+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Oddities over the last 24 Hrs

I'm still with Virgin - a blueyonder address. I have a Junk folder and some messages do go into that folder (not from here) so it's active.

Can't you contact the board admin and ask a question instead of trying to figure it out yourself?

Blog Entries

I AM the board admin!

Blog Entries

The mail on my Mac doesn't have a junk folder as such. If it thinks something is junk it just leaves it an insipid grey colour and asks if you want to open it.

Still no email notifications this morning though I have replies on the forum.
    Si.

Blog Entries

Hi Si

It would appear that the problem is en-route to your email. I suspect it's getting sent to a spam folder on virgin's servers. I've no idea why that should be happening now, but since the site is now on a new IP address, that might explain it. I've done as much troubleshooting as I can, so I'll need to pass this one to the hostgator technical bods to see what they can suggest.

They are indeed being passed to the spam folder on virgin emails. I checked my spam folder and found them in there.
    Do to others as you would have them do to you. (Luke 6:31)

From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” (Matthew 4:17)

Quote Originally Posted by Chops54 View Post
    The mail on my Mac doesn't have a junk folder as such. If it thinks something is junk it just leaves it an insipid grey colour and asks if you want to open it.

Still no email notifications this morning though I have replies on the forum.
    Same with me, there isn't a Junk or spam folder, I just get the message you mentioned asking me what I want to do with it. But I can log into my virgin account on their website (instead of using Mac Mail) and I'm sure that does have a spam folder so I'll look there next.

Yes, just checked in Virgin Media Webmail and I had 82 txn messages in the Spam folder. Had a quick look at settings, filters and various options but cannot figure a way to change what's happening.

Blog Entries

If you select one of the messages, is there a link to say 'not spam' like on hotmail?

Blog Entries

This is too technical for me. I'm an electrical engineer not a computer programmer and my email notification worked fine before the cock up which wasn't down to me.
    Si.

Blog Entries

I appreciate that Si, however the problem seems to be down to an over zealous spam filter set by Virgin Media, your (and Gary's, and Umberto's) ISP.
    The messages seem to be getting blocked at your webmail. which can be accessed here:
    http://mail.ntlworld.com/

In the meantime I'm doing all I can to see what, if anything, can be done from this end to minimise the risk of the email being blocked, so please bear with me.

Blog Entries

Aye but they were never blocked before in all the years I've been on this forum so it's something on here that's changed. I'll try the link and see what where that takes me. Thanks anyway Kenny.
    Si.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I know. I suspect it's the new IP numeric address of the forum that's triggered the problem at virgin and they think that all emails from this IP are spam.
    I've asked hostgator for help.

I'm don't appear to be having any profile problems, such as those described prviously, but virtually every time I click anything, at takes FOR EVER to load....... "Slow" doens't enter into it, and if it's photos, I have to give up!!!

Could this be connected too Kenny, or is it sumfin else??

G.
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chops54 View Post
    Aye but they were never blocked before in all the years I've been on this forum so it's something on here that's changed. I'll try the link and see what where that takes me. Thanks anyway Kenny.
    do you have an online email account via your virgin Login Si? if so log in there and look in spam/junk folder, and if the xover network emails are there, click on it and tell it it's not junk

Quote Originally Posted by cartridgemangler View Post
    I appreciate that Si, however the problem seems to be down to an over zealous spam filter set by Virgin Media, your (and Gary's, and Umberto's) ISP.
    The messages seem to be getting blocked at your webmail. which can be accessed here:
    http://mail.ntlworld.com/

In the meantime I'm doing all I can to see what, if anything, can be done from this end to minimise the risk of the email being blocked, so please bear with me.
    I get a server error when clicking on that link. Thanks for looking into this Kenny, I'm sure it will be resolved soon.

Quote Originally Posted by cartridgemangler View Post
    If you select one of the messages, is there a link to say 'not spam' like on hotmail?
    Yes. I deleted the old ones (82) when I looked at the list but have had two more since so I clicked on their check boxes and then clicked on 'Not spam' and that moves them to the Inbox. I then clicked on the more info button and got the below info:

How to remove spam in Virgin Media Mail

The more you report spam, the better your mail account will get at recognising it. So it's worth spending a bit of extra time tagging any spam that you find in your Inbox. Here's how:
    To remove spam from your inbox:
    1. Select the unwanted messages.
    2. Click Report Spam.
    To remove spam from your account forever:
    1. Click Spam along the left side of any Virgin Media Mail page.
    2. Select the messages you'd like to delete and click Delete forever.
    3. Or delete everything by clicking Delete all spam messages now.
    Remember, the more spam you mark, the better our system will get at weeding out those annoying messages. If you or we should happen to goof and mark a good message as spam, click Not Spam at the top of the message. If you marked it as spam, you can also click Undo immediately after to recover the message.

Ah, I think that may have done it! I just got several messages through so telling the server those two weren't spam has let the latest ones through.

Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post
    I'm don't appear to be having any profile problems, such as those described prviously, but virtually every time I click anything, at takes FOR EVER to load....... "Slow" doens't enter into it, and if it's photos, I have to give up!!!

Could this be connected too Kenny, or is it sumfin else??

G.
    Try clearing your cache and cookies folder

Hi Guys
    Im on Virgin as well and was not getting my emails as well, Now gone into my Virgin Mail and all were in my Spam box, now marked as "Not Spam" thanks for the info, I never use my Virgin web mail so would never have thought to have looked there!
    The answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything, Simple!! 42 of course

Blog Entries

Ok, Gary pmd me and talked me through it and then Jon told me that Virgin had changed their filter settings. I've had one notification since then so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you too Kenny for putting up with my wingeing. I get pissed off with computers big time because I just can't get to grips with the bloody things.
    Si.

+ Reply to Thread