+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: its just a bit of wire! isnt it?

Default its just a bit of wire! isnt it?

hi all,
    i have always been a bit of sceptic regarding cable that costs a lot of money, especially considering my very humble hi fi, but the other day i got some Tellurium Q black on home dem sale or return,

it has left me flummoxed, a full and complete sonic improvement! if any cable sceptic out there wants to hear just what a bit of cable can do to a system then you really really really need to try this stuff,
    i cannot believe how much my old cable was holding back, i wont go into all the improvements as i think you all deserve to give this stuff a try in your own systems, get your fav dealer to get you some for a home dem ,run it for 24 hours and then sit and hold on to you seat, its THAT good,
    bare in mind i am a tight Scotsman and the thought of spending 350 on a 4m pair of speaker cables makes me spasm and a small quantum singularity open up where my wallet once was !
    i have always been able to hear small differences between cables but this is unreal but very real if you know what i mean
    give it a go at least, you owe it to your musical enjoyment!
    all the best,
    matt

Blog Entries

hehhe nice write up m8

being a tight scotsman myself i know how much pain spending the casho must have been

glad it made a difference for you

bw
    j7
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

Quote Originally Posted by j7 View Post
    hehhe nice write up m8

being a tight scotsman myself i know how much pain spending the casho must have been

glad it made a difference for you

bw
    j7
    hi John, cheers mate,
    its quite something , i keep asking myself , "how can this be??"

as soon as my Claymore amp is back from a re-cap i will be on the phone to get one of those shipping boxes from you to send my Xenon arm for you to work your voodoo on,
    all the best,
    matt

Nice post Matt, welcome to posting on the forum by the way instead of lurking. Feel free to contribute in the future.

TBH I dont get what all the fuss about cables is half the time. One camp say all cables sound the same and the other say they hear a difference. Both defend their opinions with vigour often becoming offensive to defend their position on some forums, one in particular.
    I've heard differences in cables but the nay sayers say its expectant bias because there's no scientific evidence to back up why one cable should sound different than another, yet the biggest difference I've heard in a cable was a negative experience when using a cable from a popular reputable manufacturer namely Nordost, it was horrid. This blows the expectant bias theory clean out of the water because expecting a positive result but ending up with a negative contradicts expectant bias.
    I suspect the vast majority of cables may sound similar or the same but with careful system matching its possible to have a cable which works in perfect harmony with your chosen speaker and amp in that it adds nothing or takes anything away.

i havent a clue what your speakers etc are , but it wont stopp me, i wonder what inmprovement you might have got if you had a tinkle with the various bits of crossover or a better set of tweeters etc, i am also a bit of a keep my wallet closed , person but i have a few wires that are i suppose a step up , well a price or two up from either the freebies in teh box or black and decker wires, but i would have to be really convinced regarding a bigger spend like yours,

happy you are haveing a inprovement ,

all the best to you ,

thank fully not too many peeps in hear seem to get too bothered about wires more interested in teh tunes,

regards

jazzbass.

Quote Originally Posted by Roksoff View Post
    Nice post Matt, welcome to posting on the forum by the way instead of lurking. Feel free to contribute in the future.

TBH I dont get what all the fuss about cables is half the time. One camp say all cables sound the same and the other say they hear a difference. Both defend their opinions with vigour often becoming offensive to defend their position on some forums, one in particular.
    I've heard differences in cables but the nay sayers say its expectant bias because there's no scientific evidence to back up why one cable should sound different than another, yet the biggest difference I've heard in a cable was a negative experience when using a cable from a popular reputable manufacturer namely Nordost, it was horrid. This blows the expectant bias theory clean out of the water because expecting a positive result but ending up with a negative contradicts expectant bias.
    I suspect the vast majority of cables may sound similar or the same but with careful system matching its possible to have a cable which works in perfect harmony with your chosen speaker and amp in that it adds nothing or takes anything away.

i am sure the proff will be along some time soon , but as he has said and i also have noted , cables are a passive device, so just different flavours of masking or revelation depending on you out look ,

mind you i have still at times spent some money on speaker wires, after getting the naim hype hitting me ,. .

cosmic

hi jazzbass, indeed i fully agree , i used cables as a matching device to help out in the system, but i do keep asking myself "how can this be?" its just a bit of flat wire, but it just keeps proving itself, Tellurium q wont tell me what they have done for obvious reasons but they were very nice in their email reply to my questions , i will never endorse something to others ,rather say just try it, a good dealer will let you have a home dem on sale or return and will only cost a bit of time listening to music.
    in this instance it ,after trying it in three very different systems the improvement is crystal clear,compared to what i have been using previously,, bizarre stuff, after all its just a bit of wire,special wire!
    all the best and happy listening
    best regards,
    matt

As I used to say to the sales staff at my old workplace, if a piece of wire is just a piece of wire there would be no need for any special cables between an outdoor TC aerial and the TV. Or we could use any piece of wire for USB, CAT5, etc. Since the wire is not supposed to be important it should be able to handle the wide frequency range without any drop outs.
    Of course, most of us know you won't get a good reception with just any piece of wire from your outdoor aerial. But your judgement is based on the fact that you can see the outcome. With audio you have to rely on your ears only, and most of us cannot make our minds up if we are hearing things or not.

