+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Linn Sondek

Blog Entries

Default Linn Sondek

While my own turntable is undergoing some improvements I've resurrected one of my Linn Sondeks. This was always my favourite with the oversize Henk plinth and sports my own subchassis and armboard, top plate and an OL Advanced DC motor kit. I've stuck my Audiomods arm on it with DL103 and it sounds very good on the workbench so I'm looking forward hearing it in the main system tomorrow.

From the top with laminated acrylic arm board

From below with my own subchassis and dc motor

And with the platter removed showing the alternative motor positions. Ignore the contentious thread drive. That's just me playing around

I've just made another batch of these top plates. They are suitable only for dc motor kits and the square switch hole is deleted. The finish is virtually identical to the original and I'm selling these for 45 quid plus postage. I'm also going to offer the parts for a dc motor kit soon.
    Si.

If these are the same top plates you gave to Si74 then I can easily recommend them, they seem a lot stiffer than the standard linn ones and have at least as good a finish.

Glad things are moving for ya Si.

Blog Entries

Thanks Paul. I think these new ones are much nicer. I've also moved the motor position out slightly. I'm going send another to Si to have a look at.

I've also made a couple of bearing supports and I reckon these will bring take a pre Cirkus bearing beyond Cirkus spec. These will fit a standard subchassis as well but three extra holes will have to be drilled.

Si.

Great work Si. So do these alterations mean this deck no longer bounces? With my Lenco I noticed immediately you made its springs obsolete.

Blog Entries

Thank you Gary.

No it still bounces. The Lenco on the other hand needs mass to damp the motor vibrations etc hence the reason for coupling the deck solidly to the plinth. It was never a suspended turntable in the true sense anyway.
    Si.

OK si, a couple of the bosses (is that the correct word?) were shagged on mine anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    OK si, a couple of the bosses (is that the correct word?) were shagged on mine anyway.
    Spat my cornflakes when i saw this Gary, thanks for the bellyful of laughs, bet you a few would like to do just that in their work place.

Nice work Si. Have to give you a bell, have a few ideas I want to discuss.
    The other Si :-)
    I'm a fucking wanker

So now it is a Si Sondek and no longer a Linn
    I have a Rock and I'm not afraid to use it.

Only way to go:-)
    I'm a fucking wanker

Quote Originally Posted by Batty View Post
    So now it is a Si Sondek and no longer a Linn
    next you'll be copying the TT design and calling it yer own, no wait.....hang on.....no one would stoop that low surely?

That deserves some rep.
    I have a Rock and I'm not afraid to use it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    next you'll be copying the TT design and calling it yer own, no wait.....hang on.....no one would stoop that low surely?
    I'm back now so I can answer the question.

I personally wouldn't pass anyone else's creation off as my own and I've never offered any mods to anyone else's either though I've made many for myself over the years and sometimes wish I had. Tbh I have no wish to take a ride on the back of another manufacturer's product as I'm quite capable of doing my own. Sure I'll build a one off Lenco or a Linn for someone if they ask and I can make a top plate for the Sondek that allows the OL dc motor to work a bit better but so what?

Just a thought, all turntables built with a sprung subchassis owe their existence to Vilchur so depending on how far back you want to go there's nothing new under the sun is there really?
    Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Chops54 View Post
    I'm back now so I can answer the question.

I personally wouldn't pass anyone else's creation off as my own and I've never offered any mods to anyone else's either though I've made many for myself over the years and sometimes wish I had. Tbh I have no wish to take a ride on the back of another manufacturer's product as I'm quite capable of doing my own. Sure I'll build a one off Lenco or a Linn for someone if they ask and I can make a top plate for the Sondek that allows the OL dc motor to work a bit better but so what?

Just a thought, all turntables built with a sprung subchassis owe their existence to Vilchur so depending on how far back you want to go there's nothing new under the sun is there really?
    Mate I was jesting, and commenting on a certain Glaswegian gentleman who likes the letter K

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    Mate I was jesting, and commenting on a certain Glaswegian gentleman who likes the letter K
    Yep I'm slow today
    Si.

Like the uni but without the last e?

Blog Entries

Anyway does this deck look good or what? Sounds damn good too The OL speed control is in the box on the left. This particular Advanced controller is one of the early ones that was meant to be put inside the turntable plinth but I preferred it outside as it makes speed adjustment so much easier.

This particular deck is for sale if anyone's interested but the arm isn't included. I can fit your Rega no problem or supply a blank acrylic armboard. There is no lid as this is one of Henk's oversized plinths. A new belt and a standard glued subchassis will be included but once this deck is listened to I doubt anyone would wish to change it.

Offers around 600 quid which I think is pretty reasonable.
    Si.

It's not really a wow that's a gorgeous tt is it? Never has been. I went to Sound Cinergy in Aldridge on Saturday and Clive there is a major Linn dealer and a huge fan of the sondek and of vinyl in general. He has several new LP12s on display in various configurations and the one that caught my eye was the one in a cherry plinth and with an Ekos SE arm. Now that one looks very tasty but the others, like the one with the much improved Akito II arm (at only 1k now, sigh) look utilitarian as usual. I would have one though, if one was offered.

Edit: One Sondek had the Project arm, which just looked weird. Apparently they're a good match and won't do Pro-ject's reputation any harm. Pro-ject are a bit like the Skoda of the hi-fi world - excellent products but people look down on them.
    Last edited by TIU; 11th April 2011 at 20:51.

Blog Entries

Linn do a package with the Project arm as standard.

I still have three rear engined Skodas, one of which I drive regularly. Scanias look down on me too
    Si.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post

Edit: One Sondek had the Project arm, which just looked weird. Apparently they're a good match and won't do Pro-ject's reputation any harm. Pro-ject are a bit like the Skoda of the hi-fi world - excellent products but people look down on them.
    So, did you hear the one about the Czech national lottery?

First prize was a Skoda; second prize, two Skodas.

:-D
    Last edited by Tube Nube; 23rd April 2011 at 05:46.

+ Reply to Thread