+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Turntable

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post
    Anyway back to matters Garrard. You do realize that as far as the forum is concerned, without photo`s your 401 does not exist So come lets be having some posted!
    You need to go and find my thread in the 'toolkit', where I posted them when I built it!!!! See here.
    You've even commented on it previously Andy.
    Last edited by WullieD20; 21st January 2011 at 19:28. Reason: added link.
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

Blog Entries

I remember some of that thread Gordon. I think I was working away at the time so I could only snatch bits at the weekend. So you built Crackpot's plinth for him? Is that his 401 in the plinth or your 401? The finish is first class Gordon and if you ever get laid off I'll give you a job. I can only pay minimum wage though
    Another thing I find interesting is that I seriously didn't know that Loricraft isolated the motor board from the rest of the plinth! I've used cork pieces at each corner of my plinth for the decoupling. Amazing, I really need to get out more lol.
    Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Chops54 View Post
    I remember some of that thread Gordon. I think I was working away at the time so I could only snatch bits at the weekend. So you built Crackpot's plinth for him? Is that his 401 in the plinth or your 401? The finish is first class Gordon and if you ever get laid off I'll give you a job. I can only pay minimum wage though
    Another thing I find interesting is that I seriously didn't know that Loricraft isolated the motor board from the rest of the plinth! I've used cork pieces at each corner of my plinth for the decoupling. Amazing, I really need to get out more lol.
    Hi Si,

Yes, that was Wii's 401 and I built the plinth with an isolated motor board. It's not suspended or bouncy in any way, but it's supported on rubber bushes to assist in isloating it from 'outside influences'.. a la Loricraft to some extent!

The Loricraft has an isolated motor board that sits on top of squash balls located in the corner bracing where there are circular holes to accomodate the balls. Unfortunately, the weight of the 401 in the motor board is not an insignificant weight and the balls distort and flatten over time....

I was really chuffed with Andy's eventual choice of veneer for his plinth and the way the wood shading worked as I fabricated the veneer across the motor board and round the carcass....

I've got a plan for a bit of a different concept for my 401 with some isolation from the arm and the versatility to fit arms of different lengths, although I'll be putting one of j7's best on it.....

I can show you more photos of Andy's build if you're interested......

G

Blog Entries

Stick them on please Gordon. I do enjoy looking at other people's work especially those that don't do it for a living. To me that's when it's done for the love of it and can be truly appreciated.
    Si.

Si + Andrew~ Get what you mean about getting to listening to different traits of each TT without rubbishing one from the other, a wee get together for a chinwag and tunes is good, will try and take a coupe of pictures from it's new surroundings.

WD20~ Thanks for posting the pics, i can't get access to the old ones as my old computer has a bug and won't boot up.

Will go and fix dinner now, check in later and catch up with this thread.

Blog Entries

Enjoy your grub Andy, I've just ordered a kebab, chicken with salad mind, healthy options and all that lol.

I think what happens with me and Andy is that because we have different preferences, when I go to his place he'll ask me what do I think about such and such a thing and I'll tell what I think. Same when he comes to mine. I think we all get used to our own gear and it's good to get unbiased constructive criticism now and again. Keeps us on our toes and it would be bloody boring without a change of scenery now and again.
    Si.

Si, i must be getting old,didn't want to get up off my arse after din dins, not as tasty as your Kebeb i'm afraid but it fills a hole.

As for asking for unbiased criticism, i am hopeless at giving out opinion, i can honestly say there's not one system i've heard from others peeps that i didn't like something about it and a couple i could only dream of so i am hopeless if you ask me ''what do you think Andy'',i'd just be sitting there with a stupid grin like Beavis and Butthead.

I do enjoy looking at other people's work especially those that don't do it for a living. To me that's when it's done for the love of it and can be truly appreciated.

for the love of it is not the sole reserve of the hobbyist Si, I know a few manufacturers who do it for the love, and every one of their products are lovingly crafted, and they are proud of every one, J7, the Dunlops, Joff Palmer to name 3, and pretty soon yourself. There are many others, that they make a living out of it is a bonus, making money creating things that you love, jobs don't get much better than that.
    Last edited by The Professor; 22nd January 2011 at 01:08.

Blog Entries

You've missed the point Paul. It's about limited resources and having to do everything the hard way. I'm tired and I can't focus and my picture hosting site isn't working. I wanted to put some pics of the Garrard ready to go but never mind.
    Last edited by Chops54; 22nd January 2011 at 04:50.
    Si.

