+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 12 inch tonearm

Blog Entries

Default 12 inch tonearm

Here's a few pics of a new arm I've been building. I was putting a unipivot together but someone said a gimbal arm would be better so here's my take on it. A few rough edges to knock off but it's a thumbs up so far.

Si.

Blog Entries

Here's another shot so you see the bearing arrangement

Si.

You're a talented Guy Si. I bet it sounds great. Nice cart you have there too, I like Ortofons and don't find them bright at all.

Blog Entries

Thank you kindly sir The next step is to make a tidier version and then see if I can get the parts machined properly. With the sliding arm tube I can make any length arm I want. The bearings are all on one side only which means there's only one energy path so need to decouple one opposing bearing as some do. Also I want to be able to pivot the cart in the headshell from 14 degrees to 26 degrees and that should cover it, hopefully
    Si.

Blog Entries

I forgot to say that I like my Ortofon and it really sings in the Audiomods arm. I have an old Mentor Point One arm on the Empire and it's brilliant in that too.
    Si.

That's a wee gimball babag for a big, well anything ending in ick, ya big size queen you!
    And your next project has to be a bigger plinth:-)
    I'm a fucking wanker

Blog Entries

Haha how are you Si? Aye the plinth is a bit on the small side. I built it to take a 12 inch arm too The arm is a bit longer than the norm as I used the Ortofon 309 geometry and as the name suggests it mounts at 309mm spindle to pivot point. It sounds pretty good though
    Si.

. You should call it John Holmes

Spray it Black and call it the Mandingo, has a nice ring to it.
    I'm a fucking wanker

Are you going to leave the thread like that at the end? That doesn't look too finished imho. I know it's functional as the counterweight has to turn on something but just an aesthetic observation Si.

Blog Entries

This is just the prototype and will be used as a development piece until I'm happy with it. I'm not convinced that the counterweight should exit straight from the arm tube anyway though granted the threaded portion is too long. I may separate the two functions but I do feel that the counterweight helps damp the arm tube. We'll see.
    Si.

Blog Entries

Here you go Gary, I've trimmed down the threaded rod just for you I've also taken the Garrard downstairs and put it in the main system where it sounds very good indeed.

Si.

that arm looks very interesting, looking at those pictures is bringing back out the engineering and DIYer side of me, i just wish i had access to a lathe and a flatbed mill and i'd be tempted to play again

some nice work going on there, great to see

At least we're not talking about the royal wedding over here, like on the wigwam. This is the james may hifi and music forum.

PS. Go to bed Gordon, you'll feel rough again tomorrow otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    At least we're not talking about the royal wedding over here, like on the wigwam. This is the james may hifi and music forum.

PS. Go to bed Gordon, you'll feel rough again tomorrow otherwise.
    only just woken up after what turned into a 5hr nap lol

i quite like the James May approach to things myself, i tend to try and ignore the silly topics over there, some of them are very funny though, i enjoy both sites

Blog Entries

Royal wedding? Purlease, not on my tonearm thread

The only bit I machined on my lathe was the bottom of the pillar to make room for the wiring connections and the aluminium plug that holds the wiring in the bottom of the pillar. All the rest was done by hand with a hacksaw, file and a drill stand. No milling machine was hurt during the production of this arm
    Si.

Blog Entries

I made some alterations yesterday mainly to the platform on which the arm lift and arm rest sits. I reshaped the platform to make it more symmetrical and reshaped the arm rest which hopefully is more visually appealing. I also machined two small spacer washers to get the arm lift at the correct height.

We both listened to quite a lot of vinyl yesterday and it was apparent to both of us just how much emotion this arm was capable of conveying. I have a lot of records that I thought I was familiar with until yesterday. The objective now is to build two more arms, one with Linn geometry and another with Rega geometry and see where that takes me.
    Si.

looking good, some nice fine tuning going on,

you've got me looking at the Linn Basik LVX i have here and i'm thinking, i wonder if any of that titanium tubing i have in the shed will make a nice arm tube, and will it fit ?

will be interested to see/hear about the Linn/Rega comparison

i wonder what does the longer arm do for things it must improve things or else people wouldnt bother , yours looks great i wonder if you had basic skills and the right equipment and setting up stuff other peeps could try making one , after all its a longer tube, but off course it aint that easy , i have seen some wooden things !!!!!

is it to do with the angle over therecord etc,

jb

OK, here comes the 12" is always better than 9" joke. I'm sure it's something to do with the stylus being able to track more accurately. A stylus should follow the angle/path of the cutting head as much as possible.

+ Reply to Thread