Re wires, unless plugged into a power source, they CANNOT add anything, they can only take away or not, some take away more than others, theres usually an electrical reason for them sounding wildly different, small differences are often down to construction, if a wire 'adds bass' it's most likely attenuating treble and vice versa, I think the TQ is nothing more than clever geometry, Stan will have a better idea, or it may have an attached network, but a lot of people are saying TQ makes a difference, if you prefer that difference then it's 'better'

Glad you are enjoying your wire, welcome to the forum.

Sorry prof, but I have to disagree with you. From my own findings, when I had to design all sorts of cable for my previous employer ( they sell various cables by the containers load each week ) I found out that inductive and capacitive properties of different winding and isolation methods were not constant, This could create phase shifts at certain points along the frequency spectrum. On top of that you could signal reflections travelling back up the cable in the direction of the source. The end result was an addition or subtraction of the base frequency at certain points.

Yes Stan, but it's passive isn't it? So it might change things, it may attenuate, but adding?

I could have spent 300 on new speaker wire but instead it went yesterday to a man wearing overalls. The car's ABS rings had broken on both sides so reconditioned driveshafts were where that money went.

Cars eh? Fucking money pits, it's why I went for new last time, then you know your costs with no nasty surprises.

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    but adding?
    Those silver Nordosts cables certainly added far too much treble and detail for my liking which detracted from the overall musical performance. Maybe emphasize is a better way to describe it rather than adding.
    Whatever it was they didnt suit me or my system.

Add treble, or remove bass? Result us the same, no?

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    Add treble, or remove bass? Result us the same, no?
    Didnt have them in long enough to notice if the bass was removed or not.
    If you got a really dull lifeless system then Nordost would do the trick I think but ART dont do dull and lifeless.

hi guys, i am with you on this prof, its just that i am finding that the TQ cable is like an open tap, it has managed to unlock my very humble systems sound, its not adding anything as you say its passive but somehow the guys at TQ seem to have made the inaudible cable(when compared to everything else i have !) just awesome.
    all the best guys,
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by Paramaribo View Post
    Sorry prof, but I have to disagree with you. From my own findings, when I had to design all sorts of cable for my previous employer ( they sell various cables by the containers load each week ) I found out that inductive and capacitive properties of different winding and isolation methods were not constant, This could create phase shifts at certain points along the frequency spectrum. On top of that you could signal reflections travelling back up the cable in the direction of the source. The end result was an addition or subtraction of the base frequency at certain points.

well i dont quiet understand all the points in this thread , i do like stnas way of putting things, ie facts of the matter, but the issue of phases etc, i am not surre un less you got bloody goody system that you might easily spot a small differance , i an sure youo can but you can also get used to it fairly quickly , a bit like the emporers new clothes????.

the other things like variables in recordings will also have a relativlt large effect, for instance my bug bear orchestral recordings with direct mics on teh tymps , or near the tymps , but then pickng up same sounds in a stereo pair at the fornt desk of teh orchestra ,

i wonder if this 50 feet distance mighht also be important ,

i have a very sensativey / open set of marting logan electrostatics, that i thingk are rather good at setting out a open sourt of clear sound from what ever they get pushed in to them , and i can at times also hear some things that i think might be phase related , ,

some people are definatly more open to catching phase issues in audio signals,

others odnt give too much of a fig ,

regards

jb .

Oooh guys nice cable thread, TQ is not the be all and end all I suspect, it may sound different but not better, cables are all system dependant anyway I would say?
    Best Regards
    David Brook
    www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Mains Cables R Us View Post
    Oooh guys nice cable thread, TQ is not the be all and end all I suspect, it may sound different but not better, cables are all system dependant anyway I would say?
    hi David,
    Tq the be all and end all,, i would certainly hope not as there are far more expensive cables out there that i would hope also manage to do exactly what the manufacturers claim and can offer value, and of course it cant fix a poorly matched system.
    my posting was simply to point out that i have found a cable that when plugged into my well balanced and carefully considered system's the sound took a huge step up, compared to the black rhodium tango, dnm reason , qed silver aniversary cables i have tried ,
    when i unpacked the cable when it arrived i percieved bad material value, yet the sonic value in these systems has litterally made me stop wanting for a new amp or speakers or source component (ok then i still want one of those new fangled music server, streamer internet radio thingy's) as my systems, though humble, are actually better than i was giving them credit for,
    the term better is not one i choose to give to a cable but will give to the end result of having that cable installed, i prefer "TQ sounds less" and thus you get more from everything you forked out a not inconsiderable amout of cash for, and ultimately the end product(music reproduced) is enhanced ,
    all the best,
    matt

+ Reply to Thread