+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Turntable

Blog Entries

Default Turntable

I've got a rather nice turntable coming next week, well two actually but the one I'm really excited about is a true classic. Idler drive too
    Si.

Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

Blog Entries

It might be here tomorrow with a bit of luck
    Si.

Blog Entries

301 perhaps??
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

Blog Entries

Close, very close John but I couldn't just run to a 301. Jeez a good one can fetch ridiculous money but its partner in crime fortunately commands a more modest outlay

It hasn't turned up yet but this arrived today

Very nicely made and very delicate for an idler drive. I slipped a decent cart in it and it played rather well but the bearing sounded a bit rough.

Don't laugh but where's the thrust pad Looks like someone's been bodging
    Si.

Blog Entries

Temporary proper bodge has now been carried out

I found a Lenco small bearing in the spares box ( thanks Gary) and the thrust plate was just about the right size. A washer or two underneath for packing, a dollop of 20/50 chain lube and the job's a good 'un

I'll make a proper repair when I have a bit more time.
    Si.

Can't make out the brand Si and where did you buy it from? (I'm glad the old Lenco bearing has come in useful.)

So is it a 401 on its way?

Blog Entries

It's an early Kenwood PC-200U bought off the bay. The arm is worth what I paid for it but it's such a lovely thing I couldn't strip it. I've stuck a decent cart in it and it plays really well so I'll overhaul it and find it a new owner. It deserves a reprieve though I have to say it's been very well cared for but I think the bearing was knocked out and bodged so it was sent packing. Just the sort of thing I like getting my teeth into
    Si.

That's a good find Si. I didn't know Kenwood did idler drives, just dd. I'd stick an ADC magnesium headshell on that arm, they come up frequently on ebay.

Blog Entries

I already have a Sumiko headshell for it Gary Came as a bonus in another deal I did recently
    Si.

Hmm Sumiko Shumako. I couldn't use one of those on my Sony - far too heavy for the carbon fibre arm and its counterweight.

Blog Entries

Here we are lads, look at this beauty

Couple of tiny marks here and there but it really is in fantastic condition.

I'm already part way through making a temporary plinth, sort of a Garrard work plinth
    Si.

My guess was right then but it couldn't have been much else tbh. So what are your plans for this tt? What arm will you install with it?

Blog Entries

Well Gary the idea is to try and turn it into some profit. I've already started on a plinth and I'm going to use my Audiomods Rega arm. I like this arm a lot and its just sitting around doing nothing so it seems a good idea to use it on this plinth as this will be my workbench for servicing and repair of Garrard turntables.
    Si.

And....we know the Audio Mods arm works well with the 401 because its been tried on mine
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

Blog Entries

Aye it's a good arm. Pity it isn't a 12 incher but you can't have everything

Here's a few pics of the plinth under construction. It's a simple box affair but the motor board will just sit inside the perimeter of the box frame. I took the pics with my phone so apologies for the poor quality.

This shows the bracing which gives the box some strength and the feet will be fitted to these also.

And lastly here's the motor boards sitting roughly in position. I've yet to glue in the batons that the motor board will sit on. There will be a cork strips in between the board and the batons and some mass loading of the motor board.

Si.

Good work Si. Did you train as a carpenter or just picked things up over the years?

Blog Entries

I trained in electrical engineering but I've always been pretty fair at anything that required a pair of hands. I have a strong background in electronics and I enjoy mechanical engineering too. I've taken vocational courses in welding, spray painting, hydraulic and pneumatic systems etc in my spare time but never woodwork. This is something I really enjoy above all else because I think it builds from my other abilities. I think it's something to do with the organic nature of the material too.

Tbh It's my brain that doesn't always function correctly
    Si.

I greatly admire good woodwork and was quite good at it at school and almost took it up as a profession. I remember at uni, the final shows included the furniture design graduates from Shrewsbury and I was gob-smacked at the quality of the hand-made furniture in the show. Dovetail joints to die for and beautiful finishes and design; mind it was very expensive to buy, them being all one-offs.

Just a thought Si. A number of 401s have a switch boss in the chassis underneath the "401" plate on the right hand side which hangs down a bit. It's something that doesn't appear in the manual or noted on the 'cut-out' template.

Loricraft motor boards are cut to accept this switch boss, but if you've got one and your motor board is cut as per template the 401 will not drop into your board and you'll need to cut a bit more away.....

If this is the case, best to catch earlier, rather than later.....

401.motor board.2.JPG
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

+ Reply to Thread