+ Reply to Thread

Thread: thorens td 280 deck advice

Cool thorens td 280 deck advice

well i have looked around in the web a bit and have decided to ask your good selfs,
    so i have persuaded a mate to get the above deck to get him going in record duties, well its got no oil in it,, but at also has no little ball bearing in the spindle shaft!!!! surley it should have one?? had a clean out of the hole , but nothing, so if any one knows if this is just the way it is pleas advice me , we have also comming soon hopefully a project rpm 4 deck e bay , but the thing seems to be taking a good while to get it posted etc!!! but i am trusting it will get posted, any way the project has all teh bits coveretc, but no stylus at all , so any thoughts on a cheap about 40 max needle to get the thing up and running , i know the cheap ortofon om5 and om10 sound ok , but any other reccomends, i know its very cheap budget but thats the way it is to get him started,

so i am going to pop some probably 3 in 1 oil in the thing to gte it started as we have had it running with no oil at all , teh thorens box is very very cheap not even a chip board but a thinner feeling thing , but i suppose for i think it cost 60 delivered and its got a om5 needle , its not a bad buy ,

i wonder whta the original selling price was , i will look it up .
    regards
    jazzbass,

Blog Entries

does the inner platter spin okay? or does it grind and stop if spun with the belt off?

bw
    j7
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

hiya mr 7 !

it does spinn around ok , but on the very quiet sections on clean records, behind solo parts you can hear this odd little ping/grong from the shft in th ehole , running in the hole with out a ball bearing, i feel it propbably should have a ball bearing to run on , these apperas a very small indentationi on the end of the shaft .

the little noises are not at all audible if i play the same record on my old threns deck you sold me .

it looks like a very small ball bearing might fit in the end of the hole supporting the platter .

it certainly stopps a lot sooner than i would have thought it shoulr do , i will investigate it further , but been trying to get hold of even a operating manual seems tricky with ou t paying for one .

regrards

jazzbass .

Hows your German

LINK
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

two beers please,!!!! or two largers pleas.

but i will get a look at the link thank you , i am sure some one will some along soon who has the answer , ball bearing or not!!! that is the question , i am pritty sure mr shakesper never wrote that in any of his playes.

regards
    jb

i had another listento griffin park the record a good while back , it sounds good !!! with my new needle, funny i owuldnt have htought that a much improved need would have mad me like a record i wasent at all impressed with before, very strange, but true for me .

regards to you
    esk .
    jb .
    Last edited by jazzbass; 7th May 2011 at 22:43. Reason: shit typing again ?

Hi JB
    try here, will need to register and log in to download, has the user manual and service manual.
    http://www.vinylengine.com/library/thorens/td280.shtml

Jon
    The answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything, Simple!! 42 of course

thank you i iwll get on this ,
    jb

hi JB,
    i cant see a ball in the exploded diagram , when you were cleaning the bearing well out did the bottom feel flat or was convex or even cone shaped? i believe thorens stopped using balls way back in the early production of the td160 , i believe your 280 used what thorens called the friction bearing! odd name for a bearing if you ask me but what do i know.
    here is a link to a very detailed instruction on how to get the best from it, including suitable oils etc
    http://www.vinylengine.com/images/forum/thorens.pdf
    not sure if you have to be a member to read it ,
    hope you get it sorted
    all the best,
    matt

thank you , i am busy at moment but will look in to this, looks like no ball bearing !!!!!! strange !! not at sure how this is supposed to work anything like properly , prehap the iol is the key !

jb

+ Reply to Thread