+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: its just a bit of wire! isnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by matt lynch View Post
    hi David,
    Tq the be all and end all,, i would certainly hope not as there are far more expensive cables out there that i would hope also manage to do exactly what the manufacturers claim and can offer value, and of course it cant fix a poorly matched system.
    my posting was simply to point out that i have found a cable that when plugged into my well balanced and carefully considered system's the sound took a huge step up, compared to the black rhodium tango, dnm reason , qed silver aniversary cables i have tried ,
    when i unpacked the cable when it arrived i percieved bad material value, yet the sonic value in these systems has litterally made me stop wanting for a new amp or speakers or source component (ok then i still want one of those new fangled music server, streamer internet radio thingy's) as my systems, though humble, are actually better than i was giving them credit for,
    the term better is not one i choose to give to a cable but will give to the end result of having that cable installed, i prefer "TQ sounds less" and thus you get more from everything you forked out a not inconsiderable amout of cash for, and ultimately the end product(music reproduced) is enhanced ,
    all the best,
    matt
    hello mate

I actually said TQ is NOT the be all and end all, mainly because I gave a customer a furutech £1500 set of speakers and the same value in Black Rhodium to test against the TQ, I fully expected him to take the TQ as I heard it was the dogs b..ox not having heard it myself, none of the 3 were purchased by him! He preferred heavens gate cables!
    Best Regards
    David Brook
    www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Mains Cables R Us View Post
    hello mate

I actually said TQ is NOT the be all and end all, mainly because I gave a customer a furutech £1500 set of speakers and the same value in Black Rhodium to test against the TQ, I fully expected him to take the TQ as I heard it was the dogs b..ox not having heard it myself, none of the 3 were purchased by him! He preferred heavens gate cables!
    hi again David, i got that, thats why i was agreeing with you when i said, "i would certainly hope not",, maybe one day when /if i have a decent enough system to justify them i will try those 'heavens gates'
    all the best,
    matt

A polite cable thread, keep it up chaps!

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    indeed, no point in getting ones under garments all of a twist, its just hi fi after all,

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Ahhh how refreshing.

Have you considered Kondo?
    Do to others as you would have them do to you. (Luke 6:31)

From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” (Matthew 4:17)

Quote Originally Posted by eddie spaghetti View Post
    Ahhh how refreshing.

Have you considered Kondo?
    hi,
    never tried them eddie, i am Kean to get the xenon mcs arm rewired with it though, all depends on funds and how much i have left after the amp gets back and i get the dc power supply and motor for the old systemdek , perhaps if i get rich one day i will try a system wired end to end with it,
    all the best,
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by Roksoff View Post
    Didnt have them in long enough to notice if the bass was removed or not.
    If you got a really dull lifeless system then Nordost would do the trick I think but ART dont do dull and lifeless.
    yeah nordost & art don't go well together, had deco 8s for a demo used nordost cables & had better sound with my monitor audio silver 8i but when i changed the nordost cables the sound was massive improvement,much better. Even better improvement when i changed from musical fidelity amps to mastersound. Ended up buying deco 8s & never looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mains Cables R Us View Post
    hello mate

hi again David,
    are you a Tq cable dealer? i cant see you on the dealer list at www.Tq.
    best regs,
    matt

I have just changed my speaker cable from kimber pr4 to fisual havana fx.what a difference.tighter bass and smoother treble/vocals now stand out better.only played a few songs today,so not run in yet.sounds excellent on iplayer(i watch it a lot to catch up, not having a tv.very pleased with the results so far.purchased from audiovisualonline.co.uk yesterday afternoon and received them 12.00 today.if your after a good cheap cable thats sure to make a difference then this could be it(its only £4 a metre).
    mike

Have you just resurrected a cable thread?

I have found out, through extensive testing that the best cables are made of wire.

Other than that it's all just

This guy has some interesting things to say about speaker cable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK53P2xo2Zg

preaching to the converted in my case

but will still ruffle some feathers
    many a good tune

Quote Originally Posted by rhmbus View Post
    but will still ruffle some feathers
    I used to get involved in all the arguing years ago, I look back on it now with some embarrassment. I never joined a thread started by an objectivist, but they seemed hell bent on derailing every thread that suggested cables may have made a difference. What i could never understand is WHY they did that. The arguments were usually long and circular.

