+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Turntable

Gordon

Si`s 401 looks similar vintage to mine (Chrome bezel around strobe, raised Garrard lettering and small printing on the control panel so I think he should be ok with the shape he has cut

Andy
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post
    Gordon

Si`s 401 looks similar vintage to mine (Chrome bezel around strobe, raised Garrard lettering and small printing on the control panel so I think he should be ok with the shape he has cut

Andy
    Yeah, that's good. Mine's the same, but I've come across those with the switch boss previously and strangely enough no one seems to be able to explain why it's there.... (??)
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

Blog Entries

I've tried the deck in the cutout straight away and it fitted ok. Actually for some stupid reason I cut slightly to much away on the top arc but I opened the mounting bolt holes up to 10mm so I could move the unit up slightly I'm not too fussed at this stage as the motor boards only sits in the fruitbox so it's easy to make another. The idea of this is so I can experiment with a selection of top plates made out of different materials in anticipation of building the Objects d'Art SuperPlinth
    Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Chops54 View Post
    in anticipation of building the Objects d'Art SuperPlinth

Can`t wait for this
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

Blog Entries

Well you started all this I remember that day I first visited you and listened to your 401. The 301 wasn't togged up was it? Whenever I listen to a record played on a Garrard I see a vision in my head of an LP turning in space on its own. You don't know the deck's there do you?

Tsk Tsk me and my imagination
    Si.

Did he spike your welcome drink? I fear you may not want to part with this after it's finished and you've heard it.

Blog Entries

Lol, tea with two mushrooms

I fall in love with most things I make Gary, that's the bloody problem.
    Si.

Lol, tea with two mushrooms
    Not guilty m`lud

Although I do generally get a healthy crop of magic mushrooms in my garden most years

All I know Si is that I have had lots of tables over the years and I will not be buying another, just maybe trying to refine the two I have

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post
    All I know Si is that I have had lots of tables over the years and I will not be buying another, just maybe trying to refine the two I have
    Totally agree Andrew, there's a 'last forever' solidity and precision about it thats unmatched out there and it sounds darn good to boot, my 401 with a minted Alphason HR100s + Lp Ebony with Tim Paravicini 'the head' SUT through LFD phonostage is where it's at, might take it back to it's creator and to put my Audio Technica ATP 12t arm to take my doemant 103r with heavy headshell or anything in that ilk then i'm covered for cartridges across the board, called off the search except to get your DD with a big motor sorted with my Tecnoarm and see what DD's has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by wiicrackpot View Post
    Totally agree Andrew, there's a 'last forever' solidity and precision about it thats unmatched
    they are good I'll give you that, and for the money, a steal, but umatched, mmmmmm, not sure i agree, have you heard the big Japanese DD's of the late 70's, early 80's for example?
    Last edited by The Professor; 21st January 2011 at 11:17. Reason: format

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    Totally agree Andrew, there's a 'last forever' solidity and precision about it thats unmatched
    they are good I'll give you that, and for the money, a steal, but umatched, mmmmmm, not sure i agree, have you heard the big Japanese DD's of the late 70's, early 80's for example?
    No Prof i have never heard one, going by the pictures of the rigs i see on the web,could never give it house room and they involve complex electronics just to keep it running just leaves me cold incase something goes wrong with it.

I guess i got lucky with my 401 as it was local pick up and one owner minter for not much dough, on top of that i gave it the WD20 Sig treatment with my input on it's final sexy size and finish, i still marvel at my wee beauty everyday day and the simplicity of playing music.
    Last edited by The Professor; 21st January 2011 at 11:18. Reason: formatting

Andy I'm not taking anything away from the 401, it's up there, and i don't like the big DD decks either, I'll stick with my bouncer, you are of course welcome as before

I know Paul, B..b..but thats tempting fate, i've waned myself away from them B....iiig multi boxed bouncers(and nothing comes bigger than the Dunlop creations) and i've promised myself never to clap eyes on anyone elses kit, especially yours but never say never.

We'll see after my spate of overtime is done and Celtic Connections gigs are over then i'll make tracks to Prof mansions, awrighty.

Blog Entries

This is interesting. I'm with Paul on this one. My Empire is in front of the Garrard imo and it's a bouncer too, a proper one that hangs off the springs as Paul is always reminding us and it's a valid point. The Linn Sondek is always refered to as suspended, well it isn't, it sits on the springs so it ain't suspended is it?
    Anyway back to the thread. Andy is coming to mine on Saturday to listen to the Kenwood, the 401 and the Empire. That the Empire is better than the Garrard is purely my personal choice but I'm open minded and that's why I bought the Garrard. It's one hell of a TT which ever way you look at it.
    Last edited by Chops54; 21st January 2011 at 13:51.
    Si.

This is interesting. I'm with Paul on this one. My Empire is in front of the Garrard imo and it's a bouncer too, a proper one that hangs off the springs as Paul is always reminding us and it's a valid point. The Linn Sondek is always refered to as suspended, well it isn't, it sits on the springs so it ain't suspended is it?
    Anyway back to the thread. Andy is coming to mine on Saturday to listen to the Kenwood, the 401 and the Empire. That the Empire is better than the Garrard is purely my personal choice but I'm open minded and that's why I bought the Garrard. It's one hell of a TT which ever you look at it.
    Si, get what you're saying a 'proper' suspender/hanger, my very 1st listen to a hanger was in the early 80's, a pal had a Oracle Delphi mk1 or 2 i can't remember and i loved that TT, so much so i secretly wanted one but i was a devoted Linnie then and refused to admit it sounded well err....different , the bounce was an eye openner, nothing like the bounce from one that sits on the springs.

Watching with interest the outcome of the shoot out.

Blog Entries

Imo the Empire is well in front of a cooking Linn Sondek but unfortunately it isn't as flexible regarding the choice of tonearm. Because the suspension hangs it exhibits none of the nervousness you sometimes feel with the Linn.
    Si.

Watching with interest the outcome of the shoot out.
    Not a shoot out as such Andy, but a regular get together that occurs either at Si`s or here at mine to spin a few tunz and chew the fat mate.

Anyway back to matters Garrard. You do realize that as far as the forum is concerned, without photo`s your 401 does not exist So come lets be having some posted!

Blog Entries

There's a pic of the motor unit on post 12. Sometime tonight I'll have it mounted in it's temporary plinth, armed and ready to go with a nude Denon 103 as we both know what that sounds like. Should be great fun.

We never have shoot outs do we Andy? It's not about who's got the best kit it's all about enjoyment of our hobby within our meagre financial means
    Si.

all the TT's mentioned are great, it ALL comes down to taste, the 401 is superb, especially for the price, say up to 2k in a very very good plinth, often less, I mean whhat else is there for that kinda money that comes remotely close. (Alphason Sonata with an H100 MCS ok but nothing new)

As for pics Si, i think Andy was refering to wiicrackpots 401.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    As for pics Si, i think Andy was refering to wiicrackpots 401.

Told you I was a thick cnut
    Si.

+ Reply to Thread