+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bonnie "Prince" Billy

Default Bonnie "Prince" Billy

Do any of you know Bonnie "Price" Billy?
    I found his stile very addictive and weird, love it!

Blog Entries

Yeah. I've got a couple of his albums - master and everyone and I see a darkness. I've also got his collaboration album with scottish trad band harem scarem.

I love Johnny Cash's version of I see a Darkness on American III: Solitary Man. 'Prince' Billy's own work is a little too countrified for me, all that banjo pickin dagnabit!

Are you listening to the same albums I have?

Not too much banjo-ness on Master Oldham's albums...

I See a Darkness and Master and Everyone are more folk than country, to my ears, and all wonderful: I mean, who can resist a love song told from the perspective of a werewolf? Not me!

You want to annoy yourself with banjos, Gary, try Abigail Washburn's latest, City of Refuge, more banjo-picking there than you could shake a whole field of bluegrass at!

I reckon anyone who gets on with I See a Darkness or Master and Everyone could do worse than check out Damien Jurado: something like Where Shall You Take Me? or On My Way To Absence.

I have been known to describe him as Will Oldham's weirder cousin.

I first bought Where Shall... on the back of hearing the song Texas To Ohio on some magazine free disc. It is, however, atypical of the album, being quite rocky. The rest is more acoustic, with some atmospheric electronics added by Eric Fisher. The opening and closing songs are the killer tracks: Amateur Night is just scary, with its half-spoken, half-whispered intimations of sex and violence - think a North American Aidan Moffatt; closer Bad Dreams is a haunting, piano led plea for understanding, if not forgiveness. In between are pastoral evocations of childhood and youthful memories, weird folk songs that could come from a Bonny "Prince" Billy album, further suggestions of drunken violence, all delivered in a husky drawl. Not one for those who are averse to some darkness in their music, and not one for those who insist on someone being a "good" singer. Me, I like my non-singers who can deliver a song!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
    Do any of you know Bonnie "Price" Billy?
    I found his stile very addictive and weird, love it!

that was very enjoyable !!
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post

I See a Darkness and Master and Everyone are more folk than country, to my ears, and all wonderful: I mean, who can resist a love song told from the perspective of a werewolf? Not me!

You want to annoy yourself with banjos, Gary, try Abigail Washburn's latest, City of Refuge, more banjo-picking there than you could shake a whole field of bluegrass at!
    I'll give that one a miss thanks. Now where's me cotton-pickin brush gone?

Quote Originally Posted by j7 View Post
    that was very enjoyable !!
    Beautiful dog/wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post

Absolutely, he's a genius. A prolific song writer and album maker. Some of his collaborations have been fantastic, Harem Scarem as mentioned (I saw them tour it at the ABC in Glasgow), matt Sweeney, sage Francis and Tortoise to name a few. His palace brothers stuff was were it started for me and I've been a fan of his non-country music ever since.

Lots of cheap BPB vinyl on HMV at the moment.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/directQuery.do...A&Ntk=Products

Yeeharrrrrrr!

No just hang on a cottonpickindarnminute!

+ Reply to Thread