Default Wii's 401 Plinth

Si, here's few photies showing the build process of Andy's 401 Plinth. (To be fair though, I was originally trained in all sorts of woodwork, joinery and cabinet making.....)

The brief was to make it with the smallest possible dimensions in order to fit the Alphason tone arm and it should not be 'cost the earth!'....

So: Here's the fundamental carcass manufactured from 15mm MDF.

Carcass.jpg

And this one shows the motor well with ventilation holes drilled.

Carcass2..jpg

This one shows one of the motor board mountings (a rubber 'bobbin' bush threaded into a base pillar and located into a sleeve fitted in the underside of the motor baord).

Top Board Mounting.jpg

This one shows the inside of the carcass after completing the mountings, wiring and satin black finishing the internal sufaces.

Carcass Internal.jpg

This is the finished motor board after veneering and satin black finishing unseen surfaces.

Top Board.jpg

And the finshed article can be found on the previously posted link to the thread in the 'The Tool Box'...
    Last edited by WullieD20; 22nd January 2011 at 17:05.

Blog Entries

Nice work there Gordon. Love the grommet Is the veneer glued on?

Here's me Garrard

Si.

Nice work there Gordon. Love the grommet Is the veneer glued on?
    Here's me Garrard
    Si,

The veneer was 'the real stuff'.... Macassar Ebony, and applied using pro PVA (and a million cramps for every piece!!!!.... ha ha)

Nice job with the 401 Si.... Lookin good....and serviceable in no time at all, eh?

It's taken me a year and I'm not far on with mine!!. I started with 38mm beech blockboard, believing in its mass, versitility and suitablity for the design I had, but having cut the template in two pieces and doing exactly what you did (cut the template and the mounting holes and tried the 401 chassis), all was fine. Until a couple of weeks later when I got back to the job and the mounting holes were up to 8mm out. Talk about unstable.... The beech went in the skip and I started again with plywood....

Blog Entries

Thanks Gordon. I was up until 4 this morning finishing it off but I needed to get it done. The plinth is just a rough job made from sheathing ply but it does the job for now. I have an idea for a layered plinth so I'm going to construct a dummy from mdf first which will be the template for the Od'A SuperPlinth

More soon, I'm off out for a few scoops
    Si.

Thanks Gordon. I was up until 4 this morning finishing it off but I needed to get it done. The plinth is just a rough job made from sheathing ply but it does the job for now.
    It sounds bloody good for a quickly knocked up plinth believe me.

Thanks for showing us Wii `s Plinth Gordon It also looks very good.

At the moment my 401 sits on a two tier slate plinth with all its guts on show between the two tiers. I have been contemplating cutting a beech worktop offcut 40mm thick to infill the gap, but I might rethink that having read your comments above. Just having a couple of sides of Bill Bragg while I type
    Last edited by Andy831; 22nd January 2011 at 21:30.
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

Blog Entries

I'm glad you liked it Andy. Acoustic decoupling was very good I thought considering it was sat on a badly constructed table that was sat on a suspended floor rather than a wall shelf.

What's a hard right winger doing listening to Billy Bragg Seriously though a great artist who can't sing a note but you can enjoy every minute of the performance
    Si.

Andrew, here's my 401 in situ in it's new surroundings.
    032.JPG
    026.JPG

P.S. thinks it's worked, many thanks to j7 for instructing dunder heid how it's done.

Looks great Andy.
    Do to others as you would have them do to you. (Luke 6:31)

From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” (Matthew 4:17)

Nice. Is that an Ikea Lack cabinet you've applied a darker finish to?

Blog Entries

That looks nice WCP. What's the amp? That slotted cage is very reminiscent of Conrad Johnson.
    Si.

171.JPG176.JPG175.JPG

Umberto ~ thanks, sounds as good as well.
    Gary ~ it's a 2nd bookcase i bought for £60.00 in Gumtree
    Si ~ the amp are Denis Moorecroft creations,£650.00 from Gumtree, had them 4years now and going strong, never had a service in 30years or so of it's life, here's a couple more.

011.JPG

Fooking hell, it's gone tits up this post, my library from my old pc wouldn't load, grabbed my digi cam and took a couple more but text ended up in the middle.
    Last edited by wiicrackpot; 23rd January 2011 at 18:20. Reason: 30yrs telling a fib when i said 40yrs old

+ Reply to Thread