland Live '83... most of his output is too unstructured and just meanders along for my tastes. I don't mean to be mega critical, but his lack of musicianship and compositional skills are very noticeable in comparison to the other big names from the golden age of electronica. Just my two penneth!

Anyway, imho this is the best thing he ever did:

...a Daniel Baldelli cosmic classic

My other favourite KS piece is Crystal Lake, as already mentioned, from this:

I love the trippy bell like sequence and the way it evolves with other sequenced layers until.... BAM! The first filter modulated bass note kicks in and it takes your breath away!

Also quite partial to Cellestica and Spielglocken from this:

The gatefold LP is worth buying just for the photo of Klaus surrounded by his synths!!!

I love MG so will definitely have to check out 'In Blue'

Resurrecting an old thread but why not

I bought my first KS album purely because I discovered he was briefly in Tangerine Dream. It was 'Royal Festival Hall Pt 1'. Although it was quite 'out there' musically I thought it was great. Part 2 was less good, same with Dome event. I tried Miditerranean Pads which I quite liked. They all illustrated a pattern of how KS works. He clearly likes to just play and will jam away with an idea then a section of that session will become an album. Most of his music will just fade in run for a bit then fade out again, there's never really a start or end to the work. His old analog stuff like Timewind or X are classics but I find them less interesting to his later more digital stuff.

I have to be in the right mood for his music, sometimes nothing else will suit.

So despite spending a fortune on his work most of it I rarely play, however the 'Dark Side of the Moog' series he created with the late Pete Namlook (and Bill Laswell occasionally) are great. The way they evolve in their mood and concept. Despite having a Pink Floyd inspired title (and track titles too) they have nothing to do with that sort of music, just pure electronic awesomeness. I'm fortunate enough to have all 11 albums, it's a treat to cue them all up back to back, one hell of a listen!

+ Reply to Thread