+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: O d'A turntable

Blog Entries

I could do that Gary. I don't have cnc milling facilities but I know someone who does If I do an aluminium plinth that's how I'd do it. I like the rounded corners but I'd stick with square corners for the ply plinths.
    Si.

I had a couple of hours listening to Si's turntable yesterday, I must say I was impressed on how well it sounds, Nice one Si :-) any improvments can only make it better, keep at it and you will end up with a damm good turntable.
    BTW. thanks for the cupper
    The answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything, Simple!! 42 of course

it's coming along nicely Si, will be interesting to see where you go with this one

Blog Entries

Thanks Gordon. Other things are keeping me busy right now but I aim to develop this much further. The deck is now sitting on Solid Tech Discs of Silence and sounds very good. Dougie's coming over for a visit this weekend as well as one or two regulars for an impartial listening session
    Si.

Who? Who?
    Coincidences - Gods way of reminding you that he's here.

Blog Entries

You that's who You're still coming down aye so bring a fave lp or two with you and we'll see how you like my turntable.
    Si.

Surely, I was wondering who the regulars are?

Se ya teatimeish.
    Coincidences - Gods way of reminding you that he's here.

Hey Chops, nice work on your TT. I love checking out DIY tables.

Any thoughts on how an acrylic/alluminium/acrylic sandwich plinth might sound ? I've made my own acrylic TT and thinking about replacing the stainless spacers with an allumium plate...(see pic) As much for asthetics as anything else.

And any thoughts on bearing design ? I'm currently using a Rega P3 bearing but like you would ultimately like to make my own...

Also why the main ally sub plate between the arm and bearing ?

Cheers
    Matt
    Attached Images

Matt

You are to be congratulated mate, thats a stunning looking table
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

Thanks Andy.

Blog Entries

Actually Andy it reminds me of your Garrard and yes it does look the biz doesn't it.

Matt imo aluminium needs damping, acrylic doesn't and I wouldn't sandwich the two either. I'd prefer to make the top plate out of aluminium and sit it in close contact to a sheet of acrylic to damp it. You could make the top plate from acrylic and sit it on an aluminium plate to give it some mass. Now that could be interesting.

My own turntable has come full circle and I'm back to a small footprint subchassis. It's always been my belief that the subchassis should keep the platter in close mechanical relationship to the arm and cartridge and the less surface area it has the less likely it will suffer from external influences. The plinth serves only to sit the working parts on and to partially damp the subchassis.
    Si.

Thanks for your opinion Si. Right now it's sounding pretty sweet so maybe i'll just leave it as is. It already weighs in at 13kg, any heavier and it starts to become a pain to transport to GTG's etc. Was thinking it might look nice but hadn't thought much beyond that....

Cheers
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Gutty View Post
    Hey Chops, nice work on your TT. I love checking out DIY tables.

Any thoughts on how an acrylic/alluminium/acrylic sandwich plinth might sound ? I've made my own acrylic TT and thinking about replacing the stainless spacers with an allumium plate...(see pic) As much for asthetics as anything else.

And any thoughts on bearing design ? I'm currently using a Rega P3 bearing but like you would ultimately like to make my own...

Also why the main ally sub plate between the arm and bearing ?

Cheers
    Matt
    Apart from the finish on the corners I wouldn't have viewed that as a homemade tt. You are to be congratulated.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Apart from the finish on the corners I wouldn't have viewed that as a homemade tt. You are to be congratulated.
    Thanks, i'm pretty proud of it so it's nice to get comments like that.

Best let this thread get back to Si's creation now. Appologies for the interuption.

Cheers
    Matt

Daft as it sounds but the thing that really sets it apart from other "home brew" tables I have seen, is the attention to detail such as the engraved logo (Can`t fully work out what it says other than "........Audio")

But I think that whole branding thing is important, shows attention to detail and implies quality and is something that our budding entrepreneur manufacturers would do well to take heed of
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post
    But I think that whole branding thing is important, shows attention to detail and implies quality and is something that our budding entrepreneur manufacturers would do well to take heed of
    I do hope that's not aimed at me Andy
    Si.

Chops, i wouldn't expect yours to have branding on them yet, as all you've shown is prototypes, but the finished articlee does need it as Andy says, but i'm sure you'll have that sorted when final production is ready?

Blog Entries

Presentation is where I fall down Paul. My machining skills are quite basic and I don't have the right tools for the job though I can make something perfectly acceptable for myself. Maybe I should just leave it at that.
    Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Chops54 View Post
    I do hope that's not aimed at me Andy
    Nah mate but don`t you agree it sort of gives the impression that " its all finished and very ready for sale"

Quote Originally Posted by Chops54 View Post
    Maybe I should just leave it at that.
    Very definitely not Si.

I have heard your home brews both table and arm, and in my opinion they are very acceptable machines. Ok I take your point about the machining but surely the whole point is once you have crafted the table and arm to a quality level and price point you want to hit, then you get the parts made up by people who have the machinery, and who don`t need to know what the parts are for, so therefore don`t charge you the boutique mark up, you then pull the parts together, assemble and market.

Job done

+ Reply to Thread