Now i could care less if wires make a difference or not, (6+ years of selling hifi makes you a little jaded in that respect, other things to me make a much bigger difference, but wires can be sneaked in under the domestic radar) if some guy believes they do then good luck to him, funny thing is the guys who hear the most profound differences in wires are usually over 60, an age where your hearing is severely curtailed compared to the young, people in their 30's can't seem to tell the difference!

The part that interested me is how the amp sees the load. The speaker cable run is only about 10% of that path so you'd have to have pretty keen hearing to hear a difference.

being over 60 and having spent my working life as a voice/data engineer I have used and installed all sorts of cable lots I have tried in my system .as for speaker cables go lots of copper properly terminated
    many a good tune

Smile perfectly level headed i would say

o I don't ever remember the proff in hear getting too vexed about cables thankfully not too much of that religion , in hear , most peeps in hear seem to just like a tune or two , I have tried a few wires and I do hear some differnaces but , its just differences , after all , I suppose you could perhaps sort of use different wires if you can hear A DIFFERANCE,

I do wonder when you realise a lot of cds are terrible recordings squashed in to a little set of 16 bit digital stuff usually compressed , and then some ,

and lots of even expensive hifi speakers seem to my ears have cheap drive units, that give up a quiet low levels,

these are just my own wxperiances of course, I would say a decent recording is a better thing to worry about rather than leads, . I see my r Andrews is doing a up grade to speaker starting with cross overs etc , and costing from £400 !!!

I did also once buy a ra mains lead , cost me £40 I kept it but I am not actually sure I heard too much of a improvement at the time ,

however not in too posh leads I have and do use one of his little balsa wood shelf things, under a old Marantz cd player, it seems to help the presentation in some ways , . !!!! I know it sound flaky , but I doo keep in in the system ,

the shelf probably cost more than my cd and amp and speaker cables are worth ,

my little modest shed sytem consists of mix and match , a nice modern sony receiver load of channels , in and power out, probably worth £70 it has a uk tunned badge , but also a rather nice phone basic stage and radio etc, .

a much older kenwood special edition 3020 , again cheap £50 I would say , I picked mine up for a bit more,

and a set of the big tannoy dmt 12 studio monitors , or my recent set of nice big sony ssg4 speakers, I really like the sound of these, nice big 10 inch bass and a 3 inch mid with a nice tweeter , the sonys are about 25 years old , nice sears units , in all the driver I unsderstand, and play nice and loud, pretty decent magnets on the back of these things, .,

the tannoys are well , delightfull , and rated at I believe 350 watts , so that's real proper watts , no running out of bottom end with these big things, .

whoops of topic , .

jb ,

Quote Originally Posted by mike19 View Post
    I have just changed my speaker cable from kimber pr4 to fisual havana fx.what a difference.tighter bass and smoother treble/vocals now stand out better.only played a few songs today,so not run in yet.sounds excellent on iplayer(i watch it a lot to catch up, not having a tv.very pleased with the results so far.purchased from audiovisualonline.co.uk yesterday afternoon and received them 12.00 today.if your after a good cheap cable thats sure to make a difference then this could be it(its only £4 a metre).
    mike
    sounds like a right result , you will be able to sell your other stuff, and pocket the beer vouchers for tunes, or beer , or perhaps both

I have used black and decker orange wires from a defuct lawn mower, sounded fine , reached both units and cost me nothing , my mate was throwing the mower out , .

I believe black and decker do other colours , as well as dyson cables from the nackered hoovers all over the place, .

why do people spend £350 on a dyson !!!! I am not sure , my little henry hoover is 20 years old and seems to pick up dust and other crap just as well as it did when I brought it, . !!!

my mate has run a instrumental repair work shop for 30 years using the same henry, the big read thing with a smilly face on it , . and also fixed up two houses using it to clear all manor of building waste up , never missed a beat , and never been near the council dump !!,

jb

I think with very expensive systems, those in five figures and more, the price of the cable usually matches, i.e. it's pretty exotic. I can't imagine a true hi-end system with Gale Symphony 400. But if it did have that, one could argue it would sound exactly the same. I have noticed the fuss over cables has died down recently. I saw four metres of terminated Chord Odyssey 2 go for just £29.00 today. New price is well over £100.00.

Cables is cables. Dunno why my kondo works but it's probably because the conductors are separated and individually sheathed. Apart from that it's all bunkum.

+ Reply to